MIL Marines walking around in cammies?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, May 26, 2005.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I know you're not aloud to, but do any of you do it?

What would happen if you CO found out?

Annnddd...other than seeing you, how would they find out?

2. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

obviously you want to come home and show ur cammies off. you can since no one in the area is as likely to be a Marine. but dont be surprised to get ur ass chewed by a Marine or an old ass retired Marine. Just where ur charlies or ur deltas

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I thought the Marines had very strict rules in regards to wearing the duty uniform off base?

4. StuDLei

We do. Its not authorized.

I had a gunny in SOI that told a story about running into a Marine wearing his cammies while at blockbuster. He chewed his fucking ass.
    His name is 1stsgt Blue. I'm pretty sure the mofo is still there. If he his, you will meet him. Trust me.

5. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i see army people walking around in their cammies all the time. they either don't wear a cover outside or they wear their beret indoors while eating. i sometimes see air force people wearing those blue work utes walking around stores.

i've only worn my cammies off duty once, my car broke down and i drove it to a nearby mechanic's shop where the guy proceeded to fix my car, shook my hand, asked if i was really a marine and when i said yes he said no charge and left me smiling.

6. StuDLei

Ive had something very similar happen. thats the shit im talking about.

7. itsnick

itsnick Guest

We can wear our BDUs off post. As far as wearing our berets, unless you are an MP, you should have it off inside. And if you are outside, you should be wearing a cover. Unless it's the prescribed PT uniform. (But you'll be on post anyway...)

If the Marines had nearly as many personnel as the other branches, you'd probably see more rule breaking too.

8. Capitals

Capitals Guest

I know I'm ready to get out of my cammis the minute work is done with. I don't know why anyone would want to wear them out in town anyways.

9. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

If you get out of work and are in transit from one place to the next it's fine, such as stopping at the store on the way home from work. However getting off of work and going to a movie or going out to eat is not authorized. Most people I know don't like hanging out in their uniform off duty anyways.

10. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I was back on base last week after being out for a year and half, there were Marines out in town in cammies! I asked a friend of mine what the deal is and he told me there was a new MCO out that you are allowed to wear them off post between 0800 and 1600! What BS! I couldnt even run out to the bank in cammies when I was in!

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Hell has just frozen over. :wtc:

12. Accord

Accord New Member

Well I guess that makes sense since it's during 'working hours' only, you're still not allowed to wear them during liberty though, right?

13. alexinpg

alexinpg Guest

Far as i know you aren't allowed to during liberty. I work near a reserve base in alabama and i see some nasty excuses for soldiers go walking up into Wendy's on lunch break, cammi's all a mess, they leave their cover IN THEIR CAR, and just overly acting nasty. Course i dont care enough to say anything about it. I just wanna eat and get back to work.

14. StuDLei

its unprofesional

15. hooahrcr

hooahrcr Chris_Hearn

we hardly do any running on post in darmstadt its to small to run long distances

16. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

:rofl: I'm posting to you now from six flags magic mountain in los angeles. Just ran into a soldier in bdu's :rofl:

17. BlackBuick1987

BlackBuick1987 New Member

?? Are you sure you don't mean Navy? Unless you are referring to the blue BDU's that are in a wear test right now.

In the Air Force you are not supposed to wear your BDU's off base except for short shopping trips and fast food restraunts, however the descision for off base uniform wear is is up to your CO, or the Base Commander. My current base your are allowed to wear your uniform anywhere anytime almost, I see people in BDU's eating at Olive Garden all the time. I think it is tacky to do so though.

18. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

That's weird, to say the least. Base commanders are allowed to make supplements to 36-2903 only if it is MORE restrictive than the afi. What base is this?

19. Fishbone Walker

Fishbone Walker Fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas wi

what is the reasoning behind this rule?

20. BlackBuick1987

BlackBuick1987 New Member

Eglin/Hurlburt Field. I see it all the time, military in the mall in uniform shopping, at restraunts (around 6 pm so I doubt its lunch time) it bothers me to see it because I think it gives off a bad image and is very unprofessional, but being an E-4 doesn't really give me much room to say something because 90% of the time the person it of higher rank. I see more officers doing it than enlisted also.

21. Ranger-AO

:werd:

You would probably see it a lot less overseas. For some reason, overseas bases take everything a lot more seriously than CONUS.

22. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

Whatever the reason,i hope it makes alot of sense cause not being able to stop for something right outside the gate sucks ballz.

Could be part of the "terrorism awareness" logic or something along those lines.
    But then again, who alternate's their path to and from work like we are supposed to?

23. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

That is allowed right now. You see soldiers in BDUs at baseball games, racing events, and the majority of theme parks.

24. Ranger-AO

We used to when I was a Navy brat and we were stationed in Naples. I was in 1st grade at the DOD elementary school in Naples, and we had several school-wide demonstrations on how we were supposed to check underneath our family cars for anything that shouldn't be there before we got into them because assholes from the communist party were setting carbombs in military POV's.

That was one helluva way to grow up. :hs:

25. Lad

Lad Guest

Marinesare NOT authorized to wear cammies off base. Unless EMERGENCY in tansit to/from place of work. Other exceptions- ALL identifying insignia is removed. I.E. No name/branch tags, parades, other sponsored events (some Marines in Boot go see the Padres Baseball Game as a reward), or you are a driver picking up/droping off someone at the airport on official business.

Reasoning: Cammies are work/field uniforms. NOT liberty items. Made for wear in combat, not walking about in the streets.