MIL Marines vs Army

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sexican, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Sexican

Sexican New Member

So, I'm definitely going to join a branch of the Military. I don't really know the difference between any of the branches - I just know that my life isn't going where I want it, and I want to learn some self respect and other useful "tools" that I could learn and use later in life. I don't even know much about why we're in this War, but I do know there has been a lot of killing.

In a nutshell, I wanted to join the Marines because I hear that they are more respected in general than the other branches. I also wanted to go through the extensive boot camp that the Marines go through and the other branches don't. For some reason I feel I have to prove to myself that I can handle 13 weeks of boot as opposed to 9 weeks the other branches go through.

My friend did 4 years in the Navy, and now he wants to go back to the Military, and since I don't know much about any of the branches, I was going to go with whatever he chose. He is choosing between Army and the Marines, but is leaning towards Army because he thinks that there are a lot more Marines dying in Iraq than Army (could someone verify this?). I wanted to do Marines, but I'm going to choose whatever he choose because he's already done boot camp and he's told me that if we sign up together, there's a big chance that we could do boot together and possibly be shipped to the same area (could someone also verify this?).

Anyway, in a nutshell - I'm clueless as to what any of the branches do, and I don't really want to get shipped to Iraq, but I DO want to go through the hardest training possible.

Any idea?

2. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

army infantry 14 weeks.

3. I'm sure there is some chance of you guys going through boot together and getting shipped out in the "same area" but I highly doubt you guys would be in the same unit or really anywhere close together. No one can guarantee that.

I respect Marines and what they do but the Army does do a lot of good things also. If you think that the chances of you not seeing combat or seeing less combat lies with the Army I can tell you that you are wrong.

4. Sooka

Sooka New Member

You have a pretty good chance of being sent to Iraq for most jobs in the Army, but not for all. In the Marines it doesn't matter which job you have, you will still be an infantryman so in the Marines you'll have an even higher chance of going to Iraq. If you want a branch of the military that has almost a zero percent chance of sending you to Iraq then go for the National Guard or Coast Guard.

5. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Go airforce dude... best advice you will ever receive.

6. NPH

NPH Guest

CHAIR-FORCE! Seriously. :o

7. FirstAidKit

FirstAidKit New Member

First off: Coast guard! Hunt the pirates and keep thier guns.

Now that that's out of my system, the gentleman who is sitting next to me and studying with me is a staff sergeant in the army medic corps, and he's offering this advice to you: take your ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) and see how you do. Then make your decision based on what your natural skills and interests lean you towards. Good luck with whatever you choose!

8. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

yeah coast guard would be a good gig too

9. USMC7684

USMC7684 Well-Known Member

Don't join the military if you're trying to avoid going to Iraq. The reason the Marine corps has a long bootcamp is to train you for war, please don't join unless you're prepared for that.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Tell your friend that he has his facts wrong:

Operation Iraqi Freedom (Deaths by Branch of Service) March 19, 2003 to May 19, 2007
    • Army: 2375
    • Marine: 931
    • Navy: 77
    • Air Force: 32
    Operation Enduring Freedom (Deaths by Branch of Service) October 7, 2001 to May 19, 2007
    • Army: 293
    • Marine: 37
    • Navy: 31
    • Air Force: 25
    source: http://www.defendamerica.mil/fallen.html

If your friend joins the Army, he will do a month of Warrior Transition Course (abbreviated boot camp), followed by AIT. You will do the full basic training and AIT.

Then don't fucking enlist, you fucking hollywood hero wannabe. :ugh2: Jesus Fucking Christ. What in the motherfuck do you think this is? This isn't a god damn camping trip with your pedo cub scout leader you fucking moron. :madfawk: You want the title but you don't want anything that goes with it. Join the fucking peace corps.

Holy fuck. I seriously want to choke someone right now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  11. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Just because I don't want to be a Grunt in a senseless war and be a soldier on the front line fighting for a War there really is NO cause for means I'm a moron? I want to help the country behind a computer, or any of the other thousands of jobs there are for the military besides going to Iraq with my dick in one hand and a gun in the other. I'll leave that job for you ;)

12. Ranger-AO

You said you want the respect that goes with being a "Marine" but you don't want to go to Iraq. So what you want is the respect that 931 Marines bought with their lives, while you sit somewhere else drinking your latte and eating your muffin. Fuck you.

I could give a shit what MOS you want. I respect any Marine or soldier that does their job, whatever that may be, wherever they are sent. You, however, are a fucking creampuff.

13. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Maybe I don't understand the whole point of going to Iraq when the possibility of dying is huge? I dislike George W. and I believe all his views on the War are horrid. If it were any other president and the War was about anything else than what George W is there for, I'd go to Iraq in a heartbeat. I think you misunderstood. I don't want to go to Iraq because my beliefs are far from the same as our current douchebag of a President. Not because I'm scared of fighting for my country - because I'm not - I'm just not going to go to War for Bush.

14. Ranger-AO

You are misunderstanding the most basic premise that the military is founded on. The military goes where the commander in chief sends it. period. end of story.

When you join the military, you give up a shitload of rights and freedoms that civilians enjoy. for the most part, you swap the comforts of the Bill of Rights for the responsibilities of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

You don't get the option of picking which war you will support and which one you won't. You go where you are sent, and you do the job you are sent to do.

15. Sexican

Sexican New Member

So, If I'm not in favor of the particular war we are in, and not fond of the President himself - I shouldn't join any branch of the military, period?

16. Sexican

Sexican New Member

I was under the impression that if you wanted to go to Iraq, you volunteered for it. I know that wasn't entirely the case, but I thought that if I scored high on my ASVAB that I could choose a job that I would be better at than going to Iraq and trying to kill people in a senseless fashion. I am excellent with computers, reading/writing, and plenty of other categories that would benefit the military/U.S. than to send me to Iraq to kill some Iraqis.

17. Ranger-AO

I'm inclined to suggest that you not ever join any branch of the military. No matter who is president and who we are at war with.

You are under the wrong impression. There are very few jobs that will never deploy. They exist, but there aren't very many of them.

You want to do some kind of computer support. They have computers in Iraq. Grab your gear.

18. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Have you done your time in Iraq?

19. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'm in the airforce and I'll be heading to Iraq at the end of the year. Not by choice either, but it was my choice to sign the dotted line. I accepted this fact and its just a part of my life now.

20. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones? :hs:

21. Ranger-AO

I will finally be getting orders to deploy sometime within the next two months.

22. If you don't like the president and don't want to go to war don't join the military. How could you possibly think that you could join any military during any war and not get deployed? I don't think you have the right mind set for the military, you should just join the academy and be a police officer if you don't like how your life is now, since all you want from the military is for it to do things for YOU.

23. xevresII

xevresII New Member

brownies are looking for a den mother. otherwise man up. you join the service you risk it all. it is your duty.

just dont enlist to run from whatever it is, in your case, life itself. good luck to you man.

24. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Don't join the military, seriously, we don't need you if you refuse to do the basic job of our military, warfighting. No one is immune to deploying. I'm Air Force, and served 3 tours, 1 to Afghanistan, 2 to Iraq. I joined to do it, and reenlisted to keep doing it. Unfortunately, the doctors said I can't deploy anymore :greddy:. Asthma+gas mask=pass the fuck out. Bad in a combat environment. I can't even fly anymore as a flying crew chief.

BUT, I did my deployments, they sucked, but I wouldn't give the experiences back for anything. And if the doc came to me and said I was good to go back, I would pack my bags, kiss my wife and kid goodbye, and get on that plane in a heartbeat, that's what we fucking SIGNED UP TO DO!! If you don't wanna go to war, don't join, go to college, get a job, and at least be somewhat productive in society.

25. USMC7684

USMC7684 Well-Known Member

Go to college douche bag, I'd rather not be in the Marine Corps than have outspoken faggots like you join. I've deployed and done my time and I'd rather not see you parade around in a uniform just for the respect that my friends helped earn with their lives.