MIL Marines: If you are a college graduate, and seeking a commission, OCS and Basic? or

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nebulous, Dec 7, 2005.

1. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

Just OCS?

Also, how difficult is it to get the job you want as an officer? I know its on a need basis, but if you wanted to get into intellegence (which I know only comprises like 5% or something of total officers) how difficult is it to get the assignment you want?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Have you talked to a recruiter at all?

3. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

Yeah, I talked at length before I decided that I wanted to go to college first, so I know alot about the process from tje enlisted standpoitn (and I realize that the question about ocs or basic is probably dumb bc im pretty sure that ocs is basic for officers....) but I just wanted to know about how likey it is to get the job you want..

Thanks btw

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Depends on the needs of the military like you said.
    If you have the scores and persistance I'm sure they could make something happen for you.

5. hitnrun99

hitnrun99 New Member

Is there a way to find out if there are any openings in the MOS (referring to the Army, sorry for the derail) I want?

6. Dzl

Dzl New Member

Becoming an officer: Go to college=>attend OCS as PLC (2-6week increments) or OCC(1-10week increment)=>graduate OCS=>graduate college=>get commissioned=>go to The Basic School=>go to MOS school=>go to first duty station=>go wherever the Marine Corps needs you

As for MOS selection for an officer, it is based on your ranking at The Basic School. They have this formula where they input several criteria (grades, rank in class, etc.) and outputs a MOS. Basically, if you are in the top 10% of the class, you will get your top 3 choices. Generally, most 2ndLt's get their top 5-7 MOS selected.

7. Dzl

Dzl New Member

That's what I orginally read about. The top of each 1/3 of the class get their top choices. However, my OSO recently told me otherwise.

8. Ice992

Ice992 5ft short of a 10ft jump OT Supporter

From what I've been told, their are 24 or 25 MOS fields... the ONLY guaranteed field is aviator. For everything else, in the first phase of OCS, you put your MOS selections in order, all 24 or 25 of them, in order from most wanted to least wanted... the selection from there, i'm ignorant to

9. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Quality Spread is the name of the game www.texaswarrior.com will explain a bunch of the college stuff, yea I know its a tx site but the programs are the same for everyone.

10. Dzl

Dzl New Member

I believe Law is guaranteed as well. However, again, there are NO guarantees in the Marine Corps. I have read experiences of several 2ndLt's who had their air contract revoked and placed into ground because of several factors. I don't ever remember putting my MOS selection in at OCS. I think you mean TBS.

11. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Yea Air and Law are the "guaranteed slots, however like Dzl said they can be revoked aka snatched out from under you, and if that happens you usually get a shit MOS, I know a couple guys that it happened to, something happens at TBS that keeps them from passing flight physical and wham its gone, in most cases never to return again.

12. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

law is guaranteed.

you're only kicked out of the JAG slot if you flunk out of law school or TBS. the command will work their butts off to get you into the JAG corps.