MIL Marines, i got a question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rambro, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Rambro

Rambro New Member

For all the Marines that read this, i just wanna know whats your MOS, what exactly do you do on an average work day, and some pro's and cons about your MOS. if you care to post more info, feel free:wavey:.

2. Rambro

Rambro New Member

btw, thanks in advance

3. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

I don't mean to sound like a troll but if you buy a sub and search you'll find a whole assload of threads just like what you're asking for. Or just go page by page and look for em.

4. NPH

NPH Guest

0121 - Personnel Clerk
    Average Day (Pvt - LCpl): You will deal with UDMIPS (software used to report entries into MCTFS; contains all data on each Marine) on a daily basis. You will have to run entries all day long.. think of it as data entry. You gotta make sure everything you type into "diary" is correct or it will fail the next cycle, which you'll have to correct or your NCO's and higher ups won't like. If you are not typing entries, you will be breaking up diaries which is basically making sure everything reported has posted on MCTFS. You will do a lot of unit diary, filing, shredding :mamoru: and cleaning the office. PROS: You are inside a building with AC. CONS: Read the the above again.

Average Day (Cpl - Sgt): Depending how much manpower your office has. The above responsibilities won't apply to you. You will spend most of your day ensuring that the junior Marines aren't fucking around on the internet and making sure that the work is getting done as stated in paragraph 1. You will spend a lot of times in bullshit meetings with your SNCO who if you are an unlucky SOB, likes to have his/her hands in the "cookie jar" way too much (always wanting to be too involved into the office matters and taking power away from the NCOs). Your days will mostly consist of checking the diaries your clerks have typed up for accuracy and timeliness. This usually happens in the mornings, after lunch.. the day is pretty "skate" as we like to call it around here. You will spend most of your afternoon trying to locate good proxies that allow you to view MySpace and other bullshit websites. You pass word to your Marines and tell them how good they are doing or what shitbags they are. This repeats itself the following day.

PROS: Again.. You work with computers, so you'll most likely be inside with AC. You're main concern is looking good, no getting wet when it rains or dealing with inclement weather as the grunts, PMO and other MOS' do.

CONS: Everyone is about ME ME ME. Nobody will be willing to help you out that much. People will be quick to take credit where none is due or after someone else busted their ass to produce such "greatness." The cutting scores for admin are fucking ridiculous (high as fuck compared to other fields). You will work side by side with civilians who in most cases are retired Marines or Sailors who put in 20 years or more - You'll have to hear their bullshit stories about the "Old Marine Corps" and how they were superman back in the day. In most cases, you will hate your job. You will get bored of everything and get tired of seeing the SNCO's bang the young gullible PFC's straight out of MOS school. You will be disgusted by the actions of your OIC's and how they too behave like the SNCO's appointed over you. 9/10 times you will see your buddies in the same MOS get the fuck out with a bad taste in their mouth or reenlist and LAT move into another field hoping to see a different side of the Marine Corps. You still have the few that reenlist and stay in that same field.. these are the ones who managed to get the sloppy seconds of their SNCO's/OIC's.. They'll carry the tradition long after they have been commissioned, etc.

5. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

This was an awesome post, i wish more people would post stuff like this :bowdown:

6. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

now i gotta type one up too, :mamoru:

7. RoblesGT

3043 - Supply Admin Clerk

Average Day (Pvt - LCpl) - new in the fleet you will do a lot of bullshit filing in order to catch up and re-organize all the stupid paperwork you have to keep. If you are unfortunate enough to get tasked with a specific important part of the Supply process, be prepared to work long hours after everyone else is secured for the day, including your Cpls, Sgts and SNCOS. You are also the clean up bitch for the whole office. Daily duties like taking everyones trash out and wiping every fucking machine down as well as vacuuming.

PROs: AC and Computer work all day. If you are slick enough you can surf almost 90% of the day.

CONs: Lots of bitch work and possibility of being micromanaged by overzealous and pompous NCOs

Average Day (Cpl - Sgt) Basically you remind any Jr. Marine of their daily tasks and constantly ask them what the status is on that task and all others and any other bullshit. You will do very little work if your Jr. Marines work their ass off which most do because they dont know any better. You will demand that they stay late while you leave early to do "NCO" things. You will make sure you put as much trash in your can so that they have trash to take out. You will also invent all types of checklists for them to fill out daily for anything ... like answering a phone or turning off the lights at the end of the day.

PROs: Since you are supply everyone will love you. You can get hookups where other people cant. If you're lucky enough to have a Fiscal clerk, you guys will control the money and will be able to purchase all types of shit for "office" use but they will magically find their way into your personal living quarters. AC and Computers all day will lead to a well fed Marine.

CONs: Everyone will come to you to "hook them up". You are expected to be able to get anything anyone needs. Every day is the same bullshit. Same reports. Same tasks, nothing fucking changes.

My personal experience I fucking hate this MOS. Its not challenging one bit and people that stay in one place for too long become somewhat too "important" in that unit and get away with murder. I'm making a Lat Move real soon out of this bullshit MOS. Our cutting scores for promotions are super low though. You can easily make Sgt in less than 3 years if you never get caught ... :mamoru:

8. Rambro

Rambro New Member

robles what are you lat moving into? we got any MP's on ot? i would like to get an MOS that see's some action instead of sitting around all day, but i dont think i would enjoy infantry fields. any more insight anyone?

9. RoblesGT

lat moving into 4341 Combat Correspondent ...from what the guys that actually DO the MOS told me ... they deploy a lot and get to document some cool shit and interview some interesting people ...

i personally dont care as long as I get out of supply ... i would have gone infantry but i dont like the idea of not having leave/freedom/time off/etc

10. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

6046- Aviation Maintenance Administraction Clerk
    Office bitch for whatever department they want to put you in.

PROs: too little to go into detail.

CONs: too much to go into detail.

cliffs: pick another MOS.

11. RoblesGT

:greddy:

12. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

A thread asking for Marines and the first responses include zero 03xx's?

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?!?! :run:

13. RoblesGT

real 03's dont have internets ... :mamoru:

14. Accord

Accord New Member

0351 - Assaultman/Demolitions

Typical day:
    -PT
    -Chow
    -Classes on land nav, patrolling, etc.
    -Chow
    -Working party at the armory, clean our weapons, etc.
    -Training out in the quad clearing the barracks, practice making mock charges, or similar shit
    -Libbo

No one in the grunts really understands what 51's do except 51's because the role of 51's changes all the time, the role of 51's from 5-6 years ago is totally different than the role of 51's today, we're like the bastards of the infantry. 5-6 years ago 51's were trained on the Javelin and shit, now our role is essentially an 0311 who is a breaching/explosives expert and that's what 95% of our training consists of. We spend 1 week on the SMAW and then everything else is all breaching, demolitions, explosives, and MOUT because that is what's needed in the type of war we're currently fighting.

I'm sure in a few years our role will be totally different and if we ever go to war with a country like Iran or North Korea, 51's will go back to spending more time on the Javelin, SMAW, etc. and not such much explosives, demo, breaching, and MOUT.

I love my job, the only thing that sucks about it is the cutting score for Cpl and Sgt are extremely fucking high.

15. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

3043 Supply Admin

Pros - get new shit whenever I want.
    Cons - work in the warehouse and get nosebleeds and kick boxes all day or get dizzy from looking at numbers.

I've only done about a week worth of my fucking MOS anyway

I got put as "0311" deployed anyway. Fuck supply I'd rather be a grunt in Iraq or Intel

16. Rambro

Rambro New Member

what do u mean u got put as 0311 deployed? they switched your mos to 0311 when u got deployed somewhere? is that in the contract or just understood with the every Marine a rifleman thing?

17. Rambro

Rambro New Member

and to Accord, i thought i saw a post saying you hated being enlisted/hated your job or something, but were just proud to be a Marine?

18. Roshambo

Roshambo Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I haven't killed anyone.

5811 - Military Policeman

Average Day - In Japan we have the Japanese Security Guard, so unless you are a shitbag or at the MCAS you won't stand gate. This means it is common for two PFCs to be rolling around on patrol. However, in the states they would be on gate checking IDs.

Road Unit - You respond to calls, from the mundane fire alarm, to domestic assaults, rape or the normal fight on pay day weekend. Interview witnesses, fill out paperwork, conduct traffic control points during accidents.

Desk Sgt - Daily paperwork, pick up the slack from off going shift. Answer the phone, and dispatch road units accordingly. Write reports on incidents. Search for good proxy server to get on MySpace.

Watch Commander - Normally a NCO-SNCO billet, however, this is the billet I fill as a LCpl. You are in charge of the shift, making sure the Desk Sgt isn't screwing off, make sure the road unit is actually patrolling, and not bullshitting around at the barracks. If you get a call that is criminal in nature you respond and overlook the road unit, if you get a suspected DUI, you conduct the Field Sobriety Test. Be the little bitch for the SNOIC and OIC, try not to fall asleep while patrolling with no partner.

PROs: No one day of work is the same. Sometimes the phone won't ring at all, and sometimes it won't stop ringing. If the district has the necessary amount of bodies the work schedule allows a 72 every other weekend. Sometimes you actually get to help people out, or do something good for someone.

CONs: No one likes you. Everyone hates you, go eat worms. Shift is "12" hours, but ends up being 14 hours without PT. Getting sprayed with OC every 6 months for training sucks. Don't plan on hanging out with anyone else other than PMO, because no one trusts you.

That's basically how it breaks down for a PVT - SSGT. It's a little different in the states, but not too much. I personally chose 5811 because I wanted to be a Dog Handler, but it's a hard secondary to get into. However, I think the training/experience I've gotten will really help with a law enforcement career when I get out. I'm really not a buddy fucker though, since I am the Watch Commander what ever happens on shift is my call, so unless the Marine is just being a complete moron, I give breaks like it's cool. I don't see the point in ruining someones life over a lapse in judgement. However, not everyone in my MOS thinks like that. :rolleyes:

19. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Yeah the corps can basically do whatever they want to do with you... esp when you are below NCO. Most of the 'resevists' (including ncos) got put into the city on entry control points, line companies, and on our security platoon. We became sentries, turret machine gunners, Radio operators, vehicle commanders, sniper dancers, and a bunch of other random bullshit while the INI staff got to live it up on the big base with good hours.

20. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

oh it's a wicked :greddy: MOS

21. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

he doesn't know anything, to include what he wants/likes at any given time

22. Rambro

Rambro New Member

hmmmmm MP doesnt sound like too much fun anymore. 12-14 hour shifts, everyone hates you, and no extra money for long shifts is it?

23. Roshambo

Nah, you just have to make sure you put in your overtime chit before pay day. Simple as that.

24. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

25. Roshambo

:wiggle: