MIL Marines, did you have an officer like this?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chucklenut, Dec 29, 2007.

1. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

A conversation at the beggining of the spearheading of the town of Nasiriyah on march 23 between a commander the troops call "Captain America" and another Marine operating the comms.

Captain America "Look! Look! Enemy infiltrators!"

Marine "Where?" (the marine looks, and notices a grouping of three large rocks near a house)

Captain America "It's an RPG Hunter-Attack team, waiting to engage us!"

Marine "Sir, those aren't even fucking moving; Those are just rocks"

Captain America "Not moving, because they are the most trained Iraqi's we've seen yet"

Captain America was actually serious, and caused 20 minutes of delay in the invasion (ironically, he never was stripped of command)

Have any of you soldiers in this forum ever encountered a person in charge of you that was so dim-witted?

I'd love to read your stories.

(BTW, I got this story out of a book called "Generation Kill")

2. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i don't get it, was he serious or just retarded and tried to turn an actual combat mission into a training exercise?

3. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

ever seen/heard that joke where the captain of a ship is telling a lighthouse to get out of the way of his warship thinking it was another ship? stuff like that happens all the time, although the captain is rarely the one doing anything, he allows everyone else to fuck up in his place..

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Go disarm those rocks!

5. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

no i wish i met an officer like that though...

but... prepare for this folks.

SFC, tabbed... high speed... 'looking.'

ok so i get to iraq i get switched to hhc, cuz im a mortar and bam i know have a guy who is on his first deployment and acts like an e-3 (im an e3 i would know). yeah turns out he is just well not so smart. i like him, he's not a bad guy, but you its like you expected something else and you got 'this guy' in charge of you, you question things.

one time while we were cleaning our mortar, he well inexplicably came over to 'help' us. by help i mean he grabbed a jug of clp and poured it right down the tube... yeah pouring out clp of a mortar sure makes you question "greatest military in the world."

he then went on to explain to all of us what a '-10' was... like we all didn't know and hadn't cleaned mortars 100 times before o say on our LAST deployment....

He does quirky things too, like he will come into our little CP area and put a movie on our tv and just walk away. just odd.

Then one day he goes into expressed detail about how his drug of choice was acid and how many hits he would take and his benders and as interesting as it was (i like drug stories!) it explained basically everything about him. How he got through the mental part of ranger I don't know more rather I would have liked to know.

He is absent minded. I hate bashing an NCO but this isn't really bashing its just my experience with him. It isn't all bad, he's not a dick or anything but like we all just sometimes wonder "huh?" He dosn't know really anything about mortars, fdc, or being a PSG cuz he came from the trail but you'd think that some of it would have been retained from somewhere down the line. guess not.

6. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Similar situation for me:

We had a Captain America also....and he was actually a captain.

We were in fallujah doing a night operation... so it was sopposed to be no noise, no lights, all blacked out. So we are in this big ass field and there's like cliffs and shit that plunge about 40ft down in spots, rough terrain, etc. We're dismounted..... so I take my fire team and section off my range of fire. We are soon surrounded by a pack of about 30 wild dogs and they are getting very fucking close. I radio to Captain America that I will shoot a dog if it gets too close to me because it looks like they are going to attack. From 1/4-1/2 mile away he laughs and says it's okay, then instructs me to shine my "surefire" (bright ass flashlight) on the dogs to scare them away. I tell him that is plain retarded. He then orders me to do it, so I comply. The mission brief stated that there was to be no light at all because of snipers in the area and shit :rofl:. I'm all up on a cliff shining my fucking light around like an asshole thanks to this idiot.

He got stripped of rank/command and booted out of Iraq and our battalion because he did a U-turn and headed back to the wire when some of our other Marines were under fire and needed to have security.

7. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

He was being serious, he believed so strongly that the rocks were "enemy infiltrators" that he caused a long delay in the convoy, so they could "engage the enemy infiltrators"

8. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member