MIL Marine PLC Training

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/rotc/usmc.htm
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinetrng/a/marineplc.htm

A friend of mine told me about this oppurtunity that happens during the summer for college students. There isn't really a lot of information on the web, so I guess I'm gonna have to go to my local Marine recruiting station.

Anway, I was wondering if anybody has possibly done this or has any valuable information about it? From what I have read, this is for civilians and you have the choice upon completion of joining the Marines as an officer :dunno:

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it, but it doesn't sound like that bad of an idea.

3. Changed

Changed Guest

:hs:
    If for nothing else, it would get me back in good shape... and you get paid a few thousand for 2 summers worth of bitch work

4. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

I did it, and have been commissioned. Gunsnwankers or however you spell it has done Juniors. Rodthrower is in the process of applying I believe. There's not too much information on here about it. www.marineofficer.com is the Marine official site. www.marineocs.com is a very good website to learn about the program. Be sure to introduce yourself when you get there and use the search function before answering a question. My name is gogators on that site.

5. Changed

Changed Guest

Is it just a bunch of bitch work or is it a serious introduction into Marine officer training? Should I try to be in excellent shape before going?

6. Accord

Accord New Member

You need to already be in good shape if you want to get accepted....

7. Changed

Changed Guest

Is PLC the same as OCS :hsugh:

8. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Yes PLC is OCS. OCS is the school, PLC and OCC are the programs at the school. PLC is for those still in undergrad, OCC for those that have already graduated. It is very serious, more so physically than mentally. Like Accord said, you have to be in pretty good shape before you go. The average pft for my company was in the 260s, but I'd say be at at least 275+.

9. Changed

Changed Guest

pft?

do you know what the dealine is for signing up? From what my said to me, I didnt realize it was that serious. Obviously he has uninformed information. On that forum people are talking about being accpeted allready (I havent even started to get in shape) which doesnt sound so good for me :hs:

10. Accord

Accord New Member

If you didn't think it was serious stuff, you were incredibly mislead.

Shit man, for 275 you need like 18 pullups, 100 situps, and a ~20 minute or so 3 mile run time.

And you also have to have done well in college and whatnot too just to be competitive... it's not like the army where they'll take anyone with a 4 year turfgrass science degree and a 2.0 gpa.

Just go talk to an OSO and he'll get you on the right track and let you know what you need to do.

11. gunsnlove

gunsnlove Guest

April is going to be the DEADLINE, like drop dead deadline. Yes I went this summer. It's a bitch, but it's not impossible. Start running NOW. Youre pretty much fucked though, if you havent started already.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

At my recruiters office there was someone who enlisted a few weeks ago that was accepted into OCS but washed out because he kept falling out of runs or some shit, I didn't really talk to him so I don't know all the details, but he basically said it's not like boot camp where they'll just recycle you or put you in the pork chop platoon if you're not up to par, at OCS they'll just flat out send you home with no second chances which is why it's so important to show up there prepared and already in shape.

13. burton564

burton564 New Member

he'll be fine if he starts now. You can get in great shape in like 8 weeks.

14. gunsnlove

gunsnlove Guest

:ugh: it took me 4 months running every day to get down to like 22:00 on my 3 mile.

granted, pull ups and crunches arent so bad, but... come on. if this kid's been sitting on the couch and is completely out of shape, he's probably no gonna run much better than a 28:00. i dont even think you can ship with over a 23:00

edit: i guess he could make it, but he's not gonna be a stud.

15. burton564

burton564 New Member

not supposed to run everyday, you can't improve if you don't rest. you just hurt your body more that way.

16. gunsnlove

gunsnlove Guest

eh, after a good 3 weeks i can usually run every day. some of it was speed, some was distance... i think we were resting sundays.

17. burton564

burton564 New Member

and i don't know about running 3 miles, i run 2 in 11:15 and i could keep going, and thats what mine has been since AIT

18. gunsnlove

gunsnlove Guest

:eek3: that's really good. i did 11 miles the other day, but 3 miles is pretty tricky. best i ever got was 21:00 at the end of OCS.

19. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

My OSO wont even talk to you if you can't hit 24:00(believe me I know :wtc:), my application is going to have to wait a yr, my OSO was honest with me and told me that I COULD apply and noone would stop me but my chances of getting accepted right now arent that great, I need to work on my pt, and he also said it's not worth havin to do it more than once if waiting a yr is the difference between outstanding pft scores, having to get NEW LOR's for the second app and all of that shit.

20. Changed

Changed Guest

21. gunsnlove

gunsnlove Guest

i read that a couple months ago. OCS is really only covered for about 15 pages. you can tell all he was really going for a "i went to war, buy my book" when he wrote that. :o interesting read nonetheless.

22. Changed

Changed Guest

yeah, I would have liked more on how he prepared for OCS and stuff that happened. The guys on the MarineOCS board seemed to really like this book.

23. bsucadet

bsucadet New Member

to thread starter.. there is an Army version of this called LTC held in Ft. Knox, KY. It is for cadets... you go to LTC for about 45 days over the summer then the next summer you go to LDAC, then when you get your degree you pin on rank of 2LT and 30 days after you leave for BOLAC

24. Changed

Changed Guest

I prefer Marines > Army