MIL Marine PLC or Army ROTC?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DC9, Jun 2, 2009.

1. DC9

DC9 New Member

I'm definitely joining the military and I want to be an officer, the question is what branch and how I will be commissioned. I want to go the ROTC route, but that means I'll have to go Army because my school does not offer Navy ROTC. How does the Army compare to the Marines in terms of discipline and enforcement? I've seen a bunch of fat slobs in the Army, but none in the Marines. That says a lot when you see that, so it got me thinking.

2. HAHA. Yeah there are no fat slobs in the Marines.

Do you know what you want to do in the Military? What branch interests you?

Do you want to get a bunch of schooling for free and a stipend and book money? Do you want extra training opportunities like Airborne and Air Assault school, Cadet Troop Leadership Training, some new Cultural Program (CULP, not sure in detail about this but it involves going to another country, my friend is in Panama right now), Mountain Warfare, etc etc etc?

I'll be honest about discipline and enforcement in ROTC....You can pretty much get away with just about anything depending on who is commanding your ROTC Battalion. It really depends on the commander how seriously people take ROTC.

If you want to be part of a group that's steeped in tradition and prides itself on being selective and smaller, go with PLC. I believe they also guarantee what branch you want, but don't quote me on that because I decided to go the ROTC route as opposed to PLC.

I was in this same predicament and I decided ROTC. You can't beat the financial package.

3. kazimer

kazimer New Member

Depends on what you want out of the military.
    I am Army and can only speak for the Army side. The fat slobs started showing up with the lengthy deployments. I deployed with a Heavy Brigade Combat Team (it was all mechanized infantry, tankers, cavalry, enigneers, and support units) The last rotation was a 15 month long deployment.

My unit had to create a FOB from the ground up out of an old tank range. This means that many soldiers were sitting in their vehicles 15+ hours a day pulling guard or going on missions as a part of the surge. If you are a maneuver "joe" you are pretty much rolling out nearly everyday of the week. The last thing you want to do after a long boring bullshit patrol is workout...so this pretty much creates an entire group of fatties. THe tankers were the worst.

We pretty much had about 4 months post deployment for personal development AND family time before the next deployment train up procedures began. Then it was an endless cycle of ranges and battle drills

I am an officer. I commissioned through OCS with the college option. Overall the Army has disciplined soldiers, its all about the units you end up being a member of, some are obviously better than others. Bottom line when you make a choice, carry pride in your branch and your level of service but dont be a douche about it.

/rambling :o

4. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I have only met one Soldier that was able to attend that school.

5. I know about three cadets that went. This was in the past though so I don't know if they offer it as much, or at all anymore. They also used to offer Robbin Sage but I don't think they do anymore.

6. Phionoxx

Phionoxx OT Supporter

There are two cadets from my school going to Robbin Sage this summer. Which is pretty much unheard of for us, we have not received slots for there in a long time. We do send peeps to airborne / air assault every summer though.

7. snoodles

snoodles New Member

the perks of army rotc is that you may contract and have school paid for. with marine plc you will not have that luxary, however, you do have the luxary of not being contracted. basically at any point before your commissioning, if you were to decide you do not want to do military anymore you could walk away.

i did the marine plc program and commission in a couple of weeks. so far i'm satisfied with how things have gone. i would echo what everyone else has pretty much said, which would be to figure out what you would like to do or want out of the military and choose accordingly.

8. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

A benefit to the PLC program (and maybe the Army has this as well) is that your pay entry base date (assuming you don't take any of the loans from the Marines) begins the day you show up at OCS. So For me, I went to OCS the first time in May 2003 but didn't commission until Dec 2005. So now, instead of 4 years time in service I have 6 years time in service.

Another thing I like about the Marine program is that everyone gets to go to TBS. So that means every Marine officer is a provisional rifle platoon commander. I started out as a ground contract but eventually switched to a law contract. So I'm a lawyer and I still got to spend 6 months blowing stuff up, shooting stuff, I even called in close air support from a section of skids to blow the hell out of a range. My counterpart lawyers in other services (except for Coast Guard, also unrestricted line officers like Marine lawyers) just went to a knife and fork school for a couple weeks. In dealing with them the difference in military bearing and knowledge is drastic.

If you want to go combat arms, I really don't know. I would imagine the Army trains its combat arms elements just as well as the Marines. But if you don't think you want to go combat arms, but still want to learn about employing a rifle platoon in combat, I would say go Marines.

Army ROTC will probably offer you more unique opportunities for summer programs as mentioned above. People seem to think Airborne school is pretty high speed, and you can't get to that if you are doing the PLC program. So that is an upside to ROTC. Does Army guarantee jobs? Because that could be a definitely plus. In the Marines the only guaranteed contracts are flight and law. If you go ground, when you get to TBS you rank what you want and then some needs of the Marine Corps formula is mixed with your class rank and you get your MOS. Anything from Finance Officer to Infantry Officer. Most likely you will get something in your top 5, but I know a guy that got his 12th pick.

Another benefit to the Army is the large bonuses they seem to give out. Although as the economy stays down and more people see the stability of a military career, it seems the bonuses are dropping.

A major con I see in going Army is that their deployments are almost twice as long. If you go on two pumps during your initial enlistment contract you're looking at like 3 years.

Is there any reason you can't do AROTC for a while, see if you like it and if not quit or if it is too late to quit just service transfer before you commission?

Long story short, I chose the Marines. I have never regretted that decision. I'm sure someone that chose the Army probably feels the same way.

9. DC9

DC9 New Member

Thanks for the info. I have been in ROTC for one year (my sophomore year). If I want to continue it into my junior year, I will have to sign the contract at the end of the summer, that's why I'm trying to figure this out now. My number one choice for job is aviation (Is flight the same thing?). If I could get that guaranteed with the Marines I will go Marines, because the Army will not guarantee it.

10. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Yes, you can get a guaranteed flight contract. That means you get a guaranteed slot at flight school. If you fail out of flight school though, its needs of the Corps again and they put you where they want. Off the top of my head Marines fly Harriers (hard to get a slot because of phasing out), Prowlers (hard to get a slot because phasing out), F18, C130s as far as planes go and 46, 53, UH1 (new Zulus are sweet), AH1 (new Viper version coming soon supposedly) as far as helos, then the Osprey. F35 coming, but who knows when.

Be sure to ask some of the Army Warrant Officers on here about the Warrant Officer Flight Program because that serves as a guarantee so far as you can pass the courses from what I understand. A great side to that program is that as a Warrant Officer you will continue flying for your career where as a Marine pilot you won't likely fly during your B Billet and once you reach Major your hours will get cut down as well.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Don't forget UAV's, you still rate wings and flight pay! ;)

12. DC9

DC9 New Member

I've looked into becoming an WO in the Army, but I really just want to be a regular officer. I know that as I get promoted my hours will be cut. How hard is it to get a flight-PLC contract?

13. I just golfed with a guy that did Marine PLC/OCS and got Aviation. From what I hear they guarantee your branch so I'd do that.

14. DC9

DC9 New Member

I probably will. I feel bad though because the cadre at my school and the other facility at my school has been working hard to get my waiver through, and now I'm going to come back and say I'm not joining the Army and making all the time they spent wasted.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

better now than later.

16. Julius

Julius Guest

fuck that. it's your life.

17. snoodles

snoodles New Member

18. Waiver for what? The Marine Corps is gonna be 100X harder to get a waiver through.

19. DC9

DC9 New Member

Alright I'm just gonna stick with Army ROTC.

20. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Don't let them pressure you into joining their service. Go with what you want. If you want to be all that you can be, go with Army, but if you want to be one of the few and the proud, well you know what to do.

21. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

I spent 9 years in the Marine Corps and now I am in an Army uniform. You are going to find fat slobs in any service. both have their pros and Cons. the NCO chain is WEAK AS HELL, in the Army and it was a bit of a shock changing over. Also Soldier really don't know their own history.....this is not something that is Service Wide, but "unit Wide"

There is a different level of Dicipline. "Show me that in the reg" is uttered so much I though I was going to go crazy. Uniform standards are lax, grooming standards are lax, training standards are lax.....

....but promotions are AMAZING!

Parris

22. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

there are 3 former USMC in my ROTC battalion, 2 of them already graduated this last spring.

i'd pick ROTC 1)more branches to choose from 2)promotion 3)more schools available in the summer (airborne, air assault, mountain warfare, robin sage, etc.)

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

who the fuck said that? you need to go back and reread the thread. :hsugh:

24. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

That's who said it. Whether he was being sarcastic, I dunno, but the statement is false. :noes: