MIL Marine Drill Instructor gets 6 months in brig

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Nov 16, 2007.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

2. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

Thx for making me click, ass.

SAN DIEGO - A military jury on Thursday sentenced a Marine drill instructor to six months in the brig and gave him a bad-conduct discharge for abusing 23 recruits.

Sgt. Jerrod M. Glass also received a reduction in rank to private and pay forfeiture. He had faced a maximum sentence of 10 years of confinement.

Former colleagues lined up to hug Glass and shake his hand after the verdict was read. Glass, 25, hugged his parents. His mother broke down in tears in the courtroom filed to capacity, mainly with Glass' supporters, including some of the recruits he was accused of abusing.

Earlier, prosecutors recommended he spend two years in the brig and receive a bad-conduct discharge.

"You need to send the message this is not tolerated," Marine Capt. Brent Sticker told jurors.

The instructor's attorney had asked jurors to take into account Glass's previous exemplary record and sentence him to 60 days of restricted duty and reduction to a rank of their choice.

"There's ways to deal with Sgt. Glass without throwing him out," Capt. Greg Jensen said.

"This wasn't meaningless, senseless violence," Jensen said of the alleged abuse. "It was done with the intent to assist (recruits)."

On Wednesday, Glass was found guilty of eight counts of cruelty and maltreatment, destruction of personal property, assault and violating orders on how to properly treat recruits. The jury deliberated two hours before handing down the sentence Thursday.

Glass was accused of ordering one recruit to jump headfirst into a trash can and then pushing him farther into the container. He is also accused of striking recruits with a tent pole and a heavy flashlight. None of the recruits was seriously injured.

During the courts-martial, witnesses testified Glass routinely stomped on recruits' toiletry kits, breaking razors and soap containers inside, for minor infractions like not displaying name tags properly. They also said Glass and another drill instructor would also line recruits up after meals and force them to down liters of water from their canteens.

Glass had worked as a drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego for less than a year when the mistreatment occurred. He was relieved of drill instructor duty in February.

Glass' mother, Barbara Glass, said, "I still believe he did not do anything he was not instructed to do ... by his superiors. If it's denied, I know it's a bald-faced lie by the Marine Corps."

Another defense attorney, Capt. Patrick J. Callahan, said he filed a clemency request to have the Marine released from the brig and have his discharge dismissed. He said they would also file an appeal.

"He took it very hard. He loves the Marine Corps. Pretty much his entire adult life has been in the Marine Corps," Callahan told The Associated Press later.

Glass had previously been an exemplary Marine, according to both the defense and prosecution. He graduated at the top of his class and volunteered for two tours in Iraq before becoming a drill instructor.

Pfc. Bradley Montgomery, 20, who was one of the recruits in Glass' platoon, said the sentence was too harsh. Montgomery testified on behalf of the prosecution under orders.

"This whole thing is ridiculous," he said. "Sgt. Glass thought of us as his own kids."

Glass was one of three drill instructors charged with abusing recruits. Sgt. Robert C. Hankins and Sgt. Brian M. Wendel are facing special courts-martial on separate charges. A fourth instructor, Sgt. Joseph Villagomez, received administrative punishment.

About 17,000 recruits graduate each year from the depot. It is one of two Marine training depots nationwide; the other is in Parris Island, S.C.

3. NPH

NPH Guest

:werd: there are worst ways you can fuck with someone mentally.. those WERE senseless fucking acts of violence. Glad he got kicked out.

4. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

meh...happens everyday on the depots. Only thing that sucks, is that he got caught..

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Kids nowadays... fucking pussies.

6. EYOB

EYOB Guest

It's feels more pleasant when you read it on the website. :dunno:

7. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

everyone's going soft....to many crybabies coming into the ranks.

8. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

I had all that shit happen when I was in boot, and that was fucking Navy. WTF do they want? a bunch of pussy ass little bitches who run crying when someone starts shooting at them?

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Bunch of fucking whiners

10. Roshambo

Roshambo Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I haven't killed anyone.

Those "recruits" are in the fleet now... I wonder if that explains the thread earlier about the boots being the way they are.

Like what was said before, Ive had all that stuff happen to me while I was in MCRD-SD. I didn't whine like a little baby about it though.

It didnt kill me. :dunno:

11. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

:hollywood:

12. Roshambo

:sandfleas:

:rofl:

13. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Wow. I thought that was just everyday life with the Marines.

14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

It is, its just that a few sheltered pussies slip in. And we also have mothers of america too.

15. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

"They also said Glass and another drill instructor would also line recruits up after meals and force them to down liters of water from their canteens."

:ugh: we did this every saturday. it was always hamburger day. after lunch we go back to the barracks and got on line so that we can drink until everyone puked chunks. then the kill hat threw a bottle of tide onto the deck and made us field day.

hitting the recruits is bad juju though. and crunching the shower bags is just mean. those fucking mach 3 razors were expensive as shit.

16. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Remember those "hurricanes"? DI's make you dump out your footlocker, and you shuffled your feet across the squadbay, around in circles , getting your shit mixed up with everyone elses. Hopefully you had your shit marked properly, or you would end up with someone elses skyvvies. I was smart enough not to fully dump out my shit. Then you'd be up all night trying to find your shit.

17. Roshambo

Yeah, we had turned in our "water bowls" and just had the water bottles. After final drill we went and filled them up about 10 times in the showers/head... the funny thing was we had NO cold water, just very hot water.

Oh, and the fact that we won final drill. That was funny too. :hsugh:

18. kidhero

we built mt. surabachi every morning. foot locker shit on the bottom and mattresses on top. i kept all my shit in those laundry bags so i never lost a single pen. :o

19. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

LOL, Mt Surabachi, ahh, the memories...

20. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Marines :greddy:.

21. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

Well put, and spoken as if you had some forward deployed experience...
    What unit are you currently with? I just want to make sure that im as far away from you as possible. There is a war going on right now and i would hate to be your only option of leaving a room alive.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

"They also said Glass and another drill instructor would also line recruits up after meals and force them to down liters of water from their canteens."

Sounds to me like he was ensuring that his recruits get properly hydrated.

23. kidhero

we all have two 1L water canteens and the head's not that far :hsugh: we were made to chug 4 canteens in a row once.

24. kidhero

why would you need to when ice cream and smoothies are aplenty? :o

25. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

:rofl: :mamoru: