MIL Marine Crew, whats your thoughts on new armor?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pusan, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Pusan

Pusan New Member

So doing pt and training I have come across alot of unit's wearing the new flaks and whatnot around Lejeune. Supposedly we are getting them before we go in country even thoguh we recieved brand new Interceptors already for this deployment.

So , are they comfortable or no? I hear they take like a couple hours to put together but some say they feel like your more protected then with Interceptor.

2. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I haven't seen the new stuff yet, but there was a flak that someone bought while in Iraq that seemed newer and I was told it was what we were changing over to.

The thing seemed like a bitch to get in and out of which makes me concerned if you're ever on fire or need to get out of the gear somehow.

3. Pusan

Pusan New Member

Well this is the new stuff [​IMG]

4. bonker77

bonker77 New Member

Is that the Dragonskin?

5. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

No the military does not use dragonskin, exept for maybe special units. It's actually against the regs to wear any type of body armor not issued by the military.

6. dura

dura Guest

At least there's something covering the small of the back.. I really dislike that with the IBAs.

7. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

I hate it. Absolutely hate it. Mobility went down big time in that thing. God help you if you're in hand to hand combat w/ that thing. Slick, it weighs just as much as the 'ol flaks ( w/ mags, ifak, grenades, etc.). They say it's designed for quick release. Bullshit. We got these a couple of weeks ago. We're going in country in 2 weeks.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

Is it true that your SGLI is voided if something happens to you and you're wearing your own shit as opposed to issued (i.e. dragonskin)?

9. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Looks like its a version made by Eagle. We wear the Eagle CIRAS and just got some new gear. It beats the IBA by far.

As I understand it. If you wear other body armor other then your issued approved armor then yes you could lose benifets. You do not want to wear Dragon Skin. Dragon Skin is flawed.

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

doubtful. sgli covers suicide, do you know how hard it is to find an insurance policy that will cover suicide (that isn't insanely expensive)

11. dontfrostthepie

dontfrostthepie New Member

per Murray Neal via email:

The Pentagon has come out and said that they cannot withhold SGLI even if you are wearing another type of armor.

12. dontfrostthepie

dontfrostthepie New Member

i always found it interesting how your boys at PS.com ride karl masters' sack on this issue. the guy works for interceptor armor; his opinions are, at best, biased, and at worst, irrelevant. and independent testing has shown repeatedly that dragonskin is superior.

13. JSin

JSin New Member

Wasn't there just a thread about this showing the dragonskin falling apart in test when it was subjected to high temperatures? Dragonskin has proved superior in room temperature settings, however, (and my favorite quote from that previous thread) "The U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps do not fight room- temperature wars."

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

From another thread here in Teh Barracks. Right-click and save the video (it's a slow link).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007