MIL Marine Corps school question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nilen2, Dec 11, 2005.

1. nilen2

nilen2 New Member

(Skip to under the ****** line to skip the misc. bullshit chatter)

Hello all, new marine here, finally finished 3 months of recruit training and on leave. We got lucky and received 21 days of recruiters assistance because of the holiday season :wiggle:

During training I was sent to have a meeting with a recruiter on base to see if I was interested in switching job fields. It was weird at first, I showed up with no clue what this was all about, the DI just told me to come with him and the Staff Sergeant drove me down to his office. I show up and he asks me if I chose my job or did someone force me to take it, I was wondering wtf was going on because nothing like that happened. But he ended up offering me more of a technical job field then what I previously had ( I chose Food Service at first, don't ask my why I thought I may actually do some cooking, but heard it is mostly done by civillians and you mainly supervise). But was told that job field was over booked and was offered a job in Electronics Maintenance field and a $5k bonus. So I accepted it figuring I'll probably enjoy working on electronics more then the job I had selected.

Anyway I got a Program Code of BZ for my job and 3 jobs in the Military Occupational fields in OPtion of:

2100 - Ordnance
    2800 - Data/Comm Maintenance
    5900 - Electronics Maintenance.

The job listed under the Program Description is Electronics Maintenance. I was just curious if anyone may know from first hand, a reference site, or from a friend where the school is that I may be stationed at and approximately how long it would be. I figure the school is around a year long since I do have a 5 year enlistment now as well.

Plus how was MCT for the Marines who went through it? Is it boring or enjoyable/fun? Anyone got any tips for making MCT / Schooling a better experience that they wish they had done, any things to bring you wish you would have? What is the living situation like at your school?

Hope this topic or links to this kind of info has not been plastered around before, did a quick look through of topics and couldn't find anything.

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

1) Welcome to the corps devil dog!

2)I have no idea why you would of picked food services to begin with so I think right off the bat you made a better choice.

My guess is you will probably be in 29 Palms for school but I could be wrong.
    Everyone gets Recruiter Assistance though. Unless you turn it down or something.

Anyways...MCT you will be fine. Just hope you are not in a platoon that is split with the females. The humps suck with them. Don't get stuck in forming either. It sucks! Get there and gtfo!
    My school was in Pensacola FL and was alright but we had to put up with alot of shit. The fleet is better. Something to look forward to for you.

See ya in Iraq. :o

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

:mamoru: