MIL Marine Corps Reserves

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kabloded, Mar 6, 2008.

1. kabloded

kabloded Guest

Who is in, and who knows people that are in? I was wondering all how it works, I want to be infrantry but I don't want to live on base and have as many restrictions and shit as active duty. Plus I want to keep going to school.

Just wondering how it all works? I go through boot, SOI, then what happens? Do I get shipped over seas or do I come back home and wait for orders to go overseas? And how many deployments would I be looking at per year? One seven month'r, or a bunch of little ones?

Anyone know?

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I'm a Marine Airwing Reservist. You can live at home. I hear Infantry deploys a lot, so I'm not sure about that. But you generally live at home as a Reservist. And if you live far enough from the Reserve Base, they will give you a room on the days you are there.

3. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

talk to your recruiter..he'll give you some basics about being the reserves.

most often than not, depending on your unit, you'll be serving 2-4 days out of the month. As a grunt, do expect to live out in the field when you drill. Its glamorous now, but realize that that means out in the butt ass cold, limited sleep, a lot of humping. U need to be up for that. two weeks in the summer, youll do your annual training. any time in between drills, you're at home...nobody bothers you, you can ass it up all you want and not PT, grow a beard, whatever. youre pretty much living life as a civilian.

also +1 on infantry getting deployed a lot. there's this thing that ive heard about reservists being more likely to get deployed than active because they like the active duty guys to stay on base and conduct daily operations (but im thinkin thats more along the lines of support jobs)

my time is up pretty soon too.

<--comm bubba

4. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

and odds are that youll likely get switched to active duty whenever the marine corps feels like it. :mamoru:

5. EYOB

EYOB Guest

:mamoru:

6. kabloded

kabloded Guest

Are you serious? :sad2:

I wouldn't mind doing a six month tour, come home and go to school, then do it again next year. But I don't want to be active duty.

I'm going to be honest, I've already "became a Marine." But I did some really stupid stuff and got kicked out a few months later. :wtc:

I hate myself for it, I loved everything minus the stupid fucking drill we have to do. But whatever its part of the package. So I know what I'll be getting into, I have friends from bootcamp graduate SOI and tell me about it. I wish I could be with them.

7. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

:ugh: Maybe its me, but somehow I dont think you would fit in well, even with reservists.

8. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

yeah, they activate reservists all the time. how about the air force buddy?

9. kabloded

kabloded Guest

Bitch you don't even know what I did. :ugh:

10. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

did you pop after your 10 day break? i don't understand how you became a marine and now want to be in the reservist.

11. kabloded

kabloded Guest

Kinda, I broke my foot near the end of bootcamp and went to BMP (Basic Marine Platoon) after graduation, until it would heal. Two and a half months after that I lost all motivation and care(ness) so I smoked. Just so happened I did it the day before out first piss test. :sad2:

I regret doing it, but at the time I really hated everything and was slightly depressed. Two and a half months of doing nothing but being treated one step above recruit sucks ass. So I don't really blame myself, oh well.

Luckily they ELS'd me, so I have a "clean" record. But unfortunatley I'd have to do boot again. Although I wouldn't mind, it was fun. Plus, having already done it I imagine I'll be at least a squad leader. Unless, the DI's find out my back story and punish me for it or something, which I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Also, if anyone knows, would I have fiveish months of time and grade already, if I joined again? Just curious, that would rock to be LCPL by at least SOI. As for the reserves, I'm still up in the air. But I have about one and a half years before I'm alloud to rejoin, so I have some time to think about it.

12. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

plz stay away k thks

13. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i was stuck in MRP for a few weeks and saw the kids that didn't get to leave because of their injuries and had to be stuck in limbo. it was very depressing. i don't know how you managed to get pot though.

have you spoken with a recruiter about this officially? i don't think that's how it works. you don't get to reenlist after you ELS. and even if you did you certainly don't get the TIG/TIS

14. spook

spook OT Supporter

What MOS?

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

mrp isnt BMP. as bmp he was allowed liberty for the weekends.
    i was in MRP for over 2 months with stress fractures in both tibias. that shit sucks, but i made the best of it and appreciated the time there and learned as much as i could from the DI's that wanted to share their knowledge.

and dude got els'd as an 8000-Basic Marine. 3months of boot and 2.5 months of BMP, so he'd still be short of 180days, which means that he couldnt even have claimed veteran status. That TIS is gone.

16. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

17. EYOB

EYOB Guest

They usually give you a heads up to get things worked out at home and with your employer (less than a month's notice), and then you become activated. You do some paperwork at the admin office, and get to work. Sooner or later you get the gear/equipment/clothing associated with active duty, usually when you job puts you in a position where you actually need it. Usually your contract denotes how long you will work. For me, it was 11 months and 22 days. A few days short of a year, which prevented me from getting better GI Bill benefits. :mad:

18. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

dont make me ethug.txt you

19. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

marine reservists, half the work, all the glory.

20. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Yeah, unless they ask you, if you've been overseas to Iraq/Afghanistan, which I always get when asked about my service. I always reply with 'no'. Then I can in their faces that they think less of me. :wtc:

21. Socrates

Socrates New Member

As someone who was a Marine infantry reservist, please stay away.

You bitched out of the Marines and you don't blame yourself? You're the one who chose to smoke, and you knew damn well what you were doing and what the consequences would be.

"I was depressed so it's not my fault..." Nobody but you can make yourself feel depressed.

Man, you're a fucking bitch. Go join another branch.

22. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

My best friend joined the Marine Reserves right out of high-school. Did all his training and was back at home for about 8 months. He then moved to California and within 4 months of being out there his unit was sent to Iraq. He was out in Iraq for 11-14 months, came back for 5 months and was then sent back for another tour. When he got back from his second tour he was getting deployed again. This time he was sent to Dijibouti for 8 months.

After his reservest 'contract' ran out he refused to re-enlist. He missed the births of all 3 of his kids (he would knock up his wife in between tours). He seems to have liked it for the most part, but now he is a car salesman so it's not like it helped him better his current life status.