MIL Marine Corps Recruiter Help! v.signonbonusswitch

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jenzos, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jenzos

jenzos Marine Corps, brb.

My recruiter just called today and offered me a different sign on bonus plan..

5 Years Active with 3 year reserve and $7500 sign on bonus.
    Vs.
    4 year active with 4 year reserve and $5,000 sign on bonus.

He said I was qualified for it because I got high enough on my ASVAB but still chose 03xx.

He also said something about i will be switching from UH to Golf1. Can anyone explain? He said it looks better also.

:noes: Recruiters always make me feel like I am getting scammed.

HELP OT!

2. Pusan

Pusan New Member

UH to golf 1? Whats that?

Id personally do 4 years and then get a fat re-enlistment bonus, youll be a at least 1 tour grunt by time to re enlist and the Corps is gonna give nice chunks of money to Grunts with combat time to re enlist.

3. anglais

anglais New Member

UH and G1, ( Uniform Hotel or Golf One) are both designators recruiters use for your requested job more or less. As an example Uniform Whiskey is presidential support duty (I believe). Unless you are really sure the Corps is what you are going to want to do for the next five years of your life I would suggest taking the four year hitch. Five years can be a long time to be locked into something that you hate. Plus after those four years is up you will be getting a larger bonus for reenlisting. More or less you will be getting more money faster. Realize that no one joins the service for the pay but it is always nice since we never have enough of it.

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

is one year of your life worth $2,500

5. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

what did you score on the asvab? im on the 5 yr plan but im about a year in

6. jenzos

Are UH and G1 the same job? What is G1?

I don't wanna be put into something stupid.

7. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

2500 not worth it

8. anglais

anglais New Member

I can't seem to find what the designators UH, and G1 represent. More then likely they are not the same job as they have different designators but i could be mistaken. Honestly you should just ask your recruite he will be able to tell you what they mean.

9. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

Former Marine Corps recruiter checking in:

UH is just a basic infantry job program. I can't remember what G1 is; I'll have to dig out my book and look it up.

If I can't find the information fast enough, and you find yourself being pressured to take the new job, DO NOT TAKE THE RECRUITER'S WORD FOR IT WHEN YOU ASK WHAT THE NEW JOB CODE IS. Ask to see a blank copy of the Statement of Understanding for the job he wants you to take. If he doesn't have his example book from Recruiter's school, then his NCOIC should be able to make a call to the Marine Corps liason at MEPS and have him fax a blank one over. If they do not honor your request to see the SOU, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING. There is a reason he's pushing a longer contract with a bigger bonus. I don't know what that reason might be, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they're trying to fuck you over. Just remember, you are under no obligation to sign anything.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  10. jenzos

Let me know please!!
    thanks

11. anglais

anglais New Member

OK, so did a little research, auctually i has to ask my SgtMaj which always turns into a 30 min conversation about nothing. This is how it breaks down. UH is basic infantry contract, four year hitch. G1 is basic infantry contract with an added year, that means a five year contract, with the bonous. So from what you said earlier G1 would be "5 Years Active with 3 year reserve and $7500 sign on bonus" So if he is telling you that it "looks" better to have G1 on paper then UH he is full of shit. It looks better for him because he gets someone in for four years instead of five.

12. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

do the 4 year and be glad they even kicked over $5000 to you, plenty of Marines don't get shit when going in

13. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

i gota 70 on the asvab i ddnt get any bonus but i also didnt go 0311 and im on the 5 yr. plan

14. Kazzander

I thought that's what it was, but I wasn't sure (haven't found my book yet).

The Marine Corps doesn't throw those bonuses around like confetti; recruiters are actually encouraged not to mention them unless someone who is a highly qualified candidate starts to walk away. The bonus is then offered as an incentive to go ahead and enlist. That's right, you could be a highly qualified candidate, but if you don't know about them, your typical recruiter will let you sign without it. The bonuses are treated as a tool, not as a given. With that in mind, here's my guess about why this is being pushed on you:

Some other applicant in your recruiter's command had some strings pulled and got that job with that bonus; not an easy one to get. He somehow disqualified himself for it, but your recruiter's command doesn't want to have to explain to the district command why they can no longer ship someone with that program. You are the next highly qualifed candidate, and if they can get you to take it, all they have to do is change the SSN assigned to it rather than hand it back.

As long as you understand that taking the G1 program means that you'll be on active duty for 5 years and in the IRR for three, rather than 4 on active duty and 4 in the IRR, there's no other 'surprise' associated with it. However, here's something that I bet the recruiter didn't mention. You don't get the bonus money right away. The Statement of Understanding (SOU) for that job program will say it, but you'll probably initial it so fast you won't see it. The bonus isn't payable until completion of your basic job training. That means that if you somehow fail out of your job school (in this case, infantry school), the bonus is void and you get nothing. This is standard for all the bonuses that the Marine Corps offers, so it's important to know.

Good luck with your enlistment, and if you have any other questions, be sure to ask. I'll find the answer, and if I can't I'll call someone who knows.

15. kidhero

98 on the asvab, was slated for intel analysis with a $10,000 bonus but canned at the last second because my recruiter didn't know reservists don't get bonuses at all. went to MEPS and some navy recruiter offered me $50k for a 6 year nuclear operator MOS. i should have said yes :o

16. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

Do 4 years and reenlist for a fat bonus. Be gracious you are getting anything. I scored an 88 back in 2002 and ended up 0311. No bonus, I wasnt expecting it. I didnt join the Marine Corps for money, I joined to fight a war.

17. kidhero

As I understand it, the bonuses are paid in installments. There's a lump payment after boot camp and then the rest will be yearly. There's some bullshit now too where if you're deployed and injured and separate from service because of your injuries, they'll ask for the bonuses back.

18. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

Congress canked the bonus return upon injury statute. That was only supposed to be upheld for Non service connect disabilities and someone fucked up. Apparently its being fixed right now.

19. jenzos

I am not joining because the money. I woulda joined the Army/Navy for that, or done a desk job.

If they are willing to give. I am willing to take. I am on the fence about taking the extra 2500 though. I feel I would like to make it a career type thing, but I haven't lived it so I can't be sure. I think it would be smarter to just reenlist after 4. What is the going % of pay towards reenlistment?

1 more month till I ship.. wooo

20. Slutmonger69

Slutmonger69 New Member

Are you shipping on the 7th?

21. bayareadave

bayareadave New Member

I was offered a 45000 signing bonus because I speak multiple languages

22. kidhero

they only do that if you're a towelhead and do the crypto option. are you?

23. anglais

anglais New Member

There isnt a straight answere to your question. The amount of money you are offered for reenlistment depends on multiple factors. Such as the job you are reinlisting for, at the moment intel guys are getting a huge bonus. It also depends on your rank how long you reenlist for and a number of other factors as i understand it. The bottom line: there is no flat rate for reenlistment. I realize that this doesnt really answer your question but gives you a bit more information.

24. Kazzander

You're correct about the first part; forgot to include that. I also forgot to mention that your bonus is taxable income, so you won't actually see the entire $5000.

25. Kazzander

Here's how reenlistment bonuses are calculated:

First of all, your MOS needs to have one. Not all MOS's have a reenlistment bonus in a given year. If yours doesn't; too bad.

If your MOS is offering a bonus, there is a number assigned to it called the multiple. This is a number between 1 and 5. When you go to reenlist, your bonus is figured by multiplying one month's base pay times the multiplier times the number of years you're reenlisting. There are actually three different reenlistment zones based on total years of service, and the multiplier is smaller for each higher zone.

As with initial enlistment bonuses, you get half as a lump sum instantly, the other half is added to your paycheck annually. It is also taxable income UNLESS..... you are able to reenlist in a tax-free/combat zone.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007