MIL Marine Corps now has a special RECON OPTION CONTRACT

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

This morning I read over on the mil.com boards about a new recon option and didn't believe it, there were rumors about this for a long time but it was always just scuttlebutt, but now it's 100% for real. So when I went into my recruiters office this afternoon and talked to him, it turns out this is true and it was just approved earlier this week.

The reason for this option is that Recon is hurting for more bodies and the indoc at SOI is so tough that like 99% of infantry Marines most who are already PT studs don't even make it through the indoc, out of more than 850 new Marines who took the indoc at SOI the last quarter, only 12 of them actually made it and even then they're still not IN recon, they have to get through BRC before they get the 0321 Recon MOS.

The way the Recon Option Contract works is basically the same way that SEAL Challenge Contract works, all it does is guarantee you the opportunity to take the indoc, NOTHING MORE. Some of the requirements for this contract are 1st class PFT, 1st class swim qual, 20/20 vision, must be able to pass an airborne physical, and a few other things.

There is also an $8,000 bonus that you are given which is paid in full IF you make it through the indoc and then make it through the brutal 6 month BRC course. If you get this option and fail the indoc, then you just just become a standard 03xx infantry Marine which is still :cool:.

This is going to attract a lot of people who otherwise were turned away from the Corps because there were never any guaranteed opportunities to take the indoc. The SEAL Challenge Contract, if you wash out of the program then you go paint ships and swab decks for 4 years, with the Recon Option contract if you wash out, then you still get to become a regular Infantry Marine.

For more information, go see your local USMC recruiter.

2. Accord

Accord New Member

Me personally, it sounds like a great contract but I already know that you need to be a 300 PFT'er and then some to be able to pass the indoc and survive in BRC/ARS and i'm no where close to being on that level right now and probably won't be even when I ship off this summer, so i'm just going to stick with my Infantry contract with MCSF option and mabye later on down the road when i've been in the fleet for a while and my body is up to the standards necessary for recon, i'll try and take the indoc, got nothing to lose.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4. Accord

Accord New Member

:werd:

99.9999% of the people who go in under the contract will probably end up failing the indoc and going to the fleet as an 03xx, but the few people who are spectacular physical specimens that do make it, this is great. You also don't get the bonus unless you actually earn the 0321 MOS.

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Good shit.

MF Recon > *

One of my GySgt's was Recon...crazy bastard. Pain was his game.

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Definitely a recruiting scheme.

Some kid signs up for the recon option, and goes home and tells his friend he is a Force Recon Marine.

Any student in SOI has the opportunity to take the recon InDoc. You have a big ass class about it where the Master Sergeant comes in and explains it and shows pictures and all that.

It's a good idea to attract more recruits though. It will just make boot camp more annoying. Now instead of hearing people in the UV option "Yeah, i'm Security Forces!" bragging, now it will be a bunch of "I signed up in the Recon option," even though the chances of making it are slim to none.

Accord, when you talk to other poolees at your pool functions, if they brag about Security Forces, tell them they are fucking stupid and tell them you hope they like firewatch.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

*guilty*

8. Accord

Accord New Member

I dunno, I spoke to an admin Marine that works at MCSF school and he basically flat out told me that there are always slots open for FAST and pretty much anyone who puts it as #1 on their wishlist gets is, so i'm looking forward to that :x:.

9. Accord

Accord New Member

I am going in as an 03xx, MCSF is merely an option where i'll spend my first 1.5 years in MCSF before hitting the fleet. There's a lot of opportunities in MCSF and especially FAST who gets a lot of seats for things like CQB school, etc. which is pretty cool and also they're deployable and all FAST units are rotating in Iraq every 3 months, so i'll get to be in MCSF and still get to go to Iraq and hopefully if all the liberals don't pull all the troops out i'll get to go back when i'm in the fleet.

edit: oh yeah, and the fact that most Marines in MCSF automatically receive the 0311 MOS is also something i'm really liking, rather than it being a crapshoot with wishlists in SOI.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

I'll definitely have a first class PFT score by the time I ship, i'm not worried about that at all.

There are no guarantee's that i'll go to Iraq if I go in as a regular 03xx, hell I could end up in Okinawa for 2 years or something and if that happened i'd be pretty pissed I didn't take the MCSF option and at least with FAST i'll definitely get to go to Iraq.

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Ahaha man I didn't know you were security forces.

me saying "tell all the guys in your pool functions they are fucking stupid" --- lol. What an asshole I feel like :).

As long as you stick with that fast stuff (i don't know anything about it, although our most badass instructor in SOI was from fast, so it must be some cool shit).

What is fast, or fast company?

12. Socrates

Socrates New Member

My reserve unit CO said that our unit will most likely NOT be going to Iraq ever again. He said after this next rotation, the numbers of troops in Iraq will decrease greatly. Of course, this is just the current rumor going around, and it's always subject to change, but it is something to think about.

Definitely true though about you might not get to go.

13. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

here goes accord again...

a) ur not in yet
    b) once your in you may hate it and want out ASAP so quit talking like you love it and USMC ROCKS ands hit
    c) combat aint all fun, trust me, dont rush into it
    d) pass boot then talk
    e)KTHXBYE

14. DaRkPhAnToM

btw ingenious idea by the USMC this recon recruit option. just like the army's 18x special forces contract, majority of the guys will fail and go regular infantry, and in the army at least they will go to the next deploying infantry unit. 18x guys who fail = free men to send to combat for army and boy do alot of them fail

15. DaRkPhAnToM

how did my post make it look like i hated the Corps. i was complimenting them on a good idea to get more recruits...moron.

16. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

ive been in the corps for 4 years now and dont know shit about recon except they are badasses. the whole secretive thing makes it even more so.

17. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Not ME :x: I hope lol.

18. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

How many did you have quit SOPC I? I think we had over 200. sent 100 to SFAS. Probably about 85 out of those made it through.

BAH NEVERMIND YOU DIDN"T GO TO SOPCI. DOH

19. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

If you don't, I hope you get enough training at your unit. SOPC is a pretty good program as far as getting in shape and learning land nav.