MIL Marine Corps infantry or Army infantry?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dmcgill, Mar 16, 2010.

1. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Currently I'm deployed to Afghanistan in support of OEF with the Army. When I get back my contract with the Navy expires eight months later. I want to do either the B2G program and go Army infantry, or enlist in the Marine Corps and go the same route. If I go Marines, of course I have to go back to boot camp and go down from E4 to E2.

My question is, is Marine Corps infantry worth the demotion? It means I won't be eligible for BAH for another year or so (until I make E4 in the Corps). I guess this is a no-brainer for most people, but I guess as a sailor I have more of a connection with the Marines so I'm somewhat partial.

Cliffs: they do the same job, don't they? Is the life of an Army infantryman the same as a Marine Corps infantryman?

2. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

army gets better shit

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

No.

One is a Marine. The other...not so much.

4. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I have friends that have done both. Mainly they started out as marine infantry and moved on to the army (infantry, officer side, and ranger batt)

They said at the end of the day they spent time doing dumb shit regardless of the branch of service. The bog difference is leadership approach, quality of life outlside of work, assignment locations, promotions, etc

Choose what you want out of the military and pursue the branch that offers those things

Again this was through conversation with others that have served in both services

5. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

I see your point, completely, which is why I'm more than likely going to go the Marine route.

kazimer, did your friends say which was better in terms of those things (quality of life outside of work, leadership approach, promotions)? From what I know, advancement in the Army is better, but it seems Marines have better leadership...I know the Marines don't get as good of equipment, but they seem to get the job done regardless. They're the ones who go in and take control, while the Army occupies afterward.

6. mothafknCHARLIEnshit

mothafknCHARLIEnshit omghi2u OT Supporter

you have high speed units in the marine corps, and you have high speed units in the army.

are you interested in going to airborne, air assault, and ranger school? maybe sf? the army has all those options.

being a marine comes with a certain sense of pride and fellowship among your brother marines though.

7. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

Just go Ranger Bat if you think you are hardcore

8. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

The job they both due is heavily dependent on the unit they are in. Biggest thing I've heard from guys I talked to, Marines, Army and former from both, is that the Marine's camaraderie is at a much higher level then the Army.

Bottom line is they are both trigger pullers and just numbers in the eyes of higher command, the brotherhood in the Corps is just stronger.

9. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

If your serious, and not even slightly a shitbag, I would suggest you look into the Army Ranger program. It will do a good job setting you up if you plan to make a career of killing people.

10. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

:werd: Honestly, the highest kind of comaraderie ive seen in the Army comes from FISTers since we're such a small group. It also all just depends on the unit. As blackfox13f said, you have high speed units, and others that are... not so much. Army treats you better, better equipment, more options for higher training, i.e. Airborne, Air Assault, Pathfinder, SF, Ranger, etc.

11. kazimer

kazimer New Member

It varied on who I talked to. Some really enjoyed the "in your face" leadership of the Marine Corps while others like the fact that the Army allows for some wiggle room for a lower ranking guy to outright question the sanity of an order

There are arguments for both sides but I have never been a Marine so I can only comment from the hearsay

All said that quality of life outside of work was much better in the Army. This kind of tied in with duty locations and the Army BOSS program. Larger "more private" barracks, etc etc. Also more time off and less bullshit details and duty

Others have stated that both branches have the levels of hooah for you. I would say if you are interested in the Marine Corps, go for it. I have never talked to anyone that regretted being a Marine. Not so much on the Army side :o

12. Kafka

Kafka New Member

I was surprised at the amount of people joining Marines at MEPS when i went for my physical recently. Marines are hardcore.

The best looking chicks were joining them too, you'd think they'd have chosen something easier like Navy or AF.

13. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Easier to bang Marine dudes that way. :naughty:

14. Kafka

Kafka New Member

lol, the dudes were primarily hispanic and black. do certain minorities prefer certain branches?
    notice a lot of asians trying to go af or navy. army seems to have everyone.

i think i was the only middle eastern/indian looking dude in the entire meps building (except for two of doctors doing examinations) :mamoru:

oh ya, this was LA btw

15. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

fisters are fags, mostly imho, but they do get to do some bad ass training ops.

from what i have seen the army spends a bulk of its money on logistics to support infantry where as the marines spend most of their money on traing the infantry.

edit: their are few black people and a decent amout of hispanics and but mostly white dude in army infantry.

16. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Thanks for all the input guys, I was actually talking to a Marine 1SG at the terminal today while waiting for a flight out of Herat to Bagram, and we had a good long conversation about this topic (He started out infantry, now he's MARSOC...did joint stuff with the Army as well). The Marines seem to fit me better, so it looks like I'm definitely going that route, damn the demotion.

17. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

Alright, next time you need fire support.... :mamoru: You're just jealous that we have the coolest name in the whole entire military.

18. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Barracks sluts in the making.
    :naughty:

19. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

Clearing barrels, if you will.

20. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Obviously you are retarded. I would say join the Marines to prevent the collective IQ of the Army from being lowered, except that EYOB already did that beyond repair.

21. kazimer

kazimer New Member

:cool:
    good luck
    i kind of had a feeling you were leaning towards the Marines :o

22. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Largest Amphibious offensive operation ever....done by the US Army! :)

23. Kafka

Kafka New Member

it seemed like 1 out of 3 army dudes at MEPS chose that fire support occupation :o

24. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Don't get all fuckin' butt hurt on me there little guy, I'm not bashing the Army or trying to say their incapable in any way. I know they see plenty of combat just as the Marines do. But, and be honest with yourself here, when was the last time you heard of a major offensive in Afghanistan/Iraq that was lead by the Army and not the Marines? I'm not talking about 100 fucking years ago in WW2. It's the Marine Corps motto for a reason...first to the fight, you know it's true so stop fuckin' crying.

IQ? If it's so high in the Army then why do they take prior-felons? Just wondering.

25. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

:rofl: