SRS Marijuana addiction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZSPTurbo, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

let me just start off by saying this: If all you have to say is "WEED ISNT ADDICTIVE DOOD OMG" then... peace out.

also, I understand that it is not chemically addictive, and it is nothing like REAL drug addiction like opiates or coke, so dont clog the thread with meaningless posts.

Now to the point.
    Since I am (obviously) new here, don't want to root through thousands of posts and cant find the goddamn search button, I just wanted to start a discussion on this to see what other people think of the issue. Anyone else dealt with this?

Heres my story so you have an idea of where I'm coming from.
    I started smoking my freshman year of highschool, and for about 2 years I actually had it totally in control. I smoked every once in a while, usually with friends but sometimes by myself at night or before/after school - I was severely limited by money and school hours. Senior year half my friends graduated and I had a very "highschool" schism with another large group of them, so all my friends were stoners and art kids. That year is when it all started. I smoked every morning before school, every afternoon after school, and every night before bed. When I went off to college, at a small school in a TINY town, I decided to join a fraternity. During rush, about 2 weeks into school, one of the guys took me to one of the seniors houses and we smoked joints and talked philosophy all day.

That senior turned out to be supplying the entire town with schwag and coke, and his place was the flop house for the smokers in the frat. Luckily, all the smokers in this frat are the intellectual type, not blank minded stoners. Anyways I quickly became his "disciple" as I was by a large margin the smartest kid of the pledge class. Also, thanks to all the freedom of college, and for the first time in my life a CHEAP and nearly limitless supply of weed, I rapidly became the biggest pot head on earth.

Everything was either preceded or followed by smoking. I was probably high for the entire school year - solid. Not more than 5 or 6 hours would ever pass between smokes. It got to the point where I literally could not eat or sleep if I wasnt high - I would wake up in the middle of the night to smoke a bowl out the window of my dorm. Second semester me and a few friends got too drunk in my dorm room and smoked in the dorm without proper ventilation. I got busted with nearly an ounce and put on unsupervised probation. But all that meant was I couldnt get in trouble for a year. The rest of the year, and the first semester of sophomore year, were more of the same - schwag all day and all night, and whenever someone would bring some good bud to town I always got a bag. The second semester of that year I moved back home (I was going to change schools the following fall).

At first I didnt have a source for weed, but after a month or two I found one. For the rest of the semester and summer, I had a good paying job, lots of spare time, and access to some serious nugs. BUT. I also had the habits of a schwag smoking student, which was basically smoke as fast as I could, and smoke much as I could while still being able to fulfill all my scholarly obligations and assignments. The problem is that without any real obligations, and with high quality nugs instead of schwag, my habits were no longer viable. And without any REAL friends back home, weed basically became my best friend. When I moved to Miami (where I now live) I brought a decent sized bag with me, because by this time I knew exactly how addicted I was and how miserable I would be if I ran out before I found a new source. And I did. I ate probably about a thousand calories per day because eating LITERALLY made me nauseous. My sleep cycle was mutated from the standard 16 awake / 8 sleep to like 22 awake / 6 sleep. I was crankier and even less motivated than when I was smoking.

Eventually the "symptoms" started to give way and I returned to normalcy. Aaaaaaand then I found another dealer lol. But now I was back in school and had a shortage of money. But I still found a way to afford weed, all the time, and I smoked, all the time. I knew I was spending too much and I knew I was being an addict. I would smoke when it was inconvenient and just generally found ways around everything that would stop me. And then Eddie happened. Eddie was another student who supplied to a lot of dealers. Eddie got BRUTALLY murdered in his house in the middle of summer (the investigation is still open), it was all over the news and everyone in the community was freaked out. My main dealers closed up shop and I was left high and dry. The symptoms returned.

I stopped hanging out with my old group of stoner friends because my entire reason for being at THAT flop house was to buy bags. It wasn't that I didn't like them, just that in my mind they were an imperfect replacement for the amazing friends I made at my old school. And when we're not smoking, that became much more apparent. After a month or two everyone started business back up. The problem was that I couldnt go back now. Everyone would think that the only reason I was ever friends with them was to buy weed - and, unfortunately, that was probably true. It's really much more complicated than that, but seeing as how I've already written a book, I wont go too much more in depth about it unless anyone cares. So, finally, I had stopped smoking, seemingly for good. I had no dealers, no stoner friends, and no real way to meet new ones. 4 months passed.

Then, about a two months ago I realized that this one kid I was friends with (through my major) was an undercover stoner. I got a bag out of him, which allowed me to meet his dealer, and started buying from him. I was amazed by how awesome it was to REALLY get high. I hadnt gotten as high as I did that first week since... well, since the last time I had taken an extended break! I tried to not smoke frequently, but over the course of the last two months I've slowly but surely accelerated my smoking more and more, now back to full out STONER status. But I made a miscalculation - I forgot to buy a bag before my dealer went home for christmas break! So yesterday I smoked up all my resin (you guys know what thats like... :ugh:) and today I had no THC at all. Its been a tough day.

For me the thing is, I don't know if I WANT to quit. Should I take this opportunity to quit for good, or can I control myself enough to follow my own smoking rules (i.e. smoke only after a test, big project, or really heavy workout, or smoke before bed)?

Bah! fucking mental addictions. If it was a physical addiction it could be me vs the drug, but as a mental addiction it's me vs my subconscious, and thats a tough fight to win.

mod edit: moved, and please don't forget to add spaces

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
  2. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

oops didnt realize there was an addiction forum... can a mod move this for me please?
    thanks.

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

It doesn't sound like you can quit, so you are tricking yourself into thinking you dont want to.

4. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Don't let people give you that "mental addiction" shit either. Some people like me have actual withdrawal symptoms when they quit such as insomnia, severe irritability, appetite loss, headache, etc.

I try to control my smoking, but it seems the only way I can really quit is to not buy anymore. If it's in the house I will smoke it. Good luck.

5. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

no I can quit, I have done so multiple times for between 1 and 5 months. Sometimes its from the situation, sometimes its a decision to quit. The last time I started again, it was a conscious, thoughtful decision.

And DJshotglass, you are exactly right. I have serious insomnia and appetite loss. But I dont feel physically addicted. I think what it is, is that your body re-adjusts its standards. Like normally, after a day of light smoking and schoolwork or whatever, at the end of the night I smoke more and more untill I just feel drowsy as fuck, and that was when I went to sleep. So now without that cue, the mental process doesnt start. Same with food. My body adjusted to always having the munchies, and without that, normalcy just feels like shit.

6. Das-Helmut

Das-Helmut OT Supporter

My brother is in the same boat you are, except you would be the captain and my brother would be, the, shit shoveler. If a boat had one of those. He was a completely different person when he stopped smoking for like 2 months. He could hold intelligent conversations, and I felt I actually had a brother again. Then he slipped back into it and it's like talking to a teenager. Nothing gets in, and he does whatever the fuck he wants.

If you have control over it, I would just say balance it out so you dont get your priorities fucked up. Like the ability of it to hinder your career status. My older brother is 28, lives in a shed with my rents, on a couch. he delivers car parts to the tune of $9 an hour. he is stuck because of NO college, and every decent paying job requires a pee test.

Are you more productive when you smoke? Focused? Or did you start as a hobby and it parlayed into what is is now?

7. ChasenIS

ChasenIS New Member

That is all mental though. You brain is much more powerful than you give it, your subconscious is over thinking an you your-self is what is causing you to have the withdraws not your body having a lack of THC.

8. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

Guess what? I bet most people can not tell the difference between fake withdrawal and real withdrawal, so who gives a shit?

9. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

yeah I totally understand what you're saying. Something I've noticed about pot smokers over the years is that they are divided into two distinct groups. Everyone gets goofy and retarded when they start smoking, but some people find a way out of it. See when you get high it doesnt make you dumber, or more creative, it just puts you into a different mode, like running OSX instead of windows. If you try to act like its the same old same old, and still "right click" then nothing will work right and you'll be a zombie like your brother. But if you are able to realize that you have to change your mindset, then you can tap into the benefits of being high, because you are able to see the world from a slightly different persepective.

For me, I am still in college in a creative major/profession (switched majors late and had to start aaaallll over), so smoking isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hell, multiple professors are noticably "stoney" if you know what to look for, and they are prominent in their field.
    I am certainly not more focused or productive when I'm high, but like you said, if I can reel it in and control it I might be able to actually benefit from it...

10. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

I think you're a little bit confused dude. I've seen real withdrawl. Just from having seen it I can tell the difference lol.

11. i killed tupac

needing a chemical to do that seams like a big red flag to me

12. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

You can not even spell "withdrawal". Please shut the fuck up.

13. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

A few things that have helped me when I needed to stop is to get rid of all my paraphernalia, stop hanging out in places I'd be tempted to buy a bag or smoke with friends, and fill my time with more constructive things.

The biggest thing ever, I mean EVER to help me stop is to just get up off my fucking ass, and absolutely decide to stop smoking. Its a conscious decision that you absolutely must want. Until you actually come to that point, your going to keep smoking.

14. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Wrong. I am not hallucinating my symptoms.

15. noorudeenshakur

noorudeenshakur New Member

I quit this week. Couldnt handle the panic attacks I started to get when I smoked too much

Ill stick to drinking jack daniels with my buddy Radar Roy Reyer :)

16. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

I smoke almost everyday but I always do it after I've done everything I need to do so it doesn't interfere with my life.

17. Motosaki2

Motosaki2 Guest

you ever sucked a dick for marijuana?

18. northw3st

northw3st New Member

do you want to be a pothead the rest of your life? if not, then quit. there's really no advice to give on how to quit smoking pot. like many have said, it just depends on how bad you want to quit.

19. Fachh

Fachh New Member

everything in this post is right, exactly what I had to do to quit

20. Firewall97

Firewall97 Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

psychological problems are generally harder to solve than those that arent. just have enough will power to do what you want. good luck :hs:

21. i killed tupac

what he wants to do is stop smoking dope

22. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

This is always the response I get. Yes we know heroin has a worse withdrawal, butthat doesn't mean that weed doesn't have any.

There is no difference between physical and mental addiction. It's all signals interpreted by your brain...

23. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

There is a huge difference actually. Withdrawing from a mental addiction doesn't cause you to become physically ill.

24. Zephyr

Zephyr New Member

honest advice i can give you, you need to find something you want to do. start a business, join a team, do something that'll make those around you proud or some shit. just get a hobby, work on something like cars. plays in competitions. get busy.

the key isnt to dry up your sources, and that rehab shit does not work. just get active with something.

25. TankedOutSuicide

TankedOutSuicide These aren't the DJs were looking for...

Exactly what I do. I never smoke just for the hell of it. Its always either on the weekends or IF i have time during the week