Marantz, yamaha and bose...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by snailtrail83, Oct 3, 2003.

1. snailtrail83

snailtrail83 Member

I'm thinking of buying a marantz receiver(sr6300) and dvd player (dv4300) at the moment. What do you guys think of this receiver and dvd player? Are the yamaha ones in the same price range better?

I also have been looking for speakers. There's so many choices that it becomes very confusing. I've leaning towards getting a yamaha sub (ystsw800). It is rated at 800 watts I think, and I don't think there is anything in the price range that sounds as good. Any other recommendations?

And finally, I had a listen to some bose speakers today. I need some advice here.
    The setup is:
    For the front two speakers, the 601 series 4.
    For the two rears, the 301 series 5.
    And two centres (one for front and rear), VCS-10.

This is what the sales guy told me i should go for in my price range for bose speakers. I didn't really get a good feel for the sound quality, because of the yamaha sub that I was in awe of. I personally think the centre speakers are really crap, the fronts are ok, and the rears are pretty good for bookshelfs. I'm also not sure if these combination of speakers are suitable for each other. (The salesman didn't seem to have much of a clue).

Am I better off going for other speakers? Like B&W, or M&K? Any other recommendations? I'm looking to spend about $1500US on speakers only (does not include sub).

Thanks in advance...

2. uflathead

uflathead Guest

Bose? :barf: You can do SO much better than that cheap shit.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

for 1500 you can find much better brands im not big on home audio so i cant help to much with brands there are a few on the board who can though

4. 04

04 Guest

I don't have any experience with the sr6300, but Marantz makes great equipment, so I don't see any problems with that unit. As for the dvd player, you might want to go with something cheaper though.

Yes you would be MUCH MUCH MUCH better with B&W and M&K. They are both GREAT speaker brands, while Bose is overpriced for what you get.

I suggest getting that Marantz receiver, and the B&W or M&K speakers that you feel sound the best to your ears and can get loud enough for your tastes. You could actually just get 2 very nice stereo speakers and then spend the rest of your 1500 dollar budget on the rears. You don't necessarily need a center channel, depending on your listening position. I would suggest spending about 1000 to 1200 on a great pair of floorstanding speakers, and the remaining 300 to 500 on some nice surround speakers. I wouldnt spend more than 150 dollars on a new dvd player though, what are you using as your display device?

How much is the Yamaha subwoofer? You might be able to get a better value for the same price...

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

marantz=great
    yamaha=pretty damned good
    bose=blows
    b&w=great

6. snailtrail83

snailtrail83 Member

I know that in general, the more expensive dvd players generate better picture quality, but does it also affect sound? Why wouldn't you spend more than $150 on a dvd? Would it be a waste of money if you bought a great amplifier and a cheap dvd player?

Also some of you seem to just look at the brand bose, and think the speakers suck. I agree, that in general, bose is overpriced. But have any of you actually gone and heard, or know for certain that the speakers i am talking about suck? I'm not being critical, i just want to know if some of you guys actually are talking from experience.

Anyway, back to the point. The yamaha sub retails in australia for about $1500. So in the US, that would equate to about $800. I've checked some US prices, and i can't believe how much cheaper your prices are. Some places sell it for as cheap as $400, while others do sell it at $800.

As for my display device, I'm also looking to buy one at the moment. I'm looking to buy everything in the one place, so that I can get a discount. I want something big, and have got a budget of about $5000. I'm thinking of getting the 60 inch LG LCD rear projection tv. Some people have recommended other brands of rear projection LCD, like panasonic, but i can't find those models over here.

Anyway, thanks guys! Especially 042801. You've been a great help in my other threads too.

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i have heard many different bose set-ups(used to be a rent to own place next to the stereo shop i work for, that sold them.), even owned some bose as a kid.

yamaha we used to sell, where we did home audio at the stereo shop i install for.

my boss has b&w in his home.

marantz was the first home receiver i ever owned.

8. 04

04 Guest

No, the sound should be the same on a 50 dollar player as a 5000 dollar one, and if you are using the digital audio out, I don't see how it would be possible for the dvdplayer to have bad sound unless it adds EXCESSIVE amounts of jitter to the signal.

I understand why you would say that about Bose. I agree, most of the people who bash Bose havent really heard them before. BUT, I have heard the wave radio extensively, the 201's the 301's the 901's and multiple lifestyle systems too. I was not impressed by any of them. The 901's sounded the best out of the bunch, followed by the 301's, but they were too much money for what you got IMO.

9. snailtrail83

snailtrail83 Member

After lots of contemplation, i've finally bought my speakers. I went with B&W. For the fronts, I got the floorstanging 603 series 3. For the rears, I chose the 601 series 3, and LCR 600 series 3 for the centre chanel. Not only do these speakers sound really good, they look fantastic as well. After listening to these, i'm glad i didn't buy the Bose speakers. However, i didn't buy the B&W sub, because i actually liked the sound and feel of the yamaha ystsw800 better. I believe this is one of the best subs you can buy in the price range.

I took the advice you guys gave me and didn't bother buying another speaker for the rear. Instead, I think i will get a better receiver. I originally was going to get the marantz sr6300, but I think it is worth investing in the model above sr7300. I've also thought about the yamaha receivers, and they are pretty similar in my opinion. Both are very good, but the marantz is available in a goldish color, instead of boring black, so i chose them. They also match my speakers.

As for the DVD player, i haven't really decided on that yet. I could go with the matching marantz dvd, but i'll take my time on this. In the meantime, i could make do using my ps2 as a dvd player.

Thanks for all your help guys!

10. snailtrail83

snailtrail83 Member

Oh yeah, one more question. I almost forgot.

I've been told that these speakers require a breaking in period. I that term only applied to cars... oh well... Anyway, do speakers really sound different once hours of music has been played? And how long are these breaking in periods?

11. 04

04 Guest

No the "break-in" period for speakers is mostly hype. Speakers DO break in, but its odd that it would be audible in any way. Most people believe that their is a HUGE break-in difference because they are getting used to the sound that the speakers make. After many hours of listening to a pair of speakers, you simply get used to the way they sound. At least thats my guess as to why people claim such differences over time. The problem with break-in is how do you determine if a speaker sounds different after breaking in? The only real way to test that is to play music on a pair of speakers for many hours, and then set them up side to side with a brand new pair and perform a double blind test to see if one can distinguish any difference. I know of no tests such as this though.