GUN Map of botched police raids

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Sep 5, 2007.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Slow to load, but INTERESTING.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Wow, that's quite a good resource. I like how they back it up with details of each event too.

4. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

5. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Very interesting, found an especially fucked up one in LA:

Cliffs: Police departments essentially fabricate marijuana allegations against a rich guy in order to use drug-related asset seizure laws to take his ranch to use for government projects. No knock raid prompts the guys wife to start screaming, causing the guy to come out of a room with a pistol, an then get killed.

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Lovely...

AD, my ass.

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

And another good one... shoot a guy in the back. Good jobs guys.

8. Joe Somebody

What amazes me is how these officers are never held accountable.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Well on that note, who would you hold accountable? The officers who carried out the raid? what if they were given the wrong address? The officer that planned the raid? The entire department? I agree that something should be done but it isn't all that clear what and who should be accountable.

That being said its good information and I like that they give some details, still I would like to see it on a map with more information, maybe population density or demographics.

10. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You can only hope you take one out with you, apparently that's the only justice you'll get :dunno:

11. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Well in the two instances I posted, you can hold the officer that shot those people accountable.

1) A paraplegic woman shot and killed? :wtf:

2) A man with his back turned and moving away

12. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Well there's a serious miscommunication somewhere along the line. True it may not be that easy to track down but holy shit someone needs to determine where along the way someone made a mistake! It's not that hard, I mean we're not talking about fate here, someone fucked up plain and simple. Either someone issued a warrant on insufficient info or someone gave that person incorrect info, or someone wrote the address wrong which means they were not using any sort of double check. I don't see how this is really that possible if everyone involved is doing their job correctly. The problem here is no one wants to speak up and say "him, it was he who F'd this whole thing up!" because their all in it together. It's BS. Every other organization in the country is held accountable for their mistakes so why not the police? I just can't see how anyone in charge of a situation like a no-knock would allow it to happen without some degree of confirmation that they are doing the right thing. If I did that at my job I'd be fired because people could die, same here.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Andrea Baker, Erik Kush, Julie Madrigal.

July 23, 2004—AZ

Police conduct a massively armed raid on a home they suspect contains illegal assault weapons and ammunition. In a densely-populated, upscale neighborhood, a SWAT team from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department, complete with an armored personnel carrier, uses grenade launchers to fire at least four rounds of tear gas into the windows of the home. The quarter-million dollar home catches fire shortly after officers enter.

As the homeowners evacuate, police officers chase the family's 10-month-old pit bull puppy back into the burning house with puffs from a fire extinguisher. The dog perishes in the flames. Police allegedly laugh at Andrea Baker, the dog's owner, as she cries at their cruelty.

Later, the brakes fail on the SWAT team's armored personnel carrier, causing it to lurch down the street and smash into a parked car. The car's owner, Julie Madrigal, had fled the car just moments earlier with her nine-year-old daughter after the two grew frightened by the firing of tear gas canisters by SWAT officers.

The home is completely destroyed. Nearby homes are also put at risk. Police find no assault weapons, only an antique shotgun and a nine-millimeter pistol, both of which are legally owned. Nevertheless, police arrest 26-year-old Erik Kush on outstanding traffic violations.

The sheriff of Maricopa County is Joe Arpairo, who made national headlines in the 1990s for his aggressive treatment of inmates and unconventional approaches to crime control. One member of Sheriff Arpairo's SWAT team once told CBS News reporter Jim Stewart the best part of being on the SWAT team is that, "You get to play with a lot of guns. That's what's fun. You know, everybody on this team is--you know, loves guns." Another adds, "Hey, the bottom line is it's friggin' fun, man. That's the deal. Nobody wants to take burglary reports."

and

The Phoenix Hell's Angels Raid.

July 8, 2003—AZ

In July 2003, police in Phoenix, Arizona conduct a pre-dawn drug raid on a Hell's Angels club. Police knock, then wait just six seconds before deploying a flashbang grenade and forcing their way into the clubhouse. Michael Wayne Coffelt, asleep at the time, awakes to the grenade and quickly arms himself with a pistol. When Coffelt, who thought the clubhouse was being robbed, approaches the door, Officer Laura Beeler shoots and wounds him.

Beeler would later claim that Coffelt fired at her, though a ballistics test confirmed that Coffelt never discharged his gun. Police find no drugs in the clubhouse. Prosecutors later bring charges against Coffelt for assaulting a police officer. In dismissing the charges, Maricopa Superior Court Judge Michael Wilkinson describes the raid as an "attack" in violation of the Fourth Amendment, and that Coffelt's actions were "reasonable behavior, given the hour and the fact that the house was under attack."

Wilkinson also determines that Beeler's mistaken belief that Coffelt had fired at her was also understandable, given the volatility of such a raid, and that she -- an officer trained in paramilitary procedures -- may have misinterpreted the flashbang grenade for a gunshot.

14. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

These people sicken me...

15. Joe Somebody

You hold everyone accountable, all the way up the chain. The commanding officer for obtaining the warrant on ficticious information, the leading officer on the raid for not confirming the address, and every officer who acts inappropriately.

The solution is to get the courts or the DOJ involved. It's pretty clear the departments are unable to audit themselves.

16. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

:madfawk: No knocks.

17. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

This honestly is my biggest fear. No knock mistake - I will grab the gun near me and will be gunned down.

I then will be labeled a nut job cause I have a scarey AK-47 in the closet.

18. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

:werd:

19. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

The atlanta police got held accountable after they shot that grandmother, but I think if they hadn't planted drugs afterwards they would have gotten off scott free

20. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Really your only hope is to either not get shot, or take out the entire force (unlikely) and flee to mexico. Either way you're fucked.

21. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

these fucking morons really make me angry. i cant even describe what i want to do to these pigs. it really makes me sick. just fucking sick. this is what our country has turned into, a fucking hypocritical police country. its time to take it back damnit :mad:

22. Finest

Finest OG #93

Wow. Just wow. She must have been one helluva threat! :bowdown:

BTW, of course it was an AD. Leave no witnesses, case closed!

The one about the rich guy sounds exactly like how they did that one guy in Training Day.

23. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Officer James Jensen.
    On March 13, 1996, the Oxnard, California SWAT team conducts an early morning drug raid on a home that turns out to be unoccupied. In the maze of smoke and light that follows the deployment of a flashbang grenade, a fellow SWAT team member, who would later reveal his judgment was clouded by Vicodin, mistakes Officer James Jensen for a hostile occupant of the house, and shoots him dead.
    Jensen's family would win a $3.5 million settlement from the city of Oxnard in 1999.

:mamoru:

Professionals, eh? Was he carrying a Glock .40?

24. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Donald and Amber Mundy.
    In February 2004, police in San Bernardino, California looking for cocaine break open the door to an apartment occupied by Donald Mundy and his twin sister, Amber. When officers realize they have raided apartment 204 instead of apartment 214, as specified by the warrant, they conduct a search anyway, and arrest Amber Mundy on charges of marijuana possession.

Isn't that illegal? They entered her home without a warrant.

A requirement for officers is a high school diploma, right? :ugh:

25. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

If that ever happened to one of my kids, I would do my best to ensure the officer got what he deserved.