Many various computer problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Feb 2, 2004.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i had these listed in another thread, but the title of that thread was something that i was already able to fix...so here are my problems

1) loading personal settings box at windows xp startup hangs for 1 to 2 minutes...before today it would basically come on and off the screen and bootup instantly...now it is just there for awhile for no apparent reason...i was having problems with divx movies not playing except in divx player...then uninstalled all my codecs as well as my video card drivers...when i rebooted, my loading personal settings box just hung for awhile...now it does this every single time

2) a friend installed some windows xp icon pack...but apparently this icon pack was for windows 98 so it could have xp looking icons and transparency...well when i uninstalled this program, my transparency on the desktop icons is gone...i have not found a way to bring this back so right now i'm running a small windows 98 program at startup to get the icon background text to be transparent...i also have no idea where this program is...i've tried searching for it but i have had no luck...any help on this would also be very appreciated

3) i have an 80gig master and a 200 gig slave...since win xp doesn't recognize over 136gigs, i have to use an ide card and use their software to set up the drive...but i had just formatted my entire machine around that time so i don't remember if i setup the drives within windows setup first and then partitioned them using the wester digital program...but anyways, i tried to use the western digial program to format the drives and then partition them...now my 200gig drive has magically gone from 4 50gig drives (how i set it up using the western digital software) to its current 2 50 gig drives, and a 6 gig drive and a ton of unallocated space

when i go into the western digital program, i have to format and partition, i cannot just partition

i don't have the backup space right now...i have 1 of the 50 gig partitons full (starting filling it before i even noticed...if this had even happened before)...anyways, my 80 gig is full also

now in the other thread someone mentioned how with a new dll file, winxp will recognize over 136 gig drives...but it still does not

[instructions i was given from other guy in other thread...

3. as long as you have SP1 installed, windows will support drives up to 2.2TB. You may want to check to make sure you have the correct ATAPI driver (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp).

After than, just right-click my computer -> management -> Right-click an unallocated region -> New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition-> New Logical Drive.

In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

]

basically i did all of that and it didn't work

4) [font=verdana, arial, helvetica][font=verdana, arial, helvetica]evertime i shut down my computer, explorer.exe will force quit...because of this, many of my settings aren't saved...this has been happening for awhile so i would say that it doesn't have anything to do with the loading personal settings problem (since that just started)...so like i have iconpackager but everytime my computer boots up, i have to reopen icon packager so i can get all my icons looking the same...even if i rebuild the icon cache and reboot it won't save these settings (i'm pretty convinced it is because explorer.exe hangs on shutdown)

[/font]
    [/font]5) [font=verdana, arial, helvetica][font=verdana, arial, helvetica]devldr.exe is not responding...a common problem for sound blaster live owners with windows xp...i have done many searches on this and everyone says that i need to uninstall the card, and then rather than having windows detect the card, download the newest drivers for it and install those...well i downloaded the newest drivers and installed them and then it asks me to reboot...when i boot back into windows, it "automatically recognizes my new hardware" and once again uses windows drivers for it so everytime i shut the computer down, the devldr force quits...the problem of these drivers not properly installing may have something to do with problem number 4 above, but the problem #4 above is not happening because of this...basically what i'm saying is that when i installed the new drivers after i had uninstalled the card, it told me to reboot...when i went to reboot...magic, the devldr.exe thing didn't pop up but explorer.exe still did...but then when i logged back into windows it uses windows drivers for the card...i have treid the "update drivers" through the properties of the card, but the drivers off the creative website come in an exe file and even when i install it there are no actual driver files i can find (as in i can say "have disk" when i am reinstalling them through but i can't find the drivers anywhere)

k thats all i can think of...these are all the problems i'm having with my computer that nobody seems to know how to fix...there has to be ways to fix all of these

i also do not want to format...i have 130 full gigs that needs to be backed up and no place to back any of it up

any help is greatly appreciated...thanks
    [/font]
    [/font]

2. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

3. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

1, 4 and 5: Normally I wouldn't recommend a program like this but I really like TuneUp to help alleviate a lot of nit-picky errors in XP. The trial is fully-functional.

2: Can't really help you there. ActivIcons will do that, but it's just more system resources you'll be eating up.

3: Try to get your hands on a copy of PartitionMagic. I don't know if they have fully-functional trialware or not, but it will let you resize partitions and such w/out losing data (I mean, there's a risk anytime you do something like that, but generally speaking it works great).

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i have a fully registered version of partition magic and it reads the extra size of the drive, but won't let me do anything with it...it comes back as being extended i think (i'm at work right now...i'll check when i get home)

5. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

do you run mcafee antivirus?

6. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i normally don't run any antivirus but i just installed and started running mcafee

but all of these problems were there before the mcafee installation program was even on my computer

7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

well downloaded this tune up program...fixed a bunch of registry and other errors...even set it to handle my icons, went through and picked out what each icon should be seperately

reboot

exact same

loading personal settings takes forever and my icons are not saved...when i shut it down, i still had devldr and explorer end task on me

8. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

9. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

10. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

if you are still having problems with it why not back up ur data and wipe the computer clean and do a clean install?

you dont say anything about the computer being a ciritcal need, it would save you a lot of time, and possibly money.

11. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i'd have to wait until the summer to do that...i really don't have the time to do a full backup/format/install while at school...and i don't want to format because i just did not long ago at all...i've got everything how i want it except for the above problems

12. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

1) loading personal settings box at windows xp startup hangs for 1 to 2 minutes...before today it would basically come on and off the screen and bootup instantly...now it is just there for awhile for no apparent reason...i was having problems with divx movies not playing except in divx player...then uninstalled all my codecs as well as my video card drivers...when i rebooted, my loading personal settings box just hung for awhile...now it does this every single time

1) Did you uninstall everything or just delete it? Something could be looking for a deleted file and that could be causing your delay. Have you reinstalled your video drivers?

If you can't get anywhere, do a google search for a file called bootvis (it's made by microsoft but is no longer offered by them) that speeds up boot times.

2) a friend installed some windows xp icon pack...but apparently this icon pack was for windows 98 so it could have xp looking icons and transparency...well when i uninstalled this program, my transparency on the desktop icons is gone...i have not found a way to bring this back so right now i'm running a small windows 98 program at startup to get the icon background text to be transparent...i also have no idea where this program is...i've tried searching for it but i have had no luck...any help on this would also be very appreciated

Right-click My Computer and click on properties. Then select the Advanced tab and click on Performance Settings. Click on Adjust for Best Appearance and click OK, OK

3) i have an 80gig master and a 200 gig slave...since win xp doesn't recognize over 136gigs, i have to use an ide card and use their software to set up the drive...but i had just formatted my entire machine around that time so i don't remember if i setup the drives within windows setup first and then partitioned them using the wester digital program...but anyways, i tried to use the western digial program to format the drives and then partition them...now my 200gig drive has magically gone from 4 50gig drives (how i set it up using the western digital software) to its current 2 50 gig drives, and a 6 gig drive and a ton of unallocated space

when i go into the western digital program, i have to format and partition, i cannot just partition

i don't have the backup space right now...i have 1 of the 50 gig partitons full (starting filling it before i even noticed...if this had even happened before)...anyways, my 80 gig is full also

now in the other thread someone mentioned how with a new dll file, winxp will recognize over 136 gig drives...but it still does not

[instructions i was given from other guy in other thread...

:slap: it says to do a lot more than what you wrote - read the instructions and try it again

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...s/q303/0/13.asp&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1

4) evertime i shut down my computer, explorer.exe will force quit...because of this, many of my settings aren't saved...this has been happening for awhile so i would say that it doesn't have anything to do with the loading personal settings problem (since that just started)...so like i have iconpackager but everytime my computer boots up, i have to reopen icon packager so i can get all my icons looking the same...even if i rebuild the icon cache and reboot it won't save these settings (i'm pretty convinced it is because explorer.exe hangs on shutdown)

It sounds more and more like your computer is just loaded with too much garbage - get rid of that icon packager crap and see if this still occurs.

5) devldr.exe is not responding...a common problem for sound blaster live owners with windows xp...i have done many searches on this and everyone says that i need to uninstall the card, and then rather than having windows detect the card, download the newest drivers for it and install those...well i downloaded the newest drivers and installed them and then it asks me to reboot...when i boot back into windows, it "automatically recognizes my new hardware" and once again uses windows drivers for it so everytime i shut the computer down, the devldr force quits...the problem of these drivers not properly installing may have something to do with problem number 4 above, but the problem #4 above is not happening because of this...basically what i'm saying is that when i installed the new drivers after i had uninstalled the card, it told me to reboot...when i went to reboot...magic, the devldr.exe thing didn't pop up but explorer.exe still did...but then when i logged back into windows it uses windows drivers for the card...i have treid the "update drivers" through the properties of the card, but the drivers off the creative website come in an exe file and even when i install it there are no actual driver files i can find (as in i can say "have disk" when i am reinstalling them through but i can't find the drivers anywhere)

Uninstall the drivers, turn off the computer, physically remove the card, start computer and install drivers, turn off computer and reinsert card, turn on PC.

Or, delete the drivers that Windows is reinstalling.

k thats all i can think of...these are all the problems i'm having with my computer that nobody seems to know how to fix...there has to be ways to fix all of these

i also do not want to format...i have 130 full gigs that needs to be backed up and no place to back any of it up

You really need to wipe your system and install everything from scratch.

13. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

the instructions were kinda confusing...am i supposed to follow all of this?

To enable 48-bit LBA support by means of an unattended installation with the Microsoft System Preparation (Sysprep) tool:
    1. Copy the following text into Microsoft Windows Notepad and save the text as the 48bitLba.inf file:[version]
      signature="$CHICAGO$"
      SetupClass=BASE

[DefaultInstall]
      AddReg=48bitlba.Add.Reg

[48bitlba.Add.Reg]
      HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters","EnableBigLba",0x10001,1
    2. Create a file named Cmdlines.txt, which includes the following lines:

[Commands]
      "rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\48BITLBA.INF"
    3. Locate the Sysprep\I386 folder in the Sysprep image, and then create a $OEM$ subfolder in this folder.
    4. Copy the 48bitlba.inf and Cmdlines.txt files into the Sysprep\I386\$OEM$ folder.
    5. In your Sysprep.inf file, add a key named InstallFilesPath to the [Unattended] section. This key must have the following value: InstallFilesPath = "C:\sysprep\i386"
    To add the preceding settings to the Images folder, which had been created with the Riprep.exe program:
    1. On the remote installation server that contains the Riprep image, create a Sysprep\I386\$OEM$ folder in the following folder:

RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Riprep_dir_name\I386\Mirror1\UserData

Note The word "Language" in the preceding path reads "English" for the English language, and "Riprep_dir_name" is the unique name that you selected for the Riprep image.
    2. Copy the 48bitlba.inf and Cmdlines.txt files into the $OEM$ folder.
    3. Modify the Riprep.sif file in the RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Riprep_dir_name\I386\Templates\Riprep.sif folder (and any other template files for this Riprep image that you may have created), and then add the OemPreinstall and InstallFilesPath values so that they are set up as:

[Unattended]
      OemPreinstall = "Yes"
      InstallFilesPath = "C:\sysprep\i386"
    4. Close, and then save the file.

14. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

ok your solution worked for making the icons transparent

i tried to optimize the system with bootvis and it still hangs at the loading personal settings box

when i did a next boot + driver delays, the only odd thing on the graphs is the logon+service (66.43 sec)

everything else looks normal and the cpu is basically not being used during that logon+service time