Many Questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blindsight, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Mainly because of three people here (Loudsystem, Soundguy, and 042801) I thought I would post various questions I have thought up as I have started obsessing over audio lately. Feel free to ignore or whatever, I will find "answers" eventually, I just want the "OT perspective" to to speak ;)

First of all, anyone have any experience with Focal TD5 tweeters? Are they "worth" ~$500?

Is it even worth it to design and build home audio speakers (2 channel hifi)? I think it is.

If you were to build a two speaker cabinets with identical dimensions, etc, but from two different materials (ie, MDF vs laminated birch ply), would you possibly have to change your crossover points, or any other design features for that matter?

Anyone have any experience with Blackhole 5?

Anyone have experience with "transmission line" style speaker cabinets?

Scanspeak>Focal or Focal>Scanspeak? (In general or specific terms)

Agree or disagree: "high quality amps with flat frequency response, low noise and low distortion all sound pretty much the same if kept within their power and current capabilities."(Cut and paste from another site)

What speakers (or just bare drivers) would you purchase for 2 channel hifi on a $1500 budget? On :unlimited budget:?

I welcome anyone to take a crack at my (admittedly crappy) questions :hs: :wiggle:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2003
  2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Damn, given the choice between Scanspeak and Focal in a home setup, I don't know what I'd go with. It'd be such a hard choice. In car audio I'd probably go with Scanspeaks higher end stuff with a custom xover.

Have you considered Eaton or SEAS Excel drivers in this setup? Hit up www.madisound.com and check a few things out.

With that said, my knowledge of home audio is pretty limited, just trying to throw out a few more options for you :p

Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

just im me ive delt with almost everything youve listed in your thread ( meaning all products and enclosures )

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Yeah... choosing between focal and scanspeak is really tough. I've actually heard focal speakers in person, while scanspeaks, I have not. :hs: I was floored by the focals though :big grin:

I've also checked out everything at madisound.com already ;) The Thort TL using Seas drivers looks very tempting...

5. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

If you don't want to go the custom route, you might want to check out Snell Acoustics. I think their E.5 towers fit in your price range unless you want to spring for the XA's, which run around $12,000 a pair.

Polks LTi line got very favorable reviews from Stereophile also, as far as mass-market speakers go.

But personally I think you'd be happier going the custom route, plus you can say you built them yourself once they're finished. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from that. Since I'm much more of a car audio guy, I'll shut up now and get out of this thread.

6. 04

04 Guest

Its not worth it to DESIGN your own home speaker design. YOU WILL FAIL MISERABLY :nono: Trust me, I have done it, and blew 80 dollars on parts for an inexpensive pair of speakers that I designed. Textbook crossover, and while it sounds a lot better than cheap computer speakers and the like; it would get beaten by a pair of $200 retail speakers. I suggest you go with a proven design.

As for MDF vs. Baltic Birch, the odds of needing to change the xover would be about 0.1%... Seriously, it wont change the sound audibly at all.

Blackhole 5 is a ripoff IMO :o

What do you need to know about transmission lines?

I personally would go with Scanspeak over Focal, but thats just me, both are nice brands.

You know my answer to the all amps sound the same question :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

For $1500 I would build the THOR transmission line, its even a transmission line like you asked. It would kick the shit out of anything you could buy for the same price. http://www.madisound.com/thor.html

It uses scanspeak drivers too :) I would go with the standard crossover as well.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I have looked at the Thor extensively.. it is still very interesting after everything I have looked at..

The *only* thing I disagree with you about is that I would screw up a speaker design.. I can nail a design if I have enough research put into it :big grin:

BTW - what all equipment do you have in your listening setup(s) 042801?

8. 04

04 Guest

I realize that about anyone could design a speaker, but do do your own, you HAVE to buy measurement software and mics and such. Going entirely by ear is a recipe for disaster. I mean, I could too design my own speakers that sound good, but I don't want to drop the 1K on Leap and the associated electronics :sad2:

My setup includes:

Dayton Br-1s (that are about to be replaced by Pispeakers 3pi theaters)
    Technics sadx1050 reciever
    behinger feedback destroyer (a parametric eq for my sub)
    QSC rmx 1450 power amp for sub
    Blueprint 1803 18" subwoofer driver in a 16cuft box tuned to 18hz

Cmoy headphone amp
    Sennheiser hd-600's

Once my lazy ass finally gets around to building the 3pi's, I will move the br-1's to the rear.

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

You know, I might just heed you on your advice of designing my own cabinent - for now ;)

I have been looking at fostex full range drivers .... and I found plans that I like .... all I can say is: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Edit: Are you sure you have enough low freq response in your system? :eek: :big grin: ... I've had my fill of bass since owning an Orion HCCA 12"... :hs:

10. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest