GUN Man's arsenal included more than 32 firearms

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 21, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man's arsenal included more than 32 firearms
    Officers were warned of cache of weapons
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006
    By Michelle Hunter
    East Jefferson bureau

Before sheriff's deputies tried to take William Christy into custody last week for a mental health evaluation, authorities had been warned that he might have several guns inside his Metairie home.

But when the tear gas cleared after a 19-hour standoff in which two deputies were wounded and Christy was killed, investigators entered the two-story Elmwood Park house and found an arsenal of more than 32 firearms, including an AK-47 assault rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun, an Uzi submachine gun and several thousand rounds of ammunition.

Christy, who was killed by a SWAT team sniper, had even built wooden shooting platforms underneath several windows to steady his weapons.

"He was ready to do battle," said Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee, who displayed all the weapons collected from Christy's house, at 4624 Alexander Drive, during a news conference Tuesday.

Lee also updated the condition of Deputy Russell Varmall, who was shot in his upper arm during the standoff. The bullet ripped a fist-sized hole in Varmall's arm and shattered the bone. But Lee said the deputy is in good spirits and is expected to completely recover. Deputy Everett Beelman was shot in the lower torso, but the bullet did not penetrate his body armor. He was treated and released the same day.

The firearms displayed covered three large tables and a wall's ledge in a conference room of JPSO headquarters in Harvey.

Officers identified the AK-47 that they believe Christy used to fire armor-piercing rounds at deputies. On another table was a black tactical vest that investigators said Christy was wearing when they found his body in a second-floor room. In one pocket was a .45-caliber pistol and in other, 12 magazines loaded with ammunition, about 120 rounds total, Lee said.

Christy's collection of firearms included several smaller handguns: a Smith and Wesson .45-caliber Colt and a Ruger .357 Magnum. For bigger firepower, he had several semiautomatic assault rifles, a Mac-10 submachine gun and an M-1 carbine -- a firearm used by the military between the 1940s and the 1960s -- fitted with a silencer made out of a soda bottle.

Christy, a Vietnam veteran, had boxes of magazines and ammunition, five knives, a rusted sword and a baton. Also found in the house was a life-size Dracula mannequin that had been masked and armed with a plastic gun taped to its hand. Lee said Christy may have intended to use the dummy to distract officers.

"We knew he had weapons, but we had no idea he had prepared the way he did," Lee said.

Lee said, however, that Christy did not arm himself and fortify his house in anticipation of the department's attempt to take him into custody. Christy probably didn't even know the Sheriff's Office was coming, he said. Instead, Lee speculated Christy was preparing for the National Security Administration, the federal agency relatives and neighbors have said he feared was out to kill him.

A relative who went to the Jefferson Parish coroner's office June 13 to apply for an order for protective custody told officials that Christy was "extremely paranoid about the NSA," believing members of the agency had lined his fence posts with dynamite and had snipers positioned in neighboring houses waiting to take a shot, the order said. A hand-painted sign that hung from his front door accused the NSA of kidnapping and killing residents to get at hidden oil reserves underneath their property.

The relative obtained the protective custody order after hearing from concerned neighbors, who watched Christy's mental condition deteriorate for two months. That's when neighbors said he stopped cutting the grass on his usually neatly trimmed front yard. He had been living in the house without electricity and utilities since Hurricane Katrina. Christy had been living alone in the house since his mother died in 2004. Neighbors said the hand-lettered sign and others like it went up about three weeks before the standoff.

Although they had no way to confirm it, authorities said they think Christy, who served in the Navy, more than likely acquired the weapons over time. Christy had no criminal record and no documented history of mental illness.

"With his history, he could have gone into any gun shop and bought a gun," Lee said.

. . . . . . .

Michelle Hunter can be reached at [email protected] or (504) 883-7054.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-15/1150870175292620.xml

Cliffs: We thought he might be crazy, so we went to his house and killed him.

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

haha i'm from metairie.

that house is like 2 miles from where i went to HS.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Wow talk about sensationalism.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd:

an AK-47 assault rifle - so he had a class3 ak? doubt it
    Uzi submachine gun - C3 also? doubt it
    black tactical vest that investigators said Christy was wearing when they found his body in a second-floor room. In one pocket was a .45-caliber pistol and in other, 12 magazines loaded with ammunition, about 120 rounds total, Lee said. - :noes: we should ban vests for the children
    Mac-10 submachine gun - C3 again? doubt it
    fa silencer made out of a soda bottle. - ok so this is probably the only illegal thing he did.
    a Smith and Wesson .45-caliber Colt - :eek3:
    Neighbors said he stopped cutting the grass on his usually neatly trimmed front yard. - So if I dont mow my lawn the SWAT teams going to come? :hsugh:

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Guy next to me at work, told me about the 31 he owns off the top of his head :noes:

6. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

"Christy was "extremely paranoid about the NSA," believing members of the agency had lined his fence posts with dynamite and had snipers positioned in neighboring houses waiting to take a shot"

I guess he was right

7. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

What a fucking crazy old man :rofl:. This is how I imagine half of the WMD crew. HAHAHA I joke, I joke.

8. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

What a bunch of bullshit. At least we know that not everyone is full of crap when they say "from my cold dead hands".

9. woopty doo. I know plenty of people that could put that "arsenal" to shame..

and whats with the media always making "thousands of rounds of ammunition" seem like a lot

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Irony much?

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

So they came to take the guy in for a mental health evaluation. WHY? and what gives them the right to even do this? :ugh:

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cause he hadn't mowed his lawn apparently.

13. JordanClarkson

i better mow my lawn :hs:

14. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I don't even have a lawn :run:

15. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

"Before sheriff's deputies tried to take William Christy into custody last week for a mental health evaluation"

Is it even legal to be taken in for a mental health evaluation against your will?

16. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

M-1 carbine -- fitted with a silencer made out of a soda bottle.

HAHA I'm sure the soda bottle really did alot to quite down a M-1

17. JordanClarkson

snipers are already in place :noes:

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:ugh: I hope somebody gets sued for a lot of money.

19. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

That's just bullshit.

20. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

HELLO PEOPLE, LEARN HOW TO READ!

He was going to be taken in for an evaluation because his neighbors thought he was crazy, and so did a relative. It says so in the article:

Also note the following items:

Now, I'm all for gun ownership, but that guy was fucking crazy, and I hate to say it, but everyone is better off now that he's dead.

21. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

Yeah you guys this guy was a fucking nut. I too am for gun ownership, but come on this guy was crazy :ugh2: .

22. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Probably right.

But on the other hand, I cant wait till they try and bust an actual enthusiast, and they find 10k+ rounds of ammo. I mean, cmon, when you can buy 8mm Mauser for 60bucks for 900 rounds, why not get 1800? or 3600?

23. JordanClarkson

i didn't know it was illegal to be crazy :ugh:

the guy may have needed help but what's wrong with BACKING OFF if he didn't want it? instead look what happened. you have a guy dead and some cops wounded. they could've avoided the whole thing by leaving him the fuck alone

24. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Lets say that they did leave him the fuck alone, and two days later he goes to his neighbors house and accuses them of working for the NSA and he skins them alive? What then?

25. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Where is your solid evidence that this guy was a nut in the first place? He built "shooting platforms" underneath windows to steady his weapons? You mean like window seats? I have those in my house. Am I a crazy gun nut that's ready to take on the NSA now? What else do we have to base this on? His hick neighbor that told the news that he was afraid of dynamite in his fence and that he didn't mow his fucking lawn? When you let something like this go without getting any real facts and just write it off as "some nutjob with a bunch of guns got whacked" then it just sets a precedence and in the future it'll be even easier for LE to do the same thing to the next guy and get away with it without a hitch.