mandrew's log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by mandrew, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandrew

mandrew New Member

update: 6/8/09

Been doing 3-4 days a week of upper/lower split with a ME/Repitition templates for the last year. WS4SB worked well and 5/3/1 boosted all my lifts for a couple months. My lifts have been about the same for the last 3-4 months and I'm kind of beat on trying to go heavy and not seeing any improvement in my lifts. As a result I'm going back to Pur's routine and this time I'm going to do it the way Pur outlined with very little variation. Also I'm checking my ego at the door and focusing on the quality of each rep rather than just moving weight. Until this point I've just tried to move more weight than i probably should have, and obviously my lifts all suck so this fundamental change in my training ideology is probably going to reap some serious benefits.

My goal in the gym is to get a good pump and really feel like I'm really working the muscles I intend to for each day-- specific numbers are irrelevant for the most part, I'll do what I can handle for clean solid reps. It's only been a week on this training but I'm really enjoying it and am looking forward to watching my body grow.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

3. mandrew

mandrew New Member

4. mandrew

mandrew New Member

So far today:

4 fish oil caps
    12oz orange juice
    16oz milk
    2 scoops Mass Meal

One can of tuna
    couple handfuls of almonds
    banana

Two tablespoons of organic PB
    4 eggs with ground turkey tomato sauce (sounds gross but it was pretty good)
    one slice of whole grain bread

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  5. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

awesome to see some new people in F&N.

If you have any questions, read the fucking stickies :mamoru:

nice to see you back andrew :wavey:

i need to man up like you and learn how to eat. 210lbs is big weight, and your numbers show it. You have a whole 100 pounds on my deadlift.

6. mandrew

mandrew New Member

Thanks Mitch. I'm pretty happy about my progress. Drinking definitely held me back but also having cleaned up my diet a bit and taking some useful advice has helped me in the last few months to get a little stronger and most importantly avoid the joint aches and injuries I got all the time.

Eating all the time is pretty easy as long as you find ways. Some days I will be at school for like 9 hours straight with a couple breaks. I'll have to eat crappy college food those days. Force it the first couple days and after that you'll be hungry enough to put down 3500 calories without much effort every day.

7. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

:werd:

to recover the weight i lost when sick i'm doing the old buy two whoppers for lunch trick :p

8. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

oh and get facebook, i have no way of communicating with you when you decide to just leave ot

9. mandrew

mandrew New Member

did upper today... only thing that's improved since last week is cable rows. 160 x 8 x 3 for the first time. I switched to Incline bench over flat... I can finally put up 135 for multiple sets of 8 on incline, as sad as that is, I'm pretty happy about it. I barely worked on bench at all in the last year much less incline.

my dad had a small heart surgery yesterday so I was at the hospital for a while.. .diet fell off thanks to the donuts a friend brought :o but my dad is okay so they were celebratory donuts. :)

10. mandrew

mandrew New Member

deadlifted tonight. Usually I do one heavy set and that's it, with maybe 2-3 sets over 300lbs and the rest as warmup sets. Instead tonight I did a lot more heavy work cause I was working in with a dude at the same level as me so I was more motivated.

Deadlifts:

225 x 8
    315 x 5, 5 both double overhand
    375 x 3
    365 x 4

wanted to hit 375 for 5 but I didn't have it in me. after that I just did some reverse BB lunges and called it a day, my knee was messed up at work yesterday... felt fine today but I didn't want to aggravate it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  11. mandrew

mandrew New Member

also, since i've just been fucking aroudn and doing whatever I felt like on a upper/lower 4-day split, I keep going heavy every single session, and it's taking a toll and not producing results. I'm gonna do WS4SB routine ( http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf ) and get my shit together. More variety and higher reps will have my joints feeling better and I'm sure will produce much better results in strength and size.

12. mandrew

mandrew New Member

current schedule with WS4SB:

Friday: ME Upper
    Sunday: ME Lower
    Tuesday: Repetition Upper
    Thursday: Repetition Lower

So far I've done the two ME days and I like it.... Just got done with lower and the hardest part wasn't heavy squatting or doing RDL's, it was the goddamn ab circuit :rofl: i have zero strength with ab contraction, so this is going to be a real bitch. No new PRs, I just matched what I did last time since I've been sick for a week and a half.

13. mandrew

mandrew New Member

Lifting:

-did Repitition Upper today. DB Flat bench, Pullups w/ rear delt fly superset, BB military, DB Shrug w/ hammer curl superset.

-for exercises that reccomended 8-12 reps i was doing 8, and exercises that reccomended 12-15 I was doing 12. I'm gonna try doing the higher rep range with less weight for a few weeks and see what happens, i want to break the habit of going as heavy as possible every time.

Diet:

-My carb intake is definitely lower, somewhere in the 200-300g/day range, but I'd like it to be at 200g or less so i gotta work on that. I really don't want to cut out milk from my diet but it adds at least 65g of carbs daily so I'm gonna assess my options there. More whey and daily calcium pills seems like a reasonable alternative.

-I'm going to also try and eat more in the mornings and afternoons and less at night. I'm definitely gonna stop eating a huge bowl of cottage cheese and salsa minutes before bed every night, and move it down at least 2-3 hours before I sleep.

-I made a fitday account. I'll be using it come tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  14. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

fitday's the shit

15. mandrew

mandrew New Member

it's a lot of extra work but once I get all my usual food's logged in, it should be a lot easier. :bigthumb:

I did dynamic lower body today for the first time. I've never done plyometrics so i decided to start out with regular vertical jumps. I have NO hops :o pretty sad, but hopefully with practice I'll get a better vert just for the sake of athleticism. I had fun anyway.

16. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Post pics you silly bitch.

17. mandrew

mandrew New Member

if my abs ever become visible, pics will be posted.

18. mandrew

mandrew New Member

carbs have been consistently below 200g/day except saturday when I had a piece of cake and today, when I saw a "juice sqeeze" drink in my fridge and chugged the shit out of it. That pushed me a little over 200g. I am a loser :rofl:

I now realize how much 300g of carbs really is, and I'm amazed that I used to take that much in every single day.

19. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I'll post a workout here and there just to show what I'm doing, but I log most of them in my notebook.

Floor Press (first time trying this):

95 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x5
    185 x 4
    195 x 2 (my friend couldn't come today so i had no spotter and consequently pussied out.. could have done more I'm positive)

Barbell Pushups:

20, 18

DB Row/ DB Rear Delt Fly superset:

60 x 15 / 25's x 10
    75 x 10 / 25's x 10
    75 x 12 / 25's x 8
    60 x 12 / 20's x 10

DB Shrugs:

60's x 20, 20, 20

Preacher curls, 3 sets

my upper body is so damn weak.

20. mandrew

mandrew New Member

ME Lower:

Box Squats (an inch below parallel, high bar):

95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 5
    225 x 4
    245 x 3 PR on squats. I don't think I ever put that much weight on my back before.

Bulgarian Split Squats:

equal reps per leg
    bw x 12
    +50 x 10, 12
    bw x 10

Hyperextensions:

bw x 12
    +25 x 8
    +35 x 10, 10

Ab Circuit:

v-up's, toe touches, hip thrusts x 10 reps each x 2

My squat 3RM is 130lbs less than my deadlift 3RM... is something wrong? haha. I guess I just gotta work more on my core strength. This was my first time ever doing box squats and first time squatting higher than full squat in a year, so I could do more with practice.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  21. mandrew

mandrew New Member

worked out at home today.. should have done DB bench instead of dips, other than that everything is true to the routine.

Repitition Upper:

Dips (max reps):

22, 16, 14

Pullups (neutral grip) w/ rear DB fly superset:

bw x 8 / 20's x 14
    bw x 8 / 20's x 14
    bw x 9 / 25's x 15 balls to the wall
    bw x 8 / 25's x 12

Standing DB Press:

25's x 16
    40's x 12, 12, 10

DB Shrugs:

60's x 20+ x 3

Alternating curls (pause at top instead of bottom):

30's x didn't count x 3

Definitely gonna make an effort to spend this day at the gym most weeks... adjusting those dumbbells all the time is weak.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  22. mandrew

mandrew New Member

Starting a cut. Had 2,656 cals today, 269g protein (40%), 134.5g carbs (20%), and 119g fat (40%).

27g dietary fiber... would like to boost this but as it is I'm getting 12 of that from metamucil alone.. I don't want to be shitting bowling balls so I think I'll try to eat more beans or something. This is the macro I will follow every day... I'm expecting to drop a few pounds in the next week alone from staying consistent with lower carbs than normal. Hopefully I'll end up lean at 190 but we'll see when I get there.

23. mandrew

mandrew New Member

My projected macro for today:

Total: 2,445
    Fat 99.5g (37%)
    Carbs 149.5g (24%)
    Protein 233g (39%)

That doesn't account for the few servings of broccoli I'll have with dinner, but I'm guessing it's gonna add a little bit of carbs but that's it. Cals are a little lower than i want but oh well... Protein should be higher too.

Gonna train in a few minutes. Plyo jumping, split squats (front foot elevated), hanging leg raises, and riding the stationary bike (my right hamstring is super sore right now, no posterior chain training)

24. mandrew

mandrew New Member

wanted to do floor press, but the squat racks were all taken.

CG Bench (pinkies just inside of the rings):

95 x 8
    135 x 5
    145 x 5
    155 x 5
    165 x 5
    175 x 3

Incline DB:

50's x 12, 8

Cable Row ss with Face Pulls:

120 x 10 + 40 x 10
    140 x 10 + 50 x 10
    150 x 10 + 50 x 12
    160 x 8 + 50 x 12
    160 x 8 + 40 x 15

BB shrugs:

135 x 15
    185 x 15, 15
    225 x 15 wanted to do more but my elbow kinda hurt so I stopped

DB Iso-Hold Curls:

25's x 12, 10, 8

Any time i do some pressing movement I remember how goddamn weak I am :o Sucks.

25. mandrew

mandrew New Member

ate out for lunch today so I just guestimated the macro on the food (grilled chicken caesar salad... with like half a chicken breast at the most :mad: $14 )

~2,600 cals today if i guessed the salad right. Fat 94.5g, Carbs 157g, Protein 248g.

I had an extra glass of orange juice today and that put my carbs kinda higher than I wanted... would rather be getting my carbs from fiber sources but juice is the bomb. I'll stay on top of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.