GUN Man Who Shot Burglar Not Guilty Of Murder

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 27, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man Who Shot Burglar Not Guilty Of Murder
    Thief's Family Outraged By Verdict

POSTED: 12:05 pm EDT March 27, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:12 pm EDT March 27, 2007
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    TAUNTON, Mass. -- A New Bedford homeowner who fatally shot a man he thought had broken into his house has been acquitted by a Bristol Superior Court jury of second-degree murder.

Jurors took just 3½ hours on Monday to decide that Charles Chieppa, 60, was justified in killing Frank Pereira Jr. in June 2004.

Chieppa's voice cracked with emotion after the verdict was read as he thanked his family and friends.

Chieppa's lawyer, Kevin Reddington, told the jury during closing statements that his client, a Vietnam War veteran, acted in self defense.

"When you consider his state of mind, when you consider the circumstances, this was a justifiable homicide by a citizen protecting himself," Reddington said during closing arguments on Monday.

The prosecution, while acknowledging that Pereira was a "thief," noted that Chieppa kept a loaded gun in his bedroom and that he shot Pereira in the back.

"He reacted that night in anger, it wasn't fearful," Assistant District Attorney William McCauley said during closings. "What does that say about his intent? He decided if there was going to be a problem in his property, he would take care of it."

Pereira's family was outraged at the verdict.

"No matter the circumstances, nobody deserves to die over property," said Marcey Lugo, Pereira's girlfriend and mother of his 6-year-old son.

Chieppa awoke at about 4 a.m. on June 17, 2004, to the sounds of an intruder in his basement, according to trial testimony. He went to his backyard with a semiautomatic handgun where he shot Pereira, who had broken into the basement.

2. t1h

t1h Guest

sounds like the criminal got what he deserved, maybe other criminals can learn from it

3. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

id have a long night of drinking, capped off by a drunken piss on that piece of shits gravestone.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'm curious when it says

Chieppa awoke at about 4 a.m. on June 17, 2004, to the sounds of an intruder in his basement, according to trial testimony. He went to his backyard with a semiautomatic handgun where he shot Pereira, who had broken into the basement.

It seems like the basement was not accessable from inside the house, in which case I can see how the line for legal use of force gets a little blurry even if there is a castle doctrine.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

"No matter the circumstances, nobody deserves to die over property," said Marcey Lugo

yeah, ok. wait until someone breaks into your house, rapes you, then makes off with all your shit

6. el capitan

el capitan New Member

:werd:

if someone breaks into your home and steals something of value personal/monetary you should be able to shoot them. fuckin crackhead motherfuckers. then the family will say "he had a problem with drugs, he shouldn't have been killed for stealing something". if you put those same people in the same situation they would do the same thing. honestly if my kid breaks into someones house and steals someones stuff, shoot them. that means either i didn't do my job as a parent, or they just have no repect for other peoples things.

it fucking kills me when a homeowner protects his/her home and they did it the "right" way, then they get sued in civil court over wrongful death.