GUN Man sues police in dog's death

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 17, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man sues police in dog's death
    February 16, 2008

SEMINOLE COUNTY - A man has filed suit against the city of Winter Springs, accusing two of its police officers of mistaking his home for someone else's, hauling him outdoors without clothes and shooting dead his Rottweiler.

The suit, filed Thursday, seeks unspecified damages.

William A. Riggin alleges he was in the shower when officers "stormed" into his home May 14, 2006. Police said they thought they were three houses down, responding to a house alarm.

Police said the officers walked in through an unlocked sliding glass door, and when the 130-pound dog, a 3-year-old named Dirk, lunged at one of the officers, he shot it.

The dog died about a half-hour later. Police did not allow Riggin to tend to him until it was too late, according to the suit.

It alleges the Police Department was negligent and that Riggin has suffered humiliation, emotional pain and the loss of his pet.

At the time, police said part of the problem was that Riggin lived in a neighborhood with some unmarked or poorly marked addresses.

Capt. Kevin Brunelle a police spokesman, said Friday, "It was an incident we wish didn't happen."

2. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Good for him. I hope he wins.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:werd:

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

WOW. :ugh:

5. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

Me too.

6. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

fucking good. I hope that cop dies in a fight with a pack of wolves

and generally, i align myself with cops since MOST are good. not all, but the overwhelming majority.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats a bit much, I wouldnt hold that actual cop too responsible. If you're in a house you're told to be in and a Rotty comes lunging at you, you'd probably shoot the thing too, I know I would.

The blame lays on the incompetent asshole that couldnt find the right address.

I hope he does win, these accidental and mistaken raids are getting waaaaaay too out of hand. We're reading about these things weekly now it seem like. How fucking hard is it to make sure you're at the right address?

8. Yuppy

yea it may be too much, but why detain the guy for an hour and not let him tend to his family member.

they are cops; it is their job to understand how the address systems work in their city. its really unacceptable.

If I did that to someone who I thought was holding my gf or kid captive,but was a few houses off, i would goto prison. They should be sent to prison too

9. Yuppy

not to mention the unnecessary POLICE deaths!

10. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Drive around a shitty neighborhood sometime. Poor folks don't tend to mark their houses well. Signs and letters cost money, and people who don't know where you live may be cops, repo men, or debt collectors.
    Sucks that the dog got shot, but there may be some comparative negligence on the part of the homeowner.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

*knock knock* Hello? Burglar? This is the police. Please come to the door. We have a surprise for you. We can't come in. Please come to the door.

Guys the burglar isn't coming to the door....I guess we just have to leave. Anyone else hungry?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Given the circumstances, with the police believing they were at the right address, and the dog lunging at them, then I think the shooting was excusable in a criminal court. However, that does not negate the fact the man lost his pet. I think the officer should be let of without issue but the police department is financially liable.

13. Yuppy

still say he goes to jail. if they let the k9 unit loose into the wrong house first, someone shot that, they would be sent to prison

you cant be negligent and get away with it. this is criminal negligence, and someone did get hurt.

14. Yuppy

could be some negligence. but police are supposed to understand how to use public records.... like checking lot lines to figure out an address

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I can assure you this doesn't happen anywhere.
    No room for an astrolabe and sextant on our belts.
    Right or wrong, an ounce of prevention would involve clearly marking your property. (probably also help pizza and hookers get there quicker)

16. Yuppy

yea; true.... my city or neighborhood association(not sure which one, its been awhile) actually requires that pay them a few bucks to get our address painted on our curb....

but if you work in the public sector you should know how to find the information; not just guess and hope you get it right.

17. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I dont really buy that. The police are supposed to be better at this than the regular public. I can easily go into a neighborhood and if you can find even ONE number on a street you can easily find the correct house. Counting up or down numbers is not a hard thing to do. If nothing on the block has a number, the cops especially should be able to know what block their on and what the numbers on that block are. You simply count up to the right house. Not rocket science.

I generally defend cops as they have a horribly hard job to do, but these kinds of things are just not supposed to happen and they are happening far too often. I dont disagree that mistakes can and will happen on occasion, but when they are happening with the frequency they are, its getting out of hand.

Again, I dont think the cop himself is at fault, I'd have shot the dog too if it was coming after me, but someone should be held accountable for this.

18. Yuppy

i guess my main question is what evidence did they have to tell them they they were 3 houses down? ? ? (they just point and guess or what?)

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

That is definitely too much. That cop is supposed to let the dog attach him just in case someone screwed up and gave him the wrong address? That is not even the least bit reasonable.

If they let a K9 into the wrong house and you shot the dog, you would not be going to jail if you were legally protecting yourself. Not everyone is after you. LOL

What happened is not a criminal act. But the department should definitely be held accountable for it and in a VERY big way to make sure they check twice the next time.

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

These things don't happen that often. Are there maybe 5 or 6 a year?
    How many calls nationwide do the police respond to? I don't think the aggregate error rate is that high.
    Probably lower than equivalent error rates in other professions.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that is true.

I think that self-defense against a police officer when the officer is clearly in the wrong should be legal. Police are given immunity, and intent or otherwise, they abuse it.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bullshit. You would get your ass taken to jail, beaten, you'd be humiliated and called a cop-killer in the news. You'd be prosecuted by the D.A. etc, etc, etc.

There have been several instances of criminals yelling "police" and there was at least one incident posted here where an innocent man (after having his home broken into by real police, who had the wrong address) defended himself and he was arrested and is pending trial.

:greddy:

23. Yuppy

you would DEFINATELY get beaten..... maybe you might get off if they found out they were at the wrong house and they violated protocol... but thats unlikely

24. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I second this motion

25. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If he thought he was at the right house I can kinda understand shooting the dog(although if it was my house I'd be more pissed about that then the actual burglary) From the sounds of the article though afterwards it sounds like the PD made not attempt to rectify the situation. Did they just wash their hands of the whole situation saying should of had your address marked better or did they make some sort attempt at compensating the guy.