WEB man, so disappointed...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Oct 2, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

this has nothing to do with web development, just a lil tiny bit and i wanted to rant a bit.

got rejected by google and yahoo. im especially disappointed in yahoo, i thought the interviews went really well. i answered all the questions pretty well if i might say so, and i had a good java discussion with one of the interviewers. most of them didnt even ask me technical questions, so i dont really see how they find fault in me. is it cause i was an Electrical Eng. and didnt study Comp Sci? regardless, i think thru my experience i can code as well as anyone can, and i can definitely do whats required for the positions. they werent very high level positions.

:sad2: real disappointed. i wished i knew what was wrong. really hate getting that "we've decided to not move on with the candidacy" call/email. if i fail on Facebook as well, im gonna take a break from job searching for a month. so tired of sending out 5-10 resumes a day...

ok not that anyone cares...
    /rant

2. BlaZeR

BlaZeR New Member

3. autox

autox OT Supporter

I think you basically have to know someone to get in there now. Although Ive heard a lot of people are getting ready to leave google for the "next big thing" like facebook and other companies that havent gone public yet.

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

but i DO know someone there. in fact he's the reason i got the interview. i came highly recommended, which is why the rejection is even more puzzling to me.. man i feel like even more of a loser now. i know someone and i still didnt get it :( was so fuckin excited too. i thought if i stay at yahoo for a couple of years, i could ask to move to another country thats closer to my home country.

i hope my facebook interview goes well. the first one went quite well, now im fuckin nervous for the second one.

anyone got any tips. i think the guy's gonna ask a lot of PHP questions. can you guys name 5 PHP interview questions that you hear the most?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Don't give up. :wavey:

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yeah... thanks :sadwavey:

i actually already got an offer from a couple small companies last month. but they were in a real hurry and i didnt want to hold them up while i was havin interview with The Big 3. so i kinda let that one go and gambled... looks like my gamble isnt payin off...

7. autox

autox OT Supporter

right now you probably have more opportunity with facebook than you do with google. If FB ever goes public you'll be in early and make way more money than you would have been able to with google.

8. ge0

ge0 New Member

Facebook isn't going to go anywhere. What can they do more? The idea of profile system is exhausted.

Unless they somehow can intergrate your profile into everyday life some how... then the applications and shit is just useless.

9. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

well i dunno about the future of facebook, but in the near future an IPO is inevitable. i think at least that much is guaranteed.

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i dont think its an "if" but a "when" in the case of an FB IPO.

well, i used to think that i have a good chance with FB, but now my confidence is just way way down, shattered, and im real nervous left and right... :run:

11. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

No need to be down.. It's probably a good thing that you didn't get either of the jobs. Look at it that way. Everything happens for a reason.

12. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yes sir, zen master. :mamoru: just playin. thanks for the encouragement. im real frickin nervous for the FB interview though, and its only a second phone interview. any wise words for that? any PHP questions you wanna quiz me on?

13. ge0

ge0 New Member

ipo?

14. autox

autox OT Supporter

:hsugh:

15. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

you sir, know nothing.

16. ge0

ge0 New Member

sikeee

17. ge0

ge0 New Member

unless they can intergrate it into something we use everyday.. profiling is dead.

18. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i think Microsoft might disagree with you 500 million times.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/09/24/microsoft-may-invest-in-facebook-at-10-billion-valuation/

you might think the app itself is useless. but the user base, the adoption rate, etc, more than makes up for it. and the fact that FB has a huge user base that's growing rapidly proves that the app has SOME uses at least. it may be useless to you, but not to 34 million people, and that number is what counts.

source: wikipedia

edit: let's shift our focus for a moment to PHP questions shall we? :)

19. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

It sure is dead with the $10-15 billion microsoft might put into it. :hsugh:

20. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

actually theyre only gonna buy 5% of it, which is already a significant chunk

21. ge0

ge0 New Member

Liek I siad dumbass, the only way for it to survive is if they intergrate it into everday life.. Maybe communication ebtween window users and such.. I dunno

22. airbball23

airbball23 Rent this Space only $5/mnth

dont worry man. you can always try again next time. :)

23. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

thanks a lot man. had the call from FB. im not sure what to say about it. the guy was real nice, very nice interviewer, we had a lot of laughs about nothing. but some of his questions were kinda obscure. for example, how would i get a command line input in PHP? i was like :ugh: i have never ever in my entire life used the PHP command line. in fact, i dont think i've ever READ about it, and ive read a good several books about PHP, and none of em mention the command line.
    another one was what is HTTP status code 301? i guess this one isn't that obscure, i just dont encounter 301s very much. i told him what i do know tho, which are 200, 401, 403, 404, 500.
    yet another one was how do u load and make extension in PHP? yet another :ugh:

he threw in some unix questions tho and i think i did OK on that. he asked how to get CPU usage in unix, and the only command I know is "ps" :dunno: i guess "top" is another one. never used it. im just so used to typing "ps aux | grep 'ava'" when doing some Java.

funny thing is this was supposed to be a PHP interview and he didnt ask one PHP syntax question, which was what i prepared for during the day. unless you count the obscure ones i mentioned above.

all in all, i have a mixed feeling about it. not very confident, especially because of the yahoo rejection. i mean i thought i did well @ yahoo and i got rejected. now im having mixed feelings about this one? yeah... not a good sign... :sadwavey:

what do you guys think? would you guys know the answers to those questions on top of your head? are they obscure or am i just stupid?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  24. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Everybody bummed interviews, man. I had this one interview a few years ago and I was so fucking pissed off after the interview because I knew I blew it. I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to web development and have done my time with it as well, which is why I think I was pissed off. The questions he asked me were extremely obscure, like yours.

I believe he was asking you those questions because they're looking for some hardcore programmers. Not programmers that have fiddled with scripts and made a few websites here and there. People who take the extra step to delve more into language to figure out how it works and how to extend onto it. They figure if you know these things then you've been around long enough to experience them... thus, know your shit. I have a book regarding PHP extensions.... I've never read it. :mamoru2:

Just keep looking. You'll find your spot.

25. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

I guess. but the first interviewer was real cool and made it sound easier to get into FB. he said everyone basically starts out in this big team fixing bugs to get a hang of the app, and then move to a more specific team. i thought "fudge i can fix bugs, ive been doin that all my life." :hsd: