GUN Man Shot After Crashing Car, Wandering Into Nearby Home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MTech, Nov 5, 2007.

1. MTech

MTech New Member

Police said a man crashed his car near 44 Berkshire Road, and in a disoriented state, went inside a nearby house.John Nagy, the homeowner, told police he heard the intruder in the basement, where he shot him once, thinking he was burglar.

The victim has not yet been identified, but police said he is recovering after surgery.
    http://www.nbc30.com/news/14506818/detail.html?dl=mainclick

2. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

How do you "wander" into a locked house?

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:dunno: But he could have been in a serious daze if the wreck was bad and maybe thought it was his house?

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Bad situation all around. The owner could have thought he was some cracked out druggie, ect.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Story with a little more detail

Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury
    Intruder Involved In Car Crash, Police Say

POSTED: 2:55 pm EST November 4, 2007
    UPDATED: 2:59 pm EST November 4, 2007
    [NEWSVINE: Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury] [DELICIOUS: Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury] [DIGG: Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury] [FACEBOOK: Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury] [REDDIT: Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury] [RSS] [PRINT: Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury] [EMAIL: Man Shoots Home Intruder In Southbury]
    SOUTHBURY, Conn. -- State police said they received a call Sunday from a man who said he had encountered an intruder at his house.

John Nagy told police that he may have shot the intruder at his home, located at 44 Berkshire Road in Southbury.

Nagy told police that he was awakened at about 2 a.m. by a noise in the basement area of the house. Nagy said he went to investigate the basement area armed with a weapon.

He stated that he encountered a man who had entered the basement. The man advanced in the direction of the Nagy, and Nagy said he shot his gun in the direction of the intruder and left his home to wait for police.

Nagy told state police that he believed that the intruder was still in the basement.

State troopers entered the home with a state police K-9 to search for the intruder, police said.

The intruder was located by troopers in the basement of the home suffering from an apparent single gunshot wound.

EMS responded, provided emergency care at the scene and transported the wounded suspect to Waterbury Hospital, where he underwent surgery for his injuries.

The identification of the suspect is being withheld pending notification of family, police said.

Initial investigation by state police determined that the man was in fact the operator of a vehicle that had been involved in a one-car crash on River Road in Southbury.

The man fled the crash scene on foot and walked for about a half a mile and then entered the Nagy's house, where he encountered the homeowner.

State Police Western District Major Crime Squad will handle the investigation at the crime scene by collecting physical and forensic evidence and conduct follow-up investigation, police said.

Nagy was not injured in this incident, police said.

At the conclusion of the investigation, all facts and circumstances of this incident will be reviewed with the state's attorney, officials said.

6. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

He wanders a half fucking mile in a 'daze', enters a guy's house...and goes to the basement? The fuck?

That's a lot of circumstances coming together for some guy to accidentally enter the wrong fucking house. Hell, even if he did, you'd have think he'd turn a light on or something.

Based purely on what I can infer from the news story, that homeowner had every right to shoot.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm thinking maybe he was DWI and trying to get away before the cops showed up :dunno:

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

From the story the homeowner had every right to shoot and 99 time out of 100 if you come across someone inside your house at 2 a.m. hiding in the basement and when they see you the head towards you, its big trouble. This guy just happened to be that one weird set of circumstances.

Half a mile down the road from a wreck, hiding in the basement of a stranger's house and the fact that they use the words "fled the crash scene" seem to jive with that rather than disorientedly stumbled away for help.

I do wonder how the guy got into the house, there is o mention of a forced door or a broken window. It seems strange that the type of man that would investigate a strange noise in his house at 2 a.m. with a gun would have unlocked doors and windows.

The homeowner made the right call (based on that article) and if in that situation again he should have the same decision, heck after the initial encounter he retreated outside and waited for the police instead of playing rambo.

9. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

If I went into the basement of my house (hypothetical basement) only to find a bloodied dude stumbling at me and moaning, I would think only one thing:

ZOMBIE! :noes:

(followed by a round of 5.45 in their head)

10. MTech

MTech New Member

Maybe he needed to borrow a cup of sugar?? Or he was just doing his laundry...

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Perhaps the combination of drunkenness and a hit on the head in the car wreck made him goofy...but I've been so drunk I was seeing triple images and was still able to know when I got home.....yes I drove and thank God I didn't hit anyone or get a DUI.

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

He was drunk, driving a car that was stolen about a year ago with stolen plates from another car.

Homeowner heard him, investigated and told him to sit tight while he called the cops. Guy charged at him, got shot once in the gut with a .357 Mag. Hid in the basement until the K9 got there and apparently thought he could hide from the dog too. Got his legs and nuts pretty well chewed up. Last I heard, he's not doing so well.

What the state says, who knows, but the police have determined it was a good shoot. The fact that the BG outweighed the homeowner by a good 200lbs and had about a foot on him didn't hurt either.

Southbury is a smallish town, and the sort of guy who got shot really doesn't turn up that often there. I can't say leaving access to your home unlocked is wise, but I could sort of understand how a false sense of security could set in someplace like that.