SRS Man I just have no motivation these days...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CT Cubs Fan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. CT Cubs Fan

CT Cubs Fan New Member

I'm going to be a senior in college with decent grades and I have no idea what to do. I could go to any grad school I manage to get accepted to (money is covered for me) and I just don't know what I want to do. Its been really getting to me and I can't seem to get myself to do anything much as of late.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Setting a goal for yourself not knowing what you want can be hard. My father said: in life it all comes down to money. If you have the money you can do the things you really want to do in life. Then there's the joy of the daily activity's. Ideally you combine what you enjoy with that what you earn the most possible amount of money with.

I see it like this, if you look at the global markets, the whole world is just begging for ground compounds like ,steel, oil, copper. So if i where you id get a good paying job as a ground product supplier. Look at what the market needs and play in on that demand.

3. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

So basically, screw the world, I'm making money so therefore I am happy?

I look at it differently. My sister has followed her passion and is doing a job she loves as an art consultant. The money is not great by any stretch but she loves what she is doing.

My cousin became an engineer for a mining company. Makes a shitload of cash but can't stand what he does. Gets absolutely no job satisfaction, but turns up because the money is good and he needs to make the repayments on all the needless crap he has.

Which one of these do you more want to be?

And, for the record, I'm in the middle. Love my job and make good money doing it, but that destroys my point.

4. arsbu

arsbu New Member

I think what Darketernal is saying is that if you don't know what you want to do in your life, just go for the money, even if you'll hate the job, at least you have money for your hobbies on the weekend.

My mom tells me the same thing (sorta) and tells me to save up and then enjoy it when you do figure it out.

Sometimes it's just not possible to find a job you like that you can actually support yourself on. If that was possible, everybody would be a rockstar or a professional surfer.

5. Acoustyk

Acoustyk Jesus didn't save the dinosaurs lol

I'm in the same boat. I have two more years left and have no clue what to do and I've been stagnating. I'm so apathetic it's disgusting. What to do about it? I don't know man I haven't figured that out yet. I guess keep your head up and eyes peeled for something that interests you. Definitely don't stay in one place. Move around and do stuff even if you don't like it. That is the only way you're going to discover something new that you might want to pursue. i.e. Study abroad, internship, weird ass job, travel

I'm not a christian but I might go with my Uncle to Africa for missionary work because you never know.

6. Musouka

Musouka New Member

Yea, you just gotta keep trying things out. What major were you in college?

Hell, I'll use my dad as an example. He did Biochem at UPenn then did Vet School there. Figured out he didn't really want to go into practice, but he found his toxicology classes interesting so he talked to his toxicology professors. The one thing that definately made him get a PhD in toxicology is when he was just in the library studying with some friends and saw a toxicology journal out of the corner of his eye. He picked it up and found a guy working at Texas A&M that could use some help. Got in contact with the guy, moved out to Texas for a few years, got his PhD, moved back to PA and then found a job. It was all pretty random, but the thing is he pursued things. He was so set on being a vet, but he ended up working in the pharmacuetical industry.

Maybe try your college's career center? They might have some tests or something to help you out? Although I don't personally think those tests help that much since they're so limited, but it's worth a shot.

7. CT Cubs Fan

CT Cubs Fan New Member

I'm an English/Theology double major. I'd love to get into some type of charity/non-profit work but I'm just terrified of not having enough money as traveling is something I want to do a lot of in my life.

8. SuperoDeus

SuperoDeus OT Supporter

I think you need a reality check. If having money to travel and live the life you want to live is so important than go for that. Find the job that will pay the most money and if you like it, great, if not, thats just the way life is. Anybody can do what they love to do, but what matters is at the end of they day, and you go home, how are you going to pay your bills, and everything else you want/need. If your getting money from some relatives, and dont have to worry about it as much as other people, then just do what you want, and if you dont have an exact idea of what you want to do, then start doing things that interest you and eventualy you'll find something that works. Your too young to know what you want to do in life.

9. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

plastics.