GUN man comes out swinging in bear attack

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 9, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

man comes out swinging in bear attack
    Last Updated: Wednesday, October 8, 2008 | 9:43 PM ET
    [​IMG]
    A Cariboo, B.C., man who was attacked by a bear says he used a stick to put up the fight of his life after he realized he was likely in a fight to the death.

Jim West, 45, was out walking last Saturday morning with his two dogs near 70 Mile House, about halfway between Kamloops and Williams Lake, when he came face to face with an angry mother bear.

"I turned [when] I heard a grunt. All I saw was eyes full of hatred … I had no option … So I stuck my foot up and tried to kick her in the face," he said.

The bear then attacked him, knocking him to the ground, and West soon found himself on the losing side of an ill-matched fight.

"I rolled onto my stomach and clasped my hands at the back of my neck. She tore into my skull at the back of my head, moved over and bit me on the left side of my body, on my ribs and left arm," said West.

Knowing he would likely soon be dead unless he fought back, the injured West managed to get to his feet and picked up a stick about as thick as his arm.
    Bear's skull crushed
    [​IMG]
    "I said, in effect, bring it on sweetie. I took one step forward — smash!" said West.

"I swung the stick and broke it over her head. She kind of stood there and shook it off, like she was stunned," he said.

"I realized if I didn't continue the attack she would knock me to the ground again and I would not get up.

"I swung my piece of wood like a sledgehammer driving spikes and I kept swinging till she was lying flat on the ground and there was blood coming out of her nose," said West.

The five-foot-nine man eventually crushed the bear's skull with the stick, killing it.

West then walked a kilometre and a half to a local lodge, where he was transported to hospital. The gashes in his body took 60 stitches to sew up.

The incident surprised even conservation officers, who say West is lucky to be alive.

Unfortunately, two young bears had to be euthanized because they would not survive the winter without their mother, West said. And while he regrets the deaths of the three bears, he believes he did what he needed to do to survive.
    =====
    :bigthumb: a gun would of saved him alot of trouble but he did pretty damn good. Might want to consider new dogs sounds like they didn't do anything to help him.

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

That guy is hardcore. I still would rather use a .44 Mag or .454 Casull.

3. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

kinda lame they killed the baby bears. shoulda kept one as a pet :x:

4. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Holy shit :eek4:

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

"I believe that's my porridge"

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

From living in bear country once upon a time in montana people are told in a bear attack just to play dead even if the bear is eatting you. I always though that was some liberal hippy nonsense. They say you can't physically fight a bear or out run one. I guess that's not the case.

I carried a S&W model 60 357 when I was in montana. These were popular for 4 legged critters as they would probably be on top of you before you saw them. A snub nose revolver could be fired when pressed up against an animal, no slide to be pushed out of battery. regardless you would probably be dead anyways but you can give the critter something unpleasant as you went down.

For bears I would want a full 12 guage shotgun with slugs.

7. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

If you get eaten by a bear because you were in their country not properly armed then you just got what was coming.

(I would consider armed either a capable firearm or one of those bear pepper spray packs.)

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've heard various things about the playing dead, including that it doesn't work with blacks just browns. :dunno:

Only have scrawny blacks in the areas I goto camp and hike, my python or g29 would take care of them pretty easily I think.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Maybe you do not appreicate. The bears break into your house if you live incertain parts of montana. Granted it is you that live in bear country. You got to woory about moose, big cats, all kinds of stuff. People are the one thing you don't need to worry about. there is very little crime. If somebody gets their car broken into it makes the newspaper.

10. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

They're just bears, man. No need for the heavy ordinance. :ugh:

11. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

I always felt a little bit unnerved when I would hike in the back country with my AR out in MT. I was more afraid of a mountain lion than a bear to be honest. Big cats a sneaky fuckers, and you would most likely never seem them as they're stalking you...that is until you have your neck/jugular in their jaws and can't do shit with a 3' rifle.

:hs:

EDIT: Oh and props to the guy for hulk smashing the everloving shit out of a bear. Even if he straight played dead, he would not have survived an angry mother bear attack.

12. Finest

Finest OG #93

Did they let him keep the bear fur, at least?

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Some of you guys might of read my post of the bear I shot in MT that had our dog trapped under the house. When the tribal police came out (we lived on indian land). They called it a good shoot, no fine, but they hauled off the bear.

The bear was a big as a car. I wish I still had the pictures.