GUN Man camps out at work, busts burglars

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 31, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man camps out at work, busts burglars
    The Associated Press

ATHENS, Ala. --
    Steve Bauer had had enough after two nights of someone breaking into his business and stealing antiques. So he armed himself with a cola bottle and a .44-caliber Magnum and spent the night at work. Soon, Bauer had his man. And a woman.

Bauer, owner of Steve Bauer Properties, was fed up after burglars hit his business twice. So he spent the night at his realty office on Wednesday.

Bauer, 51, had the gun for protection, and he propped the plastic bottle at the back door so it would make a noise if someone opened it.

"I fell asleep sometime after 11," he said. "I woke up when I heard the bottle fall. I could hear papers shuffling in my office."

Bauer peeked into his office and saw a woman with a flashlight looking through his desk. He asked what she was doing, and the woman called him by name and replied she was looking for a house to rent.

"I said, 'Ma'am, it's midnight, and you have a flashlight. I don't believe so. I believe you need to lay down on the ground.'"

Bauer called Athens police, and he heard someone outside while he was on the phone. The woman's boyfriend was in a pickup truck.

"I ordered him to get out and put his hands on the truck," Bauer said. "I told him I had a gun and was on the phone with police, but he cranked the truck and took off."

Bauer shot at the truck's back tires, but a bullet ricocheted off the road and hit the window of another business.

An officer arrived and handcuffed the woman, who remained on the floor, while others searched for the pickup.

"A .44 Magnum's a big gun," Bauer said. "It probably looked like a cannon to her. I think it scared her into staying put."

Police spotted the truck and tried to stop the driver, but he kept going and went to his home, where officers arrested the man.

Police charged Daniel Stubbs, 46, with driving under the influence, drug possession, burglary, attempting to elude, driving with a suspended license and having an open container of alcohol. Stubbs was released from the Limestone County Jail on $8,000 bond.

Police charged his girlfriend, 43-year-old Daphne Watkins, with two counts of burglary. She was out of jail on $4,000 bond, and Bauer said police have recovered most of his antiques, such as Tiffany lamps, cuckoo clocks and jewelry.

Bauer suspects his office was targeted because the two have attended some of the same auctions.

"I don't think they've ever come into my office for business, but they probably recognized me from those auctions and realized I had antiques," he said.
    Information from: The Decatur Daily, http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/index.shtml

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

he drove home to try and get away from the cops?! :rofl:

trying to shoot out the tire probably wasn't such a great idea too...

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

tried to shoot out the tires :rofl: :bigok:

who the fuck runs to their house when trying to evade the cops? :ugh:

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

steve bauer, huh?

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

shame his brother jack wasn't with him.

6. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

His lil bro would be proud

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:werd: He would have shot out the tires causing the truck to roll over. Then he could have located the missing property by jabbing his thumb into whatever wound the guy received.

8. ReFreshing

ReFreshing OT Supporter

thats what i was thinking lol