GUN Man Arrested After Allegedly Sleeping In Car With Shotgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 3, 2009.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man Arrested After Allegedly Sleeping In Car With Shotgun
    http://www.courant.com/community/news/hfd/hc-websleeper0203feb04,0,5957165.story
    By MARK SPENCER | The Hartford Courant
    7:57 AM EST, February 3, 2009

Posting photos of yourself brandishing weapons on MySpace is probably of questionable judgment. Falling asleep in public with said weapons seals the deal.

West Hartford police received a report at about 11:45 p.m. Monday of a man sleeping in a Jeep Cherokee near 168 Abbotsford Ave. When two officers arrived they rousted Roberson Cardoso, 21, of Hartford, who had been sleeping in the back seat.

When Cardoso got out of the car, one of the officers notice a "long object wrapped in a bath robe," Sgt. John Silano said today. The black barrel sticking out one end was kind of a giveaway.

Cardoso told police he was going to use the shotgun and two knives they found in the back seat as props in photos he wanted to post on his MySpace page, Silano said.

Cardoso was charged with three counts of possession of weapons in a motor vehicle. He is being held on$10,000 bond and will appear in Hartford Superior Court today.

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Hartford FTL.

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

It's illegal to have a gun in your car in Connecticut? How the fuck do you go to a shooting range or come back from the gun shop when you buy it without breaking the law? It's the guy's prerogative if he wants to take photos of himself with his own guns.

4. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

I don't understand how any of this is illegal?

At best I'm guessing he might have been trespassing? Is he a felon already or something?

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

The guy's a nut.
    A normal citizen would have been given a pass.
    Asleep in his car?
    Guns and knives in Myspace page?

6. minus

Looks to be a decent part of WH. That said Hartford is a shithole. I have actually driven down Park St with my hand on my gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PvO9Y1OHhY

My windows are 6% on my truck and people still walk right up to the side of the vehicle literally inches away from my truck. I am never doing that again.

7. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

iirc, without a permit any guns have to be unloaded and out of the passenger compartment.

8. minus

Loaded long gun in a vehicle is a crime. That said being from Hartford at that age I am sure he was an "upstanding citizen".

9. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

:werd: north end=mogadishu

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Little known fact but in CA this would of been completely legal.

In CA you can have a fully loaded shotgun in your vehicle without it being locked in a case. You could have it sitting in the passanger seat if you wanted. Granted not a lot of cops know this so you would probably get a lot of grief.

You can also have a rifle unloaded with loaded magazines right next to it. Also not locked in a case.

You cannot however have a loaded pistol or loaded pistol mags. Pistols must be secured and locked. Pistol mags have to be unloaded.

I know this doesn't make any sense another instance of people who know nothing about guns getting to write gun laws.

11. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

CT != CA

12. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I think the fact that he was asleep in a motor vehicle may mean that he wasn't in physical control of the weapon.

13. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

It was to my understanding that you can keep long guns open in vehicles, but under the condition that they are unloaded. Never heard that it was legal to keep a loaded shotgun in your car. Could you provide a source that would state otherwise? Would be pretty interesting if this was true.

14. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

+1, this was my understanding as well.
    Also, it is in no way shape or form illegal to have loaded pistol magazines in your car.

15. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I guess that's fine if you own a sedan. "Passenger compartment" could include the back area in a hatchback or an SUV. If that law is true, then you can only drive a sedan in Connecticut if you own firearms.

16. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

If I slept in my car at a rest stop on an interstate, I would sue the piss out of any jurisdiction that tried to pull that on me. I have a CHL, but still. That would be like claiming someone with a gun on their nightstand when they sleep isn't in control of their weapon.

17. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

regarding the loaded shotgun in CA. It does not specificily state that you could or could not have a loaded shotgun in your vehicle. That is where the confusion lies.

My homicide detective buddy who is a competition shooter, NRA life member and the resident gun laws know it all at the LAPD was asked by two other coppers about the legality of a loaded shotgun in a vehicle. Seems they two coppers took in a farmer who had a loaded shotgun in his pickup. My buddy told them that it was perfectly legal and of course they did not believe him. They were trying to felony the guy. So they spent the next few hours searching through the books to find something to charge him with but couldn't.

The law specificly states no loaded pistols, no loaded pistol magazines, rifles must be unloaded, pistols must be secured. That's it. Thus loaded shotguns, unloaded but otherwise unsecured rifles, and loaded rifle mags are OK.

Now I would not recommend that just because it is not illegal that you roll with loaded shotguns in your vehicle. The cop pulling you over will not believe this and will take you in. Then you'll be like the farmer guy and sit around while they search the books trying to find something to charge you with. You never know they might make something up like you were brandishing, or making threats, etc.

19. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

It was a Jeep Cherokee, I wonder how the deal with people who own SUVs like that or station wagons (or really even a pickup truck) where there is nothing but a passenger compartment.

20. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

possession of weapons in a motor vehicle.

sounds SCARY and fucking retarded

21. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

This is why we need more automobile control legislation. That guy was a ticking timebomb with that Jeep. How many more children have to die before you nutjobs will realize this?!

22. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Vehicles without a trunk, the gun has to be unloaded, inside a locked container other than the glove compartment or center console.

23. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I respectfully disagree with the bolded section. Can you show the section of the penal code that states this? From my understanding, even having an unloaded pistol on your front seat, with a loaded magazine in your cupholder (or whatever) is 100% legal and does not meet the definition of "loaded" in CA.

24. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of
    this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in, or
    attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not
    limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof
    attached to the firearm.

25. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles. (a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person, any weapon, any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 or any machine gun which has not been registered as required by section 53-202, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both, and the presence of any such weapon, pistol or revolver, or machine gun in any vehicle shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the owner, operator and each occupant thereof. The word "weapon", as used in this section, means any BB. gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, any police baton or nightstick, any dirk knife or switch knife, any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, any stiletto, any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (1) Any officer charged with the preservation of the public peace while engaged in the pursuit of such officer's official duties; (2) any security guard having a baton or nightstick in a vehicle while engaged in the pursuit of such guard's official duties; (3) any person enrolled in and currently attending a martial arts school, with official verification of such enrollment and attendance, or any certified martial arts instructor, having any such martial arts weapon in a vehicle while traveling to or from such school or to or from an authorized event or competition; (4) any person having a BB. gun in a vehicle provided such weapon is unloaded and stored in the trunk of such vehicle or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console; and (5) any person having a knife, the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, in a vehicle if such person is (A) any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or any reserve component thereof, or of the armed forces of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, (B) any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, (C) any person while transporting such knife as merchandise or for display at an authorized gun or knife show, (D) any person while lawfully removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, (E) any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such knife from such person's place of abode or business to a place or person where or by whom such knife is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to such person's place of abode or business with such knife after the same has been repaired, (F) any person holding a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license issued pursuant to chapter 490 or any salt water fisherman while having such knife in a vehicle for lawful hunting, fishing or trapping activities, or (G) any person participating in an authorized historic reenactment.

This one is written kind of retarded but the same transportation method is listed in other statutes for shotguns/rifles.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009