GUN Man aquitted for resisting arrest and beating deputies in his home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 18, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070314/NEWS/703140547
    Homeowner had 'a right to resist'

Judge acquits John Coffin on 5 felony charges; Coffin gets time served on 6th.
    By TODD RUGER

[email protected]
    SARASOTA -- John Coffin won't spend any more time in jail for beating up two sheriff's deputies inside his house, striking one in the head with a Taser gun he took from the other.

Circuit Judge Rick De Furia said at Coffin's trial Tuesday that he doesn't condone the violence against the deputies.

But Coffin, 56, had a right to defend his family and property because the deputies had no right to be in Coffin's house in the first place, De Furia said.

"Law enforcement was responsible for the chain of events here," De Furia said. "I think in situations like this, officers become so frustrated they go beyond what the law allows them to do."

The fight started when Coffin heard his wife screaming in pain, went into the garage and saw two deputies arresting her on the floor.

The deputies were trying to serve Coffin with civil papers that had been given five days earlier. They had entered the garage even though they did not have a search warrant or arrest warrant.

And they arrested Coffin's wife, Cynthia, 50, on obstruction charges even though she had no obligation to follow their orders to bring her husband outside.

"The most critical is the fact the officers broke the law by stopping the garage door from going down," and then entering the garage, De Furia said.

A jury was picked for the trial Monday. But the judge granted a motion by Coffin's attorneys, Derek Byrd and Brett McIntosh, and acquitted John Coffin on five of six felony charges Tuesday morning.

Coffin pleaded no contest to the remaining charge of taking a Taser gun from one of the deputies during the fight.

Before handing down the sentence, De Furia asked how long Coffin spent in jail after his initial arrest.

"You spent eight days in the Sarasota County jail," De Furia said. "That's your sentence. No probation."

Relatives applauded, and Coffin walked out of the courthouse with only a $358 bill for court costs. The sentence surprised even defense attorneys, who had suggested De Furia sentence Coffin to probation.

Prosecutors had asked for more than a year of prison time because of "the totality of the case" and the injuries to deputies James Lutz and Stacy Ferris, whose name is now Stacy Brandau.

The two deputies testified about their injuries Tuesday -- three blows to the head with the butt of the Taser gun knocked Lutz unconscious.

"I just ask that he doesn't get away with this," Brandau told the judge.

Assistant State Attorney Jeff Young told the judge the case "could have been over in five seconds" if the Coffins "had simply come out and cooperated."

"That is a man who took it upon himself to beat up two police officers," Young said.

De Furia said that while he believed the deputies' mistakes were not intentional, the Coffins had every right to lock doors, try to close their garage door and not cooperate.

"What took place in the house was unfortunate," De Furia said, "but Mr. Coffin ... had a right to resist."

Last modified: March 14. 2007 5:36AM

:bowdown: atleast theres a few judges still on the citizens side.

2. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

thats awsome. i know when the cops came to my house one night looking for me without a warrant and knocked on my door, my mom told them to GTFO. they left though. fucking pigs think they can do anything and get away with it, then get mad for getting their shit packed in when they break the law. fucking assholes. +1 for real justice. nice.

3. gyeagle1

gyeagle1 New Member

LOL I got time served for putting a cop in ICU when i was in the Military

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

outstanding :bowdown:

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hopfully he files a civil suit against them next.

6. gyeagle1

gyeagle1 New Member

You know he is a marked man in that shithole of a town

7. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Seems to me that if the cops were there illegally, then he shouldn't be charged for taking their taser while they were assaulting his wife.

And you can't post that without the rest of the story, or BS

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Seems like it may of happend cause he was already a marked man

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Sucks for him. He's going to keep getting fucked with until he moves away.

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

good to see that even after he assaulted the deputies they didn't charge him as they were there illegally.

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

he should get a public appology and some money from a setlement instead of being blacklisted for life. Sometimes the good ol' boys club sucks.

12. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

yeah only 1 felony, awsome!

13. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

14. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Wow why am I not suprised this shit happend in my home town. I cant fucking wait to move out west.:ugh:

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ajudication withheld on the 6th charge, I dont think that goes down as a felony?

Charges:
    Statute Code General Offense Character Statute Description Disposition Date Disposition
    790.054 Principal OBSTRUCT POLICE-USE ELECTRIC OR CHEMICAL WEAPON AGAINST LE OFFICER 3/13/2007 Not Guilty/Acquitted
    790.054 Principal OBSTRUCT POLICE-USE ELECTRIC OR CHEMICAL WEAPON AGAINST LE OFFICER 3/13/2007 Not Guilty/Acquitted
    782.051 Principal HOMICIDE WILFUL KILL-FELONY ATTEMPTED MURDER 6/6/2006 Dropped/Abandoned
    843.01 Principal RESIST OFFICER-WITH VIOLENCE 3/12/2007 Not Guilty/Acquitted
    784.07(2B) Principal BATTERY-ON OFFICER OR FIREFIGHTER 3/13/2007 Not Guilty/Acquitted
    843.025 Principal OBSTRUCT POLICE-DEPRIVE OF MEANS PROTECTION OR COMMUNICATION 3/13/2007 Adj W/H By Judge
    784.07(2B) Not Applicable BATTERY-ON OFFICER OR FIREFIGHTER 3/13/2007 Not Guilty/Acquitted

16. keleko

keleko yes, he is

bullshit

if he was on the guy's side, he wouldn't have handed court costs, and there would be a case against teh cops for those 8 days he lost

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He didn't get the best deal out of it he could but he could of done ALOT worse, it seems in many of these sort of cases down south the judge usually sides with the police.

18. Furner

Furner New Member

843.025 Principal OBSTRUCT POLICE-DEPRIVE OF MEANS PROTECTION OR COMMUNICATION 3/13/2007 Adj W/H By Judge

what does this entail?

edit: so even though he got "let off", if he ever wants to own guns again he will have to spend years jumping through hoops.

19. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

:rofl: Ya damn pigs knocking on a door :ugh: Seriously you're a faggot.

20. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

He pleaded no contest to one... he didn't get let off on all of them.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you sound like a real winner :ugh2: what did they want?

22. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i bolted after doing a huge burnout, the likely wanted to arrest me :rofl: this was 5 years ago too, nothing recent. i was a dumbass when i was younger, i did lots of stuff i regret.

23. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

ajudication withheld means that it cant be held against him. .. SO he can buy guns and shit..

I love the attempted murder charges...