Malfunctioning Word Queue: Diagram of my Present Malady

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is slightly off topic, but slightly not. I was in a car accident and suffered a severe concussion that didn't manifest symptoms for 24 hours (weird, I know). Since then I've periodically lost the ability to speak. I go from normal speech to slurring, to mute. Its being looked at, but the reason I made this thread is because... I realized that it is exactly like TCP packets overloading the sliding window, or a web server with limited resources getting too many requests: overload the throughput on the queue and everything after that is lost.

So I made a diagram tonight when I had a bad episode to prove I can still think.

When things are bad, and I fill the shrunken word queue, I can't speak until it self empties. Full empty seems to take between 30 seconds and one minute, and seems to happen at a linear rate. However, if I limit myself to the actual word queue/minute throughput, I can speak continuously for a longer period. Normal speed speech very quickly fills the queue though.

Strange, but accurate. If my mind is a Turing Machine, my word queue is malfunctioning and is too small to hold enough words to speak normally.

http://rjurneyopen.s3.amazonaws.com/word_queue.gif

[​IMG]

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

3. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

thatd be pretty scary dude

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

My present word queue holds 24 words per minute. I measured it by reading as fast as I could out loud and then counting the words I read. After 24 speech fails me completely.

Fun-e

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So you have no problem reading or thinking, only speaking? Damn, that's weird. Doesn't the cerebellum control fine motor function, like forming words using mouth muscles? Or is the problem not so much that you can't say the words properly, but that you can't remember how they're supposed to be said?

I've heard about people who've had damage done to the nerves that connect the two hemispheres of the brain, and they can see out of both eyes but they can't form a stereo image, and they can't describe anything they see in their right eye only.

Has the swelling gone down yet?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I can't say them in my head either, when the queue is full. But I can still understand words.

Swelling, I dunno. I don't think concussions last 10 days. But brain is still pissed.

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I hope you get a fuck ton of money for that. there's no amount of money you could pay me to willingly accept that kind of brain damage.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Not getting a fuck ton of money. Should heal itself.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The ability to "recall" words, to speak, to hear and comprehend, and to read and comprehend are all separate in the brain. It's weird. My Mom had a left-side stroke that affected both Broca's and Wernicke's areas. She reads fine and understands spoken language, but she can't speak words (except "automatic speech" like Hi, or thank you), write words, or even spell them out.

Sounds like Peyomp damaged Wernicke's, which controls vocabulary and word recall. Broca's controls the actual ability to speak. There is a strip directly above Broca's that controls right-side voluntary motor functions, starting at the mouth and going to the toes. Peyomp, I assume you also don't have spells of right-side weakness?

The good thing is that there is a redundant
    Wernicke's on the other hemisphere, it's just not dominate. To extent the metaphor, it works like a fail-over cluster. Unfortunately fail-over isn't automatic, and it has to be trained to take over.

So in that respect it works like a microsoft cluster: not very well...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's funny how phrenology is making a comeback, in some forms anyway. There are actually parts of the brain that do specific things, and their health affects a person's ability to do those things.

Have they figured out yet which part of the brain handles processing the brain's own output as if it were external input, i.e. the conscience?

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I can still type though, without any problems. So... the thinking is still there, but yeah, I can't pull the verbalization of words out in any kind of reasonable time.

Hope to get better data for a better chart at the neurologist on Monday.

No, its not a stroke or something. I pass the neuro exams in all other regards.