Male brains explained v.MSN (copypasted)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Source: http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articlematch.aspx?cp-documentid=8860750&GT1=32023

2. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Aint that the truth. I seem to have better memory when I feel it's important though :dunno:

3. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Although I do not approve of your copy-pasting, I like this article.

4. coldstone

coldstone New Member

Why is that?

5. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i agree with most of it.
    god knows we cant pick up 'hints'
    i think i have a pretty good memory... actually freakishly good. and if i act like i dont know something she has told me its so i dont seem like a freak. (i can recall exact convos from 3 months ago and what was happening and who was there, who said what, and shit like that)

6. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Now that we know what makes women feel the need to talk constantly we should develop a pill that naturally makes them shut the hell up

7. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

I KNOW IT'S LIKE THE STANDARD WAY OF POSTING ARTICLES BECAUSE I AM TOO LAZY TO CLIK. :mamoru:

8. coldstone

coldstone New Member

Did you just call her lazy? Oh shit! Here comes the pain!

9. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

No, I am calling the guy who hounded me about this lazy. Can't remember who it was though. :mamoru:

10. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

That's just cause my hippocampus is really small tho, don't take it personally dude who ragged on me, whoever you are.

11. coldstone

coldstone New Member

Good save.

12. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I saw a documentary all about the differences between the ways men and women use their brains. It was fascinating.

Have you ever sat and listened to a group of females talking together? I have always been amazed at how fast and in tune with one another they are. The conversation rolls from one topic to a completely different topic in mere seconds and every woman is on the same page the whole time.

In that documentary they did several tests to show differences in brain functioning between men and women. I really like one test where the person had to wear a pair of head phones and they were bombarded with different words in each ear, and they had to tell what the words were. The guys only ever heard 1 word, and sometimes it wasn't even the correct word. But the women consistantly could hear each word and recite back both words.

Women have the advantage when it comes to commuication.

13. dan7532

dan7532 New Member

I'm glad you quoted the article in your original post, Falcon. It's proper forum etiquette and prevents members "missing out" because the link does not work for them.
    Fuck you viper. It's regular forum etiquette to post the article in the original post. It prevents broken links, filtered links, pop-ups, and puts the article in the most convenient and easy-to-read format. But why do I bother typing this? Your stubborn ass doesn't come here to listen, only to speak. :ugh::rofl:

BTW, explain hippocampus?

14. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

:dunno: Not sure what it is but:

15. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Part of the brain that controls short term memory and spatial navigation. There are two parts of it (left and right).

It is one of the first if not the first to get damaged during the onset of Alzheimers

16. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

short term memory

17. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Viper and Demos are you guys seriously making a big deal about how he copypasted the article?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Big fuckin deal. If anything it's better that he copypaste's it.

18. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Cliffs on the article:

Men aren't women, so don't expect him to think and react like you would.

Title should be "The Male Brain Explained from a Female Point of View"

Simple answer. Because we aren't women. Men are wondering the exact same about women I can assure you.

Ok. Let's not forget that the male brain is larger overall.

SOURCE: http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-brainsex16jun16,0,5806592,full.story

Size matters? If the man has a larger brain overall but the woman's hippocampus size is larger BY PERCENTAGE, we don't even know if hers is larger overall than his! This isn't science, this is rhetoric. "Size matters! Tee hee!"

Which has nothing to do with hippocampus size. It has to do with the fact that we really don't give a shit about your hair, unless you fuck it up and it looks horrible. Its just not interesting to us like it is to you.

What the hell kind of fail scientist would assume that emotions are organized in the same way in male and female brains?

From the link above, source of which is a scientist from McMaster Univeristy:

"Perhaps, she speculated, these neuron-rich layers in an area associated with perception and speech were the reason women scored more highly than men on tasks involving language and communication."

If women are so much more skilled at communication than men, why do they need science to tell them that DIRECT COMMUNICATION is the most effective way to communicate with men?

If we accept that women communicate more subtly and that men are not good at picking up on this, we need to examine the opposite point that many women are not aware of the OBVIOUS fact that men respond much better to DIRECT COMMUNICATION.

We are led to believe that women are more skilled communicators because they pick up on subtle differences. If this is true, I attest that women lack common sense for not being able to realize that when they communicate subtly with men that their communication is INEFFECTIVE.

Greater communication skill would lead me to believe women could easily realize they need to switch from subtle (indirect) to direct when dealing with men.

More fail science! 17 females and 43 males comprise the study? Why not an equal number? Were the men and women of similar backgrounds.

The link I posted above suggests that the way the brain develops can be influenced by environment. I read a lot as a child and I know this led to me being able to use written communication more effectively than the average person. It is known that women speak considerably more words per day than men. Womens' brains may have developed in this way because of how they have chosen to use their brains, not as an actual biological difference.

I do agree with the basic premise that women in general are more verbally adept than men.

Sounds good to me.

"May" be? How in the hell would he see your shared past the same way? Would two FEMALES see their shared past in the same way? This is garbage.

Actually, the link I posted above shows that in men, being left or right handed influences which side of the brain is used for which functions. But left and right handed women don't show this difference.

Some men will fall into the category she mentions, but some will not (based on being left or right handed, which she doesn't address at all despite citing a study from McMaster University, which is the source of the link I provided above).

This would seem more linked to men being the sexual aggressors than anything else.

In general women are passive sexually and men are active (there are always exceptions to everything - I don't need to hear about your female friend who always initiates sex).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  19. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Another point:

"As she matched the brain specimens to the intellectual qualities of their owners, she discovered that differences in the size of the corpus callosum were linked to IQ scores for verbal ability, but only in women. She found that memory was linked to how tightly neurons were packed, but only in men."

This suggests there is not always a direct correlation between male and female brains when you examine them section-by-section.

20. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

it's an MSN article

enough to discredit pretty much anything it says anyway

21. Joybang

Joybang New Member

These things are almost always fluff pieces aimed at water cooler discussion.

22. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Excellent point by Yail about absolute size vs. percentage.

23. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

I was much more impressed by this:

You'd think some of the writers of Cosmo would have the common sense to tell women this, eh?

24. coldstone

coldstone New Member

You sell magazines by telling people what they wanna hear, not what's right.

25. demosnat

demosnat New Member

For the same reason you on occasion talk to your dog, talk to your kids like they're an adult, talk to your plane mate even thought they don't speak english, unless you're actively thinking about it you assume everyones operating on the same field you are.
    I have to remind myself that my boyfriend, brother, etc, may not get nuanced meaning like I do, and be more obvious with them.
    That said I think most men are much better at picking up subtlety than they're given credit for, they're just less confident acting on it