A&P MAKS '09 Airshow - Moscow

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Astro, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

There's been some awesome airshow pics. Figure I toss mine in the mix for critique. I took an attempt to clean these up in Photoshop and Lightroom and I'm not sure about the results (tips for improvement would be most welcome).

Quick background: This was my first time shooting an airshow since getting my D80 (I shot this air show in 2007 with an N80). Weather was insanely overcast, cloudy, and cold (~54F with ~15 knot winds). I used the 70-300mm with the VR turned on to try to cancel out my shivering. I wish I had more experience shooting MAKS and could understand Russian. My wife was telling me, "that one is going to drop water." I turn around and look at her, "what?!" By the time I turn back around, it had already started the drop (water was in red, white, and blue - in the order of the Russian flag). Same goes with the flares. This airshow is AWESOME (lots of hardware of all flavors).

[​IMG]

2. Camera metered off the flares on this one. Tried to tweak a little.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The Italian Demo Team (forgot their name)
    [​IMG]

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

looks like it was an awesome show. I like #5 a lot

3. insomnia

insomnia New Member

badass :coold:

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

how do u like the 70-300 VR?

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

For what I'm doing and my skill level, I think it is about perfect for me. The 70-200mm f/2.8n was an option when I was researching. But the cost and physical size kept me away. I wanted a lens I could travel with and the 70-300 isn't light, but I don't think it is as hefty as the 70-200mm (don't get me wrong, I would still love the 70-200mm f/2.8).

So for me, I love this lens. The VR has been excellent. I don't always have steady hands, especially when carrying this lens around, or when I'm outside all day in cold weather. On the D80, I love that the reach goes to about 450mm.

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah i wouldnt mind having it for my d90. 200 doesnt quite cut it at some stuff. 300mm would be great

sucks the lens is so damn pricey

7. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

a few of these could look a little better w/ some creative cropping and some levels/curves adjustments. Hope you don't mind, but i spent a couple minutes to rough out my suggestions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

They all seem pretty underexposed, which is most likely due to your camera metering all the white clouds. Next time use exp compensation to over expose by a stop and a half or so. Keep an eye on your histogram.

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Totally agree! These were heavily under exposed and I lightened them up a bit. I felt I still wanted to keep the over cast as a record of the grey day that it truly. Although that doesn't make for a nice picture...

If you don't mind, let me take a crack at editing these once more. Let me try fiddling with the exposure a bit more and see if I can match your work. I will post them when I get done to see if I came close. Thanks for the feedback!

9. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i like 1 and 2 pretty sharp

10. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

Pretty cool. Would spot metering be a good setting for these or are they moving too fast to meter off of?