Making some changes

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Moist, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moist

Moist New Member

Alright, I'm a long time lurker on OT, but after stupid amounts of procrastination I decided I'd suck it up and post.

I'm 21 and weigh somewhere around 330-350lbs. I'm not 100% on that number, since as it stands the nearest set of scales doesn't go that far (ugh). A few years ago I was around 200lb, but in better shape and much easier on the eyes. I used to hit the gym after school pretty much every day and rode my bike everywhere, but I ate shit food all the time and the gym in my town had an anal guy running it who refused to let minors use freeweights so I never really got into the swing of putting in any real/meaningful work at the gym.

Basically I stopped because most of my life went to shit. I was in a major car accident, then my single parent died, and because people are assholes the day of the funeral someone stole my bike. I spent ages eating crap, moping around and letting myself turn into one of the tubbies I used to make fun of.

Anyway, I decided to put that behind me, and figured I need to clean my shit up and get back on the horse.

I have a few questions:

First - I started back at the gym, just trying to ease my body into being used to punishment again. At the moment before I do weights I'm pushing 30 minutes of cardio on treadmills/elliptical cross-trainers per session with the middle 10 minutes being the hard ten. I never did cardio work when I was younger, so:

a) Am I better off breaking my cardio into three seperate 10min sessions with a hard-phase in the middle between weights, or is 30mins straight better.
    b) I remember when I did weights before if I kept doing the same thing over every day I'd get less and less benefit - is cardio the same, and if so, how often should I be trying to mix it up
    c) And lastly, I was wondering if I get better benefits from just walking on my own than using the machine?

Second - My weights routine is pretty off. When I started going to the gym, some anal guy was running the place and refused to let younger people do anything except the machine benches/leg presses etc. The times I can go to the gym there's never anyone there, and the staff are unhelpful at best. I need some advice about what kind of exercises a novice at non-machine assisted weights could learn without getting too injured in the process, and mainly about what kind of exercises maximise the after-exercise calorie burn.

Third... pretty simple really. I was just wondering if people could maybe share some good tasting, healthy recipes for stuff. I can't eat fish (which fails, I know) but I'm guessing for most fish recipes I can probably just replace it with chicken (I get my omega-3's from fish oil supplements). I'm pretty handy in the kitchen, and I figure that instead of starting out making healthy meals that maybe don't taste all that interesting a few people's tasty faves might keep me on the improvement track.

Cliffs: My life went to crap and I got fat because I got lazy, I have some questions about what I'm doing to fix it.

2. B4 I FU R U 18

B4 I FU R U 18 Active Member

best advice would be to read up on the stickies/archives in here. they are very helpful. they will also keep you motivated. perhaps make a log to track your progress.

very quickly, i will try to answer some of your questions, may not be completely accurate on some of the things
    first,
    most people, if not all people, recommend cardio after weight training. you use your carbs(energy) up during weight training and then when you do cardio right after you burn more fat instead of carbs
    its good to mix cardio up. if you do the same thing for cardio every time i think you will be fine.

c) benefits are pretty much the same. if you walk a mile you will burn the same amount of calories as if you were the run a mile. it will just take longer to walk the mile. machine or no machine its the same thing

second question, third question

read the stickies. watch youtube videos (for form). browse this forum. www.bodybuilding.com forums are helpful for exercises/food recipes as well.

best advice is take it one day at a time. all of us at times eat poorly, dont feel like working out, etc etc, just keep working at it.

my advice: focus on your nutrition. when grocery shopping buy only good stuff so you dont even give yourself the option of eating a bag of doritos. if you need to eat fastfood, go for grilled chicken breasts. soem of my favorite things are subway sandwiches(double turkey, no cheese, no garbage condiments) kfc grilled chicken, mcdonalds grilled chicken etc

perhaps pick up a couple of muscle and fitness or other bodybuilding magazines. they will give you helpful advice and will keep you motivated

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. B4 I FU R U 18

B4 I FU R U 18 Active Member

4. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

Wait, what?

5. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

walking a mile is not really the same as running a mile because if you're walking too slowly your heart rate is probably too low to get any real cadiovasular benefits from it. At your weight I wouldn't really run though...it could be really hard on your joints. Brisk walking, biking, and swimming would be a lot better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.