Making my first gaming pc, and yes i am a noob so i came seeking help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shadowoperative, Apr 20, 2010.

1. shadowoperative

shadowoperative Rawest asian alive, so raw they call me sashimi.

I've got some of the stuff that i want to get and did some research on it but so far i've decided to go with this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130239

and this...

i was going to shoot for the i5 since it was cheaper but i've saved up the extra and went for the i7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115214&cm_re=i7-860-_-19-115-214-_-Product

and here is the case i want to put it in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011&Tpk=windtunnel%20xclio

i know what i need left is ram, Hard drive, disk drives, video cards and a good power supply. But how can i tell what is decent to best for this current setup? Or is the beg of this setup not really worth it?

I appreciate your help guys.

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

budget?

3. thekraft

thekraft New Member

And what are you using the computer for? Btw, the Windtunnel is hot as hell. One of my friends has it, and it looks awesome.

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Not only that but what resolution is your monitor?

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

If by awesome you mean completely gay then yeah I would have to agree.

Bottom line with that case:
    1. If you got those fans on it is gonna be louder and more bothersome then other cases. Can't get around that.
    2. You really only need that much fan power if you are: A) running dual video cards B) running in a hot room with no possibility of AC or C) running the computer in a tight enclosure (in this case those fans may still not be enough).

But, if your PC has one video card in it and is sitting somewhere where airflow really isn't a problem and the room never really gets too hot then you will never need those fans.

Don't get me wrong. There is a market for that sort of thing. People do run dual video cards, people would rather have a gaming rig then AC and there are people like yours truly that have controlling wives that force the us to put the PC's in fucking cabinets (for the record, I solved my substantial airflow problems by cutting a hole in the back of the cabinet, I still didn't need that case).

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have no issue with the proc or mobo, but what of the video card? Do you already have one?

For that matter lets talk power supply, hard drives and monitor.

You said you already have some parts (which is really the way to go, I consider a PC to be an evolving creature as opposed to something that you throw all the parts away at once when one of them goes bad), which parts you got?

7. shadowoperative

As of right now im not on a firm budget but i would like to save a couple bucks if i can.

8. shadowoperative

Gaming basically and possibly some ps, flash and programming stuff for school.

and +1 for the windtunnel it was one of the best for the price i was looking for. I wanted to get a case called the bulldozer but that was to blocky for me nice look though.

9. shadowoperative

I don't have one yet i forgot to say but im building it from the ground up basically so im getting parts as save money. BUUUTT planning on getting 20-26 inch depending on how much i have left.

10. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Gotta give an idea of some sort of budget. 500-1k? 2-3k?
    Some people try to save 20 bucks, others only bother with a few hundred.

11. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Fans are fans. You can disconnect them, or in this case, just turn them down. The larger the fan, the quieter it is, anyhow. And it NEVER hurts to cool down your computer.

Frankly, the case is awesome cuz it looks badass, not because of fans. It's solidly built, works well, and is easy to access.

Btw, if your computer is in a cabinet, and if you have overheating issues, no number of fans is really going to solve the problem. You'd just be circulating hot air.

12. shadowoperative

Haha women never understand do they?

but

Noise isnt too much of a problem for me but if you know; how loud is it? Very noticeable?

i was planning on going for two video cards if i can afford it. Plus on the windtunnel those fans can turn on and off.

13. shadowoperative

well with the current setup it looks like with those three items its already 550+ so maybe i can push a grand.

14. thekraft

thekraft New Member

20" monitors can run as cheap as 100 bucks.

I actually picked up my 28" for 250, but I got lucky on a deal there.

Ehh, with "ram, Hard drive, disk drives, video cards and a good power supply." and a monitor, you're going to be hard pressed to do it under a grand. Don't forget about tax and shipping.
    HD = 50
    RAM = 50
    Video card = 150
    PSU = 50
    Monitor = 100
    Tax + shipping = ~100

And those costs are the bare minimum, I think.

15. shadowoperative

For that list im going with these choices i think

HD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296&cm_re=raptor-_-22-136-296-_-Product

For the ram I saw two corsairs that i want to get...kind of puzzled cause there is the 2x2gb ddr3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145198&cm_re=corsair-_-20-145-198-_-Product

and there is the 2x2gb ddr2 which is cheaper...why is that.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145198&cm_re=corsair-_-20-145-198-_-Product

16. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

He may not NEED it, but that doesn't mean it won't extend the life of his computer.

17. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

DDR3 is a newer technology and like all newer technologies is more expensive. Go with the DDR2 you won't notice a difference.

18. shadowoperative

right but in this case the newer tech is actually alot cheaper.

19. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I completely disagree. I don't believe it would extend the life of the computer at all.
    I am not sure it would hurt anything. But it is a stupid thing to have hanging off the side of his case. If he has them running then they add to the noise level and if he has them off... then why have them at all? In case he needs them? If he needs them then he needs to look at other variables (like location, ventilation, air conditioning, etc.) as well.

20. thekraft

thekraft New Member

If there are fans dissipating heat, it will always extend the life of the components (solong as your room isn't in the middle of a dust cloud or something).

heat + electronics = death

That's not even debatable. Granted, he may replace the computer before the parts die, or maybe the parts die for other reasons, but the fans will always help.

And honestly, why are you so hung up about the fans? When I look at a case, I consider size, material/build, layout, and fans, in that order. Honestly, extra fans are always a plus, since you can always disconnect them. It's like saying, oh, I don't want to buy this car because it has a spare tire, it's just going to take up space.

21. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Err, you actually linked to the same two sets of RAM. But things like timings, brand, heatsinks, etc affect the cost. Mem type is just one factor.

22. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Well if you budget is $1000. Now you'll need a video card, power supply, hard drive, optical drives, and a monitor. I'm only guessing you have an OS to install already so we'll skip that. For video cards I'd go with a ATI 5770, brand doesn't really matter as its more up to you. I'd go crossfire if you have the money as they are probably the best bang for the buck at the moment. Power supplies, I'd probably go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003, it has a strong 12v rail (only a single rail but I think you'll be plenty fine with that) and also is modular. As for hard drives I'd go with something simple like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533. Get 2 of those and just do a raid 0 set up. Then you have 1.5T of space to put shit on and if anything happens to either drive you have a full mirror image. Raid is very simple to use and recover with so I highly suggest it. Might want to just say partition one drive with 500 for your OS and then mirror that and then partition another section into 500 and mirror that and if you need the rest of the 500 do the same. That way not everything is stuck one partition. With monitors I'd go either a bigger monitor like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043 or go with a newer LED monitor like this http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBsQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers . Thats what I'd go with. And should bring you around $1000 or so I believe.

23. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Your addition's fine, if you don't include taxes and shipping, but I *think* he meant $1k including his CPU, mobo, and case at $550

24. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

ohhhh......lol

25. shadowoperative

yeah lol

but ummm when i get this stuff will any of this come with instructions on how to set up the hard drves and partitioning and other stuff?