Making money on a facebook app. We have the ideas, now how is it possible?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vumpler, Jan 12, 2010.

1. vumpler

vumpler New Member

My friend has come up with what I feel is a genius idea for a facebook app. We have searched all over and can't find anyone doing this.

I understand we would need to hire lawyers, a coder, etc on that side of it and that is fine.

Primary questions: if you have a facebook app posted that people love and flock to, other than donations how do you generate revenue? I understand with a typical website you can put google ads etc on your site and get money per click or per purchase, but with it being a facebook app how can you generate income?

Secondary questions: if you create an app that takes advantage of another website already on the internet just with modifications and additions to it allowing it to be utelized on facebook: How does that work in general? Would we need to contact that company and let them know we'll be sending traffic their way or using a free service the prvoide? I'm assuming some sort of royalties will need to be paid in the end, but mostly wondering what I would need prepared for my protection before contacting them.

2. vumpler

vumpler New Member

I feel like your post completely neglected every question I posed and latched onto the idea that a business has to know how to make money. Of course it does. Hence the reason I'm asking all the questions that are vital in deciding which approach needs to be taken to generate funds.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

the only thing i can think of (in a quick idea at work) would be to create this "genius idea" to work for multiple companies, instead of just one. You would then sell your service/idea to those end companies and get payment from that company for your service. You could manage this service/idea/app for the companies.

It would essentially work just like 'click ads' or a referral from advertisements. I'm not sure if this is what you are trying to come up with, but it doesn't seem like it could really come to fruition.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

:bowrofl:

you just took a guess at what his idea was and said it won't work without having any clue what his idea is.

ts, if you're serious, get a lawyer. if you don't and your idea ends up being popular, either facebook, the company whose data you're leeching (google is my guess), or someone who *did* get a lawyer is going to screw you out of your idea.

5. vumpler

vumpler New Member

And we have plenty of funding to back everything. The concern is, how do facebook apps make money other than requireing payment or just living off donations?

6. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Look at the big ones:
    FarmVille, CastleAge, FishLife, etc. All those fucking things.

They offer premium services in exchange for $$$, or for performing actions for advertising offers.