Making Java GUI code open source?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by celendin, Mar 3, 2006.

1. celendin

celendin New Member

Hi I am a beginner to Java. I was wondering if this was possible.

Say I write a calculator applet to host on my website for other users to use. Can I make just the GUI code open source so users can modify the appearance of the applet and then save the GUI code to their usernames on the web server, so the next time they logon, the changed calculator appearance will be stored on the web server already. However, the core code should remain the same so new users who sign up won't be using some else's Calculator GUI code.

2. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

you can make the math functions in one file, and have all the gui in another. Then the user can make their own frontend and just call your math functions.

3. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

i don't know why you would want to do this....how much gui control are you really planning on someone being able to modify in java? Like he said, just make them in two classes, then when you compile, keep the base as whatever.class and release both the .class and .java of the gui?

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Open source the whole thing, just don't make changes to the interface that you do your calculations on, between versions.