COMIC Making it as a comic book writer

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by the13thzen, May 5, 2007.

1. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

i'm interested. anyone know how that works? like how to become a successful comic book writer...? :hs:

2. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Other writers said that they all just got lucky breaks. It also depends on whatever you consider to be "successful." If you want to be a Loeb or Bendis, you're gonna have to start low and work your ass off. If you want to be like Alan Moore, you have to be weird. Same goes for Gaiman. BKV and Kirkman made their way through indies which is just a clusterfuck of connections and buckfutting. A good many of newer writers have degrees.

3. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

it's all about networking.

4. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

do these "lucky breaks" involve putting out indies? i assumed they almost always do.

what are their degrees in? Creative Writing? :dunno:

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  5. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

are there any cases when a comic author's success hasn't been based on networking?

6. Bobbot

afaik, no. Also, it's easier for an artist to get known than a writer since their stuff is easier to evaluate on the fly or with little effort. A writer's stuff has to be read and considered in greater detail.

That said, you should find yourself a crude artist or learn to draw yourself, then make some ashcans. Whenever you find yourself at a convention or something, you can give those out for free hoping that the right person enjoys it. You can also make a deal with your LCS to put out some ashcans for 50 cents or so to get your name known locally so you can get some feedback via criticism.

My friend did this, but he was an artist though. He also graduated from the Joe Kubert school of art. Being a grad automatically granted him professional status, so he could always have a little booth at the comicons. He eventually got picked up by tokyopop for $40 per page I think, on a graphic novel.

7. Bobbot

Oh, now that I think about it, Bryan K. Vaughan made a blog about "making it" as a writer on his Myspace. Look him up!

8. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

okay! thanks :hs:

i used to go to Comic Con all the time, but stopped going once I got stuck here in AZ when we moved from SD.

9. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

i checked out Vaughan's myspace and it says his bachelor's was in Film and Dramatic Writing. i wanna degree like that, especially since i'm also interested in film and would be perfect for comic-writing preparation. the closest my university has is a Creative Writing degree though :(