making an offroad bike street legal?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zippo[m], Apr 24, 2005.

1. zippo[m]

zippo[m] New Member

I'm looking to eventually getting a street bike, I'd rather learn on something a little bit more conservative. This summer I was planning on hitting the trails with a friend who's a very experienced rider. We were going to get our bikes street legal too, for tooling around town, and for going to the beach, etc. I was going to pick up a used XR200 and try to get it inspected. I've had my class M learner's permit for 3 years, but never did anything with it. I'm going to renew it this year, and just use it for day time riding. I was planning on slapping on 2 mirrors, blinkers, headlight, and a horn - all rigged up to a charged battery. Will this pass inspection? even if it's not rigged too a stator or some kind of alternator? I just want it to barely pass inspection, enough for me to be able to get to the trails in my town and maybe use it for some ligh street driving on backroads. Any tips for getting a dual purpose bike on the roads in MA?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

you could always buy a bike thats already dual purpose qualified.

3. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

Yep like an older Honda nx, nice little bikes

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Contact Baja Designs. They can give you straight info on what is needed to convert a bike in your state. I can also help you out in wiring up a real dual sport kit that will work right. I put one together for my bike and it works great plus I can remove it in about 10-15 minutes if I'm not going to need it.

Since your friend is very experienced I'd skip the XR200 and get an XR250 (R not L). The 200 has a good reliable motor, but the suspension is very lacking stock and there isnt much in the way of upgrades for it. The XR250 has a lot more power, far superior suspension and brakes plus much more in the way of aftermarket parts.

And an NX is horrible as a dirt bike. Its the worst of both worlds.

5. zippo[m]

zippo[m] New Member

I think the limiting factor may be what I can find for sale in my area and also my budget. But thanks a lot for the reccomendation, I'm going to run out and pick up a copy of the WantAds later and see what I have for options. I'm 5'8" 145, so I'm not a big guy either.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

You should be able to find an early to mid 90's XR250 for that price if you look around.