GUN Making a california tacticool sks...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeffreyliu838, Jul 30, 2009.

1. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I have a norinco sks that I want to make tacticool. I've been kinda bored with it recently and I think some tlc will make my gun more fun. The catch is, I live in california, and I'd like to keep everything legal. Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

4 or 5 optics solutions and a few flashlights. Plus a fleshlight.

3. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

How should I mount them?

4. BLH

BLH Member

LOL @ the fleshlight.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

honestly tactical sks's are stupid. Even in CA. Leave it stock. If you want something better build a AR or AK. Yes you can do this in CA.

6. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I had an AK at one time but it was stolen in a home invasion. I liked the SKS better so I never replaced the AK. And AR's are expensive.

I'm doing this tactical sks project for fun. Why do you think tactical sks's are stupid D:

7. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Hrm. Seems like the consensus is that tactical sks's suck. How come? Is it just cause they're ugly? Or are sks's just impractical to be used as a tactical base?

8. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

mount the open end under the barrel, fuck it while the gun is loaded, hope for the best.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Typical noob move is to build a Tactical SKS's or a Tactical 10/22. It's just been done so many times and done badly. Lots of garbage tapco stuff bought from cheaper than dirt. Your not going to get any improvement in fuction or accuracy. Which is the practical reason anyone would want to build up a rifle. Your going to get flamed on the net and laughed behind your back at the range when you post pics or actually shoot the thing. If you want to build something cool that people will think is cool, and more importantly has function which is the whole key of being cool then do a AR or shotgun, or 308 bolt gun. There are other platforms but these are the three most common rifles to accesorize that actually work out well.

Can a SKS be cool. Yes leave it stock. If I had a SKS I would keep it around as a general fighting gun. Keep it stock because that is the configuration that sks's run most reliable. A beater rifle that I won't cry if it's dropped, used as a club, or flung accross the floor to a friend to help me in a gun fight against scum fucks if the SHTF.

While I don't have a lot of respect for the SKS in terms of it's accuracy. My copper buddies tell me they are no joke and a concern in the hands of criminals. It is a very popular rifle for criminals because they are inexpensive, easy to get and have plenty of penetration power. It is a concern when doing a room entry and the bad guys are plugging rounds through the walls while your about to go in.

10. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Wait... There are no practical mods for the SKS? I was thinking like, removal of the bayonet (evil feature -1), detachable mags (evil feature +1), more friendly sights (you need a tool to adjust left and right), etc. Synthetic body too of course, but that would just be for looks (and to get rid of my super cosmoline body).

Is it not possible to do that? Or would I just be a giant nubcake doing it :/

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It's still going to be an SKS, just with a bunch of cheap crap on it. If you don't enjoy shooting it, sell it and buy something you do.

12. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

...Cheap practical crap.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Buy better sights, and leave the rest alone.

14. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Suggestions?

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Then just upgrade the sights like Prozen said. Mojo sights are decent. It's not going to shoot better with a Tapco remodel, sights will improve it, but range time and practice will improve your shooting more.

16. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Oh, for sure, I agree with you. I never planned on tapco'ing it out. Gonna google mojo sights, thanks for the suggestion.

So detatchable mags + bayonet removal are a no go?

EDIT: Are there trigger mod kits being sold? The pull is a little heavy...

Thanks.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Like Kesh said, the Mojo's are reputed as being pretty good. So are the tech-sights.

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Detatchable mags for the SKS can be pretty hit or miss. If it feeds reliably now, I'd leave it alone. I dunno much about CA laws, removing the bayo may lighten up the front a bit. It may throw off the point of impact though, I don't have an SKS and don't remembered if they are attached to the barrel or not.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

IIRC SKS detachable mags are a nogo on SKS's in CA. Yeah I know it doesn't make sense and does not qualify as would a OLL

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

At the end of the day its sinking money into an inaccurate obsolete gun. If you want an AK or an AR save your pennies.

And home invasion? Wtf do you have like pounds of drugs laying around your house?

21. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Yeah, sell it and get an AK

22. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

My sks is more accurate than my ak was.

Normal people don't get robbed?

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Burglary is pretty common, home invasions are not and usually linked back to drugs.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

actually home invasion are popular with asian gangs and they usually target asian families. Especially recent imigrants because they tend not to keep money in banks or keep large sums of money at home.

When I was growing up this was a concern of my family. My parents owned several restraunts and asain small business owners are the most popular target.

25. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'll just say that if it makes you happy, do it. Contrary to what Yar says, it doesn't matter what people at the range or on the internet say behind your back if you enjoy shooting the gun. If you don't, get rid of it, but if you think that spending a couple hundred on it will make you like it, then give it a shot. Personally, I'd just build an AR if I had a need for a tacticool gun.

$.02