GUN Make your own kydex holster

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kellyclan, Mar 26, 2007.

1. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Reposting my thread from another forum. I haven't been adding much to WMD lately and it seems like the sort of thing WMDers might like to try.

I've had a kydex knife/sheath kit laying around for about about two years now. A quick google will net you plenty of places to buy one, I don't recall where I got mine. Bought it to do some knives and never made the time. Enter the new beater/potential carry gun, a well-loved P228.

Love the way a SIG fits my hand, etc, etc...I need a holster for this baby, but if T=toys, then T$=0

What to do? Well, being in the middle of putting in a new kitchen, we have lots of tools laying around and HH6 doesn't get too miffed about a big mess. Out comes the sheath kit, saber saw, dremel, and heat gun; here's what happened next:

[​IMG]
    Marking the kydex with a sharpie, I did a rough outline and generously cut with the saber saw. A jig would be better, as the kydex wouldn't be able to shake around so much, but I made do. You could use a dremel or even EMT shears, but those methods you'll want to leave lots of extra and you'll end up needing to sand it a lot more to get it down smooth.

[​IMG]
    First fold, heat gun on high, I heated the kydex until it was starting to "sweat" a little. Then I had about 5-10 seconds of soft time to mold the kydex. With my kit, I also had bought a piece of molding foam, figuring I'd make myself a cheap molding press, but I ended up just holding two pieces of foam together with my hands, and actually, the first fold was really the only time I used the foam.

[​IMG]
    Initial shaping; I shaped each side individually, heating the empty kydex with the heat gun about 3" away and waving it over the surface until "sweaty". I then shoved the SIG in and used my leather gloved fingers to press the kydex into shape. My fingers got warm but not too hot and the SIG got warmed but not too hot to handle. I'm confident doing it this way will not harm any sort of finish.

[​IMG]
    Other view of rough cuts. Not shown at this point, I marked where the retention screw and belt clip were going. The screw was from the sheath kit and the belt clip was from a broken Sidearmor holster that was out of warranty. Bladetech IWB straps will come, but for now I have this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After a run in with the dremel's sanding wheel and drilling/placing the screws and clip, it is pretty much a real, functioning IWB holster. Up next is to get some 200-600 grit sand paper to smooth up the edges further, but the dremel did alright.

Lesson's learned:
    -Drill hardware holes small if you plan on fitting the hardware with the kydex hot. You can see the clip hardware holes stretched a bit when I placed the clip.
    -Measure, measure, measure. It sits about 3/4" higher than I wanted, so I'm not happy toting it at 4:30 where I'm used to, but is still comfortable with good retention at 3:00.
    -Cutting and especially sanding kydex makes a BIG, dusty black plasticy mess. Not a project for the kitchen table.
    -It's pretty easy. The left overs are going to make a Yaqui-type OWB belt slide for HH6's BHP, and a OWB for my G23/X200 will also be forthcoming.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Doesn't look too pretty but I'm sure it gets the job done. Seems it would be easier to make a knife sheath. Nice work :cool:

4. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Thats cool... I just like buying shit. :o