make me feel dumb: dual boot backup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Morgan06, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I use xp and ubuntu and want to backup with an external HD. Are the ext3 WMV/MP3 files going to fuck up the existing NTFS files?

ib:ugh:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The different filesystems are just different ways to organize the drive's table of contents. The actual data in each file is exactly the same. When the files get copied to your backup drive, the data will stay the same, and the new entries in the table of contents will be added in whatever format the backup drive's filesystem uses.

EDIT: You may, however, have difficulty copying files to an NTFS hard drive in Linux. NTFS is proprietary and all the readers that Linux has for it are all based on trial-and-error, so none of them really work perfectly. If you're willing to take the time to copy all the files off your backup drive, reformat it to FAT32, and copy the files back, you'll have better compatibility with both OSes. Alternately, you can reformat the backup drive to ext3 and copy your Linux files to it, then reboot into Windows and install 'ext2IFS' so Windows can read the backup drive too.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Or if your external drive is actually a NAS, you don't have to worry about it - the NAS will have it's own filesystem and serve up the files seamlessly.

4. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

As long as you backup to a drive that is FAT32 (and don't have any files larger than 4 gig) you'll be fine.