make me a HT speaker setup on budget

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Jun 19, 2007.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

$1,000. My walls are prewired for 7.1. Please lmk the pros and cons to what I could get for this price range.

Everyone I talk to in person says go to Best Buy and get BOSE. :rofl:

I know better than that, however what is up to date now for this price level. Thx guys you always help out. :x:

2. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

outlaw audio, paradigm, done

3. ittech

shit, the outlaw 1070 is like 899... it'd be better to spend more on the speakers...

maybe start with a $499 denon receiver, and the paradigm monitor series for the surrounds/sub and the studio series for mains/center... nope that's still like $4k :rofl:

You really should start by purchasing the studio 100's and an outlaw 1070... That'll really kill your budget by a lot though, so maybe the monitor 70's and the 1070 for just a bit more...

Anything is better than bose though... If you really want cheap just grab the little onkyo 7.1 setups for like $600... it'll blow the bose away but it's nothing special

You can get killer 2ch for this price with used gear from audiogon... some older thiel's or vandersteens with a creek integrated will kick ass for music and do a decent job on movies, but no surround.

4. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

$1,000 will buy you a very meager 7.1 system. In fact, any single pair of speakers in this price range is usually going to have some significant flaws. It's not going to sound great, but it'll work. Since your budget demands a lot for little, your subwoofer's probably going to be pretty bad, and you'll find it's limitations pretty quickly if you have any ear at all.

Basically, you'll have a home theatre system that works and sounds ok, but it won't be anything to brag about. Using cars as a scale of quality, a $1,000 7.1 system will be on par with a Metro, maybe a Kia.

5. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Step 1. Go with 5.1 instead of 7.1.

6. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

***step 1: go to audioholics.com and start reading shit

step 2: once you've got some brands in mind, go to some stores and demo and find out what you like, then worry about pricing and set a realistic price point that sets into what you want and what you can afford

PS go to places like paradigm.com, klipsch.com, dynaudio.com, mcintosh.com, so on and so forth and start looking for local dealers in order to help locate private shops that have a good array of shit. go around and look at stuff urself

when you have some shit in mind come back to us for a 2nd opinion

8. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

okay guys....i get that my budget isn't much however I am only talking the speakers here. The receiver is a separate budget. Does this open up a little more stuff or no ?

9. ittech

My advice is spend as much as possible on the mains then the center channel and the rest can be crap...

Then again I've got over 10k in a 2ch setup now... haven't gone multichannel since it's expensive to do it right

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

you could order a speaker kit from axiomaudio.com

:dunno:

11. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

:werd:

Find your local audio shops, grab some movies and music you are familiar with and go listen to as much as you can.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

13. ittech

Give this a try, burn it then listen to it and take it around when shopping.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2036361

edit: IMO I had tracks on there that will show strengths and weaknesses of $10k+ speakers so it should be good for cheap stuff as well. Find the best compromise for the money that plays all of them well or the one that does what you like best.

14. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

With that kind of a price you are better off building a set of speakers.

15. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If you are somewhat serious about making a decent HT setup, then I say just start with 2.1 (mains + sub) or 3.0 (mains + center) to begin with and add the other speakers later.

If you go with floorstanders with decent bass output then start with that and a good center channel I guess.

Buying 8 speakers (7 plus sub) for $1000 puts you at just over $100 per speaker, not much for something that really sounds good unfortunately.

Personally I have run a 2.1 setup for over 2 years that ran me about $1000 for two bookshelf speakers and a sub (all NHT) and it works great for me because I don't often watch movies that really utilize surround capabilities and people are always impressed.