Make A Folder Password Protecting In XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by C_Blyth, Feb 1, 2005.

1. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

hey is there a away that i can make a folder password protected to that to open it you need a password???

without using any third party software!!!

thanks

2. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

Right click desktop--> go to new--> bottom option is Compressed (zipped)folder. Once you have something saved in the new folder, open it, right click and choose add password. There's also some Javascript you can add to password protect it, but I don't have it handy- maybe a google search for it.

3. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

nope that doesn't work!!!

4. 0wn3d_productivity

Then you suck- give up.

5. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

thanx!!!!

does anyone else actually know...cos that dick dosn't!!!

6. 0wn3d_productivity

It couldn't be any simpler. Really, if you're not smart enough to do this right, then you couldn't possibly have anything worth password protecting.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

BTW, I do not have an option on my right-click new menu for compressed (zip) folder.

Anyway, I used to have a cool program called PC Security that password protected folders. It worked well, but I know you don't want a thrid party program.

8. kl

kl New Member

Uh, XP has this built in already. If you right click on the folder and click on sharing and security, you can control which users have access to it. Make yourself an admin account then control the permissions of the standard account. It should prompt you for a user and password if the current user does not have permission (e.g. to open a folder the system passes the current user credentials to the user/pass prompt. If the system doesn't like it, it will prompt for another user/pass). This applies to Domains and Workgroup situations.

A couple things to remember:

1. Deny permissions always overrides allow if there are two different permission sets for your account. e.g. if you are part of the admin group, and you grant permission for your user but deny the admin group, you will be denied permission. To limit the permission simply unclick the allow.

2. Use the advanced button to apply the permissions to all child objects within a folder.

9. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

the catch is that on our college network...there is an easy way the i have found to access all the files from any student...so i was wondering if i could create a folder to put allmy stuff in that needs a password to have anything done to it!!!

10. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

To the idiots calling him an idiot...not all versions of XP has permissions for folders. My version XP Home doesn't allow me to password protect folders either.

11. kl

kl New Member

Ok, details about the situation help. This is a network share then correct? If you're in a domain/AD enviroment, then XP permissions still apply. If you're on XP home or ME or 98, you're kind of SOL as far as things included in the OS. If you have data you need to protect, why not just get a USB flash drive that you can carry with you. That way you have access to your data and it's secure as long as you don't lose it.

12. nicklk

nicklk New Member

You cant password protect the folder, but you password protect the contents of the folder.......

13. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

yeah basically every student at college has got their own folder...and i have found a way of getting into see all the folders...(there is NO PROTECTION)...so i was wondering if using XP ONLY i can make a folder password protected??

14. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Is this your own personal computer that happens to be connected to the school's network? Or is this like a computer in a lab somewhere at your school? If it is the former, why not just not put stuff you don't want others to see in a folder that is not shared on the network? As far as I know, there is no way to password protect a folder in XP (at least not in XP Pro) unless you're talking about a shared folder. But even then, like I said, just don't save these files in that shared folder...

If you're talking about a network drive (like F: ) on a school's computer lab network or something like that, then I believe you're SOL. Just don't save whatever you're trying to hide on the network drive.

IBhe'stryingtohidesomepr0n

15. C_Blyth

C_Blyth Guest

no what is that i have a ton of course work...and i don't what some comedian to go and delete my stuff...you know what i mean!!!

it isn't my computer...it is my network space on the college network..

dam so i can't do it!!!

16. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Your best bet would be to let the network admin know about it... If people really can go and delete stuff from other's network folders, then he's got a problem...

That and don't store important files on the network folder. I think someone suggested buying a USB flash drive. Those things are great. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a back-up copy of your important stuff anyway.

17. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

To be able to protect folders, you need to be using the NTFS file format.

If you are using FAT32, you need to convert it anyway imho.

NTFS on XP machines will have share & security, FAT32 will only have share.

For a quick fix,
    File and print sharing are enabled by default, check your network connection settings
    take the check out of the box and no on on the network can map to your drives/view your files.

18. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

Again, not true on all versions of XP. There is no way to set security settings on my version of XP Home on NTFS folders.

19. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

Really? Try this.
    Make sure you set your shared folders to be read only, hide the file shares by using a $ sign after the folder name, or if your using the NTFS file system, use the 'Make Private" option in the folder properties.

20. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

21. kl

kl New Member

You need to turn off simple file sharing on your XP box. I forgot how to do it, it's in the administrative tools somehwere. It's been a while since I installed a version of XP I guess :)

22. mr_belvedere

mr_belvedere Guest

if you have XP Home you get no security

23. Nitron

Nitron New Member

Xp Pro Only Has These Features