Major Regarding Computers, im desperate for help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kin, Jan 8, 2003.

1. kin

kin Guest

Ok, well im a student @ UNC Charlotte, & I've looked at the job market. Full knowing that i want a job regarding computers somehow i took ITCS & discovered that i didnt like working w/ programming languages & software. I took Cisco's 4 semester course, & on my way to be a CCNA. What other kinds of majors regarding computers are out there for Hardware, networking, & etc. Do u think that working for Cisco would be a bad idea?

2. Toaster

Toaster Guest

trust me you wont be working for cisco with a ccna.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

4. kin

kin Guest

no fellas, im going to get my CCNA, but i will work on CCNP or CCIE in the future, just wondering if its a good field to go into (good $$ & Stable) what major should i do in college to help me with getting a job there.

5. Dommi

Dommi Guest

you probably wont get a chance to take the practical for your ccie without major corporate sponsorship

6. Toaster

Toaster Guest

the ccie practical is $1200 , my co-worker just passed. the level of difficulty from a CCNA to a CCIE is so huge , it would take years for you to get to that level.

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Plus one will NEVER know what industry is "good $$ & stable". For instance, who would've thought that computers, initially a hobby-ist's activity, would become a trillion dollar industry?

Just do your best, work hard, work smart.

-crontab -l

8. Dommi

Dommi Guest

:rant:
    except when the hiring trends are down by 44 percent

9. kin

kin Guest

The one question i have regarding all of this is, what major do i pursue in college pertaining to Cisco-like criteria.

10. Dommi

Dommi Guest

something engineering related
    not sure but maybe EE

11. DatacomGuy

Isn't there a network engineering degree?

12. Dommi

Dommi Guest

13. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

I've never heard of a networking engineeinr degree per say, only Comp Sci, Comp Eng, and EE. Probably CE would be your best bet.

14. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

EE is usually pretty good. CE is probably a pretty good option too. I know alot of people who get IS degrees and end up doing networking.

15. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep, Comp Eng is what you'd probably want (if you were here at least, not sure what there is at your college). Electrical Eng could be OK too.

16. DatacomGuy

Yes, and from what I hear, stay away from MIS degrees. According to salary surveys, they tend to make less and advance less.

My understanding is that CE or CS degrees are geared towards computer engineering, design, programming whereas MIS degrees are geared more towards network and system support..

17. 04

04 Guest

:eek:

Uh oh, I am going for an MIS degree..... :(

But I like network and system support :dunno:

18. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Eh, less does not mean none or little. (M)IS majors still get paid a reasonable amount, just not as much on average. Do what you enjoy doing, don't do it for the salary.