Major RedHat 9 Questions (Warning : n00b at the mouse!)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4W4K3, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

OK, now that i've got RedHat9 installed...i'm totally clueless! hah!

First, i've got it on a seperate 40GB Matrox my dad graciously gave me. So i'm dual booting off 2 seperate HDD's. I installed the "basic" stuff. Desktop settings with the "standard" packages that ocomes with. I didn't install anything else.

Question #1 : Where is all my hardware? In the hardware listings it has maybe 6 things...and nothing else. This obviously isn't like Windows, so how can i succesfully have it recognize all my hardware?

Question #2 : How can i get RH to recognize my graphics card? I'm using an FIC Radeon 9200. Windows recognizes it as an "ELSA FALCOX RADEON 920FX" but that's not an option :( I've tried a few generic Radeon AGP drivers but they don't work.

Question #3 : My wireless card is supported by MadWifi (looked it up, Atheros drivers and chipset supported.) But without internet (obviously) how am i going to get MadWifi on my computer? It's too big for a floppy!

Question #4 : What are the most important packages a normal user will need? Anything that i really shouldn't be running without?

I will have more questions i am sure.

PLEASE be patient with me and try to help out. I realize it's a realy pain to come across a Linux n00b who is begging for assistance, but everyone was a n00b once! Any links will be great, maybe i can find the answer myself and not bother you guys so much.

Thanks!

2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Why are you using Redhat 9? Is there a specific reason?

With these questions, I would suggest Ubuntu to you instead. They have good wireless support and a better interface for dealing with new users.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I was told redhat was one of the most user friendly distros around.

lol redhat has all the stuff i need (support wise) it's just on the internet. there's my problem. ad im trying to get it on my PC from the internet, without internet, so i can HAVE internet. if only i could be wired! too far away though:(

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yeah, but it is no longer patched. you should be running the latest fedora core or another distro

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

well...is it possible to download and install fedora without using CD's (within RedHat)? If it is, i need to get my internet working in RedHat so i can do that.

because i can't burn anymore CD's. this really isn't supposed to be a work computer or anything, i jsut wanted to dip my feet in Linux and see how i liked it. if i can mess with it for a good long time then i can go 100% and wipe my 80GB of Wincrash (i mean M$ Windows.)

im not really concerned about having the latest and greatest distro, i would have used RedHat 5 if my dad could have found the CD's.

6. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

ill answer to the best of my ability, and anyone is welcome to correct mistakes i make....but i definately suggest going fedora over RH9...

1. hardware in linux is not listed by any device manager unless you get some third party app (i have seen none personally)....instead you will find /dev to be full of devices...you will need to get used to the naming conventions tho, ie. hda being your first hard drive, sda being your first scsi disk...for even more detailed info check the proc directory for cpu info and more

2. Since your using RH9 your card may not be supported by the included radeon driver...usually you just change your X11/Xorg config file to point to "radeon" andyoru good to go....when i had Fedora3 going at home it recognized my 8500 just fine....but yours may not be as lucky..especially in RH9....you could try pulling the linux driver from ati...that is if they have one up (i seem to recall seeing a .sh file up there at one point)

3. Dont know much about wireless in linux....dont have a working router at home yet that can dish out the signal...but im sure youll get better support under fedora 4

4. this is all dependent on what you want to do with the box....distros like fedora/RH, mandrake, ubuntu, etc. usually come with all you need to get a working desktop workstation...

i have not been able to HTTP install fedora, tho i have seen mention of it....and if all you want to do is dip your feet you might be better off looking at a live cd (knoppix, slax, etc)....requires no installation and gives you a working os on boot that you can get rid of when you reboot...

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i have the a knoppix CD .iso, but i only was able to burn 3 CD's lol. so it was either knoppix and part of RH9, or all of RH9 and no knoppix. :-/

im confident i could get all the right files/drivers i need off the internet and get it working in no time. thing is...i need internet first lmao. i guess i will have to try and find a way to get a wired connection.

no possible way to transfer drivers from Windows to RH9 i am sure. if i save the linux ones in a folder. (laughs at the mere thought of it)

8. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

do you have a portable usb drive? would work well for transering files to and from non-networked linux and windows machines....better yet, after having re read your original post, boot your windows partition, download what you need (folder on desktop would be easiest) then boot back to linux and mount the first hdd to /mnt and you have full access to them

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i have a lexar jump drive i used to transfer files. i had madwifi, my ati drivers, nvidia chipset drivers, and some other files madwifi needs to use to work. but once i got the usb rive to work with redhat, none of the files would actually run. they were .rpm and .gzr linux files so i dunno why they wouldn't work.

i've since gotten rid of redhat 9 and i'm back on XP for the time being. i'm gonna give Ubuntu a try later on, since someone i know said that my wireless card was auto detected on there system and they just booted up and it recognized there network and everything pretty much. if i can get internte on Linux i can keep it and use the internet to troubleshoot any other probs i have wthin the OS.

thanks for the help guys.