Major Processor Education needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJMattyMat, Jan 5, 2005.

1. DJMattyMat

DJMattyMat New Member

Im shopping for my first Laptop, and am open to all Brands right now, even tho im more partial to Dell.

I know what features i want on my laptop, but just need to get educated on processor types/speeds what would be best for what im going to be using the computer for.

So, please give me some advice, heres the jist of what i want in there so far, and what i will be using it for.

512 Ram
    60-80 gig HD
    Ethernet & wireless connections
    Cd burner
    DVD player

Using it mostly for suring OT, a lot of downloading, NO games, but will play movies.
    Some web design, and music editing

I just have no idea what any of the processor specs mean/relate to. This is the only thing holding me back from making my decision.

Examples:
    Whats the difference between these processors?
    Intel® Pentium® M 725 Processor (1.60GHz/400MHz FSB)

Pentium®M Processor 7251.60GHz/400MHz FSB14.1-inXGA, 32MB Vid

Pentium® 4 Processor 3.40GHz w/ HT Tech, 15.4-in WUXGA

TIA,
    Matt

2. zabuni

zabuni New Member

The Pentium M Processors (The first and second choices, both are 1.6 Ghz) and Intel's Mobile line of Processors. They are low power, have a low clockspeed, but do more per clock speed. So the 1.6 Ghz speed is misleading. Most that speed perform in the area of 2.5 or so Ghz P4. They also consume much less power than the P4's With my 1.3 Pentium M, I usually get 3-4 hours using the wireless on a battery charge.

The other processor is a mobile P4, a clocked down (slightly) version of the desktop model. It will be faster than the first two, it will also suck power like a hoover. Expect no more than an hour or two of power from your batteries.

For tooling around surfing, and browsing the web, both systems will work well. The second system appears to have a non-Intel graphics card, but that wouldn't matter that much because you don't play games. What it comes down to is what you will use the system for. If you are going to be away from a power plug most of the time, go for a pentium m. If you can be sure that you will always be by a wall socket, go for more power with the P4.

3. DJMattyMat

DJMattyMat New Member

thanks for the info! I really appreciate the writeup. As far as other Intel, Pentium chips go, i want the fastest/highest Ghz i can get, if battery life isn't my issue/concern?

4. zabuni

zabuni New Member

For most web browsing and design, anything above 2 Ghz will be fine. Most everything else is overkill. The faster the processor, the faster some things will be (Photoshop filters, audio filters). Most everyday tasks (Web browsing, listening to music, AIM/IRC) are easily done on almost any computer sold today, laptop or desktop. So, faster is better, but getting the absolute fastest is usually overkill, both computing wise and for your wallet.

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I second the M series processors, great on battery life. My work IBM T41 has one, it's great with all the built in Centrino stuff.

6. >>have a low clockspeed, but do more per clock speed. So the 1.6 Ghz speed >>is misleading. Most that speed perform in the area of 2.5 or so Ghz P4. They

What do you mean "do more per clock speed"? 1.6 Ghz is 1.6Ghz. Unless maybe the CPU and OS is 64-bit, which i know the Pentium-M's and Win XP are not.

Not flamming, but please tell me how this is so.

Also, 745 is the newer mobile. Still 2MB cache (which is great) and 400mhz bus but @ 1.8Ghz.

Look at IBM's T series.
    All your friends with Dells will drool.

7. zabuni

zabuni New Member

Centrinos have a larger instruction per clock cycle (IPC) than their P4 counterparts. The higher the clock speed, the more power consumed. The centrino was designed to do more with less, so as to have lower power consumption. Here's a web page with rough equivalents:

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinoprovider.html

The pentium 4 at 2.4 Ghz is about equal to the 1.6 Ghz centrino. A 3.4 will still stomp both though.

Also, this can be seen in the megahertz myth, an argument point in the whole Mac vs. PC wars. The macs always had lower processor speeds, but the architecture of the PowerPC had a higher IPC than the Pentiums.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,658968,00.html

This is also why both Intel and AMD have been shying away from using clock speeds as the names of their new processors. It's a 745, not a 1.8 Mhz Centrino.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

8. OK I see where you are going. Yes you are right that pentium Ms (not centrino, centrino is just a marketing term for PM+855+802.11b) anyways do have larger IPC per clock. Keep in mind that the P-M moves larger IPC at a slower rate (clock) while the P4 moves less IPC at a faster rate. Hence, it still a possibility that both instrctions CAN be finished at the same time.
    SO your theory of how PM 1.6 can perform like a 2.4 p4 is sound.
    BUT NO bencmark shows this. It only shows total CPU performance which can be misleading. Both got different caches, how you know its not the cache that making it complete tasks faster? pipelines etc... BTW i think clock speed is a VERY GOOD indication of performance, not the only one you should look at but one of the several factors to consider.

I thought that since powerpcs could bridge 64bit addressing is the reason why they have an advantage over pc. to each his own i guess.

Also, that intel www says that they are using new naming schems based on giving more information on type of cpu, not becasue clock speed is misleading. My opinion is that since both companies plan to remain under the 4 gig level why continue to market using this same strategy - hence number series.

9. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

With the AMDs at least, clock speed isn't a very good indicator of performance. The FX-53 runs at 2.4GHz and so does the 3700+, yet I have no doubt about what the winner in a benchmark contest would be. Also, the FX-53 would run all over a P4 2.4GHz.