Major oil leak after hitting pothole

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by blackbirdbeatle, Apr 16, 2007.

1. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

So I have an unmodified 98 CivicLX 4 door. Basic everything, power nothing. I bought it because I thought it woudl last forever. Well the shitty Calgary roads and the billion potholes finally got to it.

After hitting one I started to leak a lot of oil. I smelled smoked an immediately pulled over. Lifted the hood but no smoke, also very little oil left(But there is enough to register on the dipstick) and a trail of oil behind me. Shut off the car before it siezed. There is also oil sprayed over part of the engine. I checked the oil plug and it's on and good as well as the filter. I just changed it less than 400km's ago.

I got it towed to a shop but they are closed today. What do you think this could be? Possibly a cam or crank seal problem? That may explain the spraying.

I have about 90km's on it(56,000 miles) and I have never changed these seals or the water pump or the timing belt. Should I do this all in one chunk? I really can't afford a $1000 bill.

I know that the seals are like $6 each and they take maybe 3 or so hours to replace but I don't have the knowledge to do this, even though my car is really basic.

How much do you think this should cost to replace the seals? For the timing belt/pump/seals? Am I screwed in expecting this problem to cost me under $100 to fix?

maybe it's a hose.

Thanks for any help.

2. eof

eof New Member

This happened to me with my 98 Civic once....it is a manifold failure.

3. blackbirdbeatle

That sounds expensive. Is it?

I have also been told it could be a crack in the oil pan. Also somethign to do with an external oil cooler line.

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

If I had to guess I would say you cracked the oil pan. Wheel drops into hole, suspension compresses, oil pan hits pavement, pavement wins. Did this once to my first car. I don't know if the oil pan is steel or aluminum, if it's steel it can possibly be repaired, but an aluminum pan has to be replaced.

There are no external oil coolers or hoses on a Civic. It's water-cooled, not air-cooled like an old Volkswagen.

5. blackbirdbeatle

It's steel. It's pretty damn thick.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

regardless, if it's just the pan, those are inexpensive to fix.

7. blackbirdbeatle

Thanks. I'll find out tomorrow and see what it is. If it's the pan then I'll have someone fix it. I could get it fixed back home for cheap but unfortunately thats about 180 miles away.

It'll cost me $180 overnight shipped for a shitty aluminum pan and gasket(Which will no doubt get ripped again in one of the many potholes in this mecca of wealth and oil opulence). Plus thier labour, which shouldn't be more than an hour as all they have to do is fucking take off some bolts and scrape off an existing gasket. Either way it shouldn't be that much but I sure as hell hope that they can fix the existing one. That one was solid and lasted through many potholes.

8. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

At the shop I work at, we get these about once a week.
    The usuall cost comes to about $380 for parts and labor.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This is why VWs have bellypans under the engine.