Major iPod issue, need advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sirreal, Jun 16, 2006.

1. sirreal

sirreal Unblockable OT Supporter

Basically I have an iPod that stopped working. It's a 4th generation with the click wheel. I hit their website and did the 5 R's, and have done a lot with it and the updater software, but for some reason, the click wheel will not respond after my reset.

Right now it's sitting at LANGUAGES and is highlighting Engrish. I can't hit the middle select button, it just doesn't do anything. I know for a fact that the click wheel isn't effed up because in order to reset it, I needed to hit the MENU button and that same select button. Whenever I try that, it resets itself, and goes to the LANGUAGE screen again, but nothing else.

I've rolled back to older updaters, restored, everything I can think of, and I still think it's a software issue. People on the Mac forums (2 or 3) have the same issue but no one has answered their questions. I've called Apple and found out my warranty expired at the end of March, and both times I called them both techs said it sounded like it would cost me almost as much to fix it as I spent on it, as it's a 30GB Color iPod. I'm running it on an XP machine btw.

My buddy has a brand new Nano (few months old) and is having the same exact problem. WTF? Does anyone have a clue at all on how to fix this?

2. sirreal

I refuse to believe no one has seen this :wtc:

3. easy4lif

easy4lif New Member

have u tried resetting the ipod to factory settings by connecting the ipod to your computer and running the ipod software updater.

try that and report back

4. sirreal

Yup, many times. I've gone through that updater and at first selected UPDATE, which updates the software on the iPod itself and then I did it again and selected RESTORE, which wipes it clean restores the factory settings.Where I am now is right after that, it is stuck on the LANGUAGES option, and the select button doesn't want to work now, although it does work any time I go and do the manual reset by holding the MENU and SELECT button.

5. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

okay, ive had stuff like this happen on a few. i put together a edu for how to try and fix an ipod thats out of warranty. basically it cuts the power, resets the ipod for real, formats the drive, and restores again.

give it a shot if you dare:
    http://www.ilovesueb.com/Site/ipod fix0r.html

i recently came across one where the buttons worked but the wheel would not scroll - for that i tried everything but eventually settled on ordering a new faceplate for $30 on ebay and putting it back together.

let me know how it goes. PM me

6. sirreal

Since it's definitely out of warranty and is just a pretty paperweight right now, I'm down for trying this.

Excellent, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks mang! :hsd:

7. sirreal

Ok...so Round 1 of the old Format did not work...got to the very end and crapped out and said it was not a proper disc or some crap. I'll try it again tonight.