A&P Major in Photography?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 4W4K3, Nov 9, 2005.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Is that a major? I have no idea. I want to take photography in college, and I know the community college I am looking at has numerous classes. I think you have to have at least 60 credit hours though.

Anyone here do this? Advice?

2. I know alot of people that advise not to do it. Also I know a lot of people that did graduate with an associates and they're not making all that much money. I mean if you want to go to college to make like $12/hour then go for it! :hs:

School can't make you creative, you just are or you're not...

But if you want to learn about some techniques then ok you can go to school or do like most of us here on OT and look through the internet and learn off of eachothers criticism :dunno:

Dunno, that's just my take on the matter. Yea people tell me since I like photography soo much I should switch majors... :gtfo:
    Computers and Networking $$$ > Photography :mamoru:

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I'm the exact opposite, i've been into building computers for about 4 years, and i love it. But i would NEVER make a career out of it, it's jsut a hobby and i don't want to take it any further for fear of getting "burned out" about it you know?

All the majors I am looking at seem to be low paying :( Writing, Photography, Mechanic...:sigh:

But I am still looking into photography...I mean not everyone who does this ends up poor.

4. Do you have anything that you've taken to show right now, or you havn't bought a camera yet? It can get expensive and so can being a mechanic, but I think being a mechanic is a dirty ass job but there is ALWAYS work for a mechanic. I wish I could be one, my dad has 4 nice size houses and a few cars and a time share in Florida... :hs:

So I guess being a mechanic isn't all that bad :dunno:

But let me tell you this, I never took any classes or anythign in photography and I get paid to take pics at car shows. I'm not trying to brag but it's usually around 2-5 hundred for a weekend, if you think about it it's not that much because local car shows aren't every weekend... :hs: And my friend Ashley's uncle owns his own photography business and he saw a couple of my pictures and he was asking her about me. I don't know if he was interested in hiring me or not (probably not, heh jk) but I bet I could get a job working with him and I don't even have a super nice camera nor a college bg in photography. :dunno:

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

All i got is a 4MP P&S Casio Exilim EX-Z40, definelty nothing compared to a SLR or DSLR, and it has very limited options, takes half-ass pictures.

I know next to nothing about cars as well, so i doubt being a mechanic is practivcal for me unless i bust my ass and learn everything by the books in 4 years of college. Knowing me that won't happen, but it's a dream...and most likely it will be like my computer hobby, just a hobby.

Senior in highschool, out in months...and I STILL have no idea what I'm going to do, is this normal...?

6. kendan

kendan New Member

Taking photography in college is fun, but making a major out of it is a little daring. You should probably just take all of your basics first and one or two photography classes before you jump into it.

7. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I am a photo major at Ohio State. It falls under their B.F.A. program. Requires 196 hours minimum to graduate. The photo program itself is composed of 65 credit hours you must complete.

8. Hua

It is not cheap to be an art major. I know viperx27 on here is a photo major at Brooks Institute, which is a much better photo school than OSU. OSU is a film based photo program. We have broke ass 30 year old enlargers among other old ass equipment. With Kodak getting out of the B&W paper biz, we are pretty much left with Ilford. Prices of everything film related are going up since everyone does digital. A box of 100ct. RC Variable Contrast B&W paper runs $40. Grain focuser, touch up pens, developing tanks, all kinds of bullshit. Just get your GECs done with first. That should occupy you first year or two.

9. mads.

mads. OT Supporter

im a photography major at Ontario College of Art and Design,
    unfortunatly the first year program is all bs drawing and so on and so forth, but if this thread is around next month, i will let you know how it goes, from past experiances photography is an expensive hobby/major, whether it'd be film or Digital.

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I think kendan was right, and I should probably get my regular classes out of the way and start off light with photography, just to see what it's like. Hopefully I can afford it if I enjoy it, being community college i'm not sure how it will compare to that of Brooks Institute or OSU and the others you mentioned, but after my second year I plan to transfer to a "real" college/university if i'm doing good enough.

11. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

I just graduated from photography school, and depending from what you graduate you can make a rea lly good living out of it.
    If your major is Fine art photography you'll probably make money after you die.
    If you major on commercial photography it will be harder to break into but if you make it will be worth it. This includes fashion photography, food photography, product,corporate ...... commercial is divided into 2, editorial (any to very little money) and advertising (this is whre the money is at)

Then there's consumer; portraits, weddings. Very easy to make fast money, and if you get to be a high end cunsumer photographer you will be able to make a really good living out of it.

You don't really need to be a "photographer" if you want to be in photography. You can be a digital retoucher, photo assistant, photo tech studio manager..... it is much better if you have a background in photography though.

As for me, I am working with a fashion photographer doing all his retouching, I also assist him for jobs, and other photographers as well.
    I get payed from 150 - 300 a day for jobs depending on what the job involves, and $10 for office work (retouching, uploading........) and I will be start to make testing for models and that will usually be >$150

The most important thing is to learn how to market yourself....

12. Taking notes......

Is all your work digital / film or both??

13. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Heh... 12 an hour after photo school is way fuckin depressing. I make 9/hr and I haven't even got out of highschool yet. Taxes are a bitch though.

14. BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony This one goes to 11

There are a lot of slackers that major in photo because they think it's easy. I changed my major to photojournalism and a minor in photo that way I can still do my fine art photos, and make a decent living getting paid to travel and shoot for newspapers/periodicals and stuff.

15. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

do you have to major in photography to get into the business?

16. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

nope, like film and other similar businesses its more about who you know and being at the right place at the right time more than anything IMO.

17. sony

sony Active Member

The most beneficial part of majoring in photography is learning the business aspect of it. :run:

18. Hua

Also write that piece of advice down. :bigthumb:

19. mojito

mojito New Member

if you're going to go to school for it, go to the best. RIT and Brooks are the way to go. Personally I'm leaving Brooks to finish a degree in marketing and using what I got from Brooks to start my own business.

Theres no point in majoring in photography in a normal university, they just don't have the knowledge and resources to justify it.

If you have real questions about it PM me

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

yah...if you can pay my tuition and out of state expenses i'll jump on that opportunity:ugh: i'm lucky to go to community college and have a beater car when i graduate highschool.

21. mojito

mojito New Member

its an investment. Like I said, its either all or nothing. Half assing it will get you no where. If you can't do it, then major in business and study under someone

22. mojito

mojito New Member

holy mother :werd:

some of the best photographers are the worst businessmen, and the best businessmen in photography are the ones that get paid.

I love seeing all the fine art photo majors graduate then go "um, so wheres my 100k job? I graduated and shit, so, like I'm done right?". Its like, uh, you need to go do that yourself, now :gtfo:

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

...it's not like i have the money and choose not to use it. i cant afford it, my parents cant afford it, and at 18 i dont think its wise to go into lifetime debt over a major that i'm not even sure is going to be beneficial in the end. if it was a guaranteed high-paying major, sure i'd do it cuz i know i can pay off the loans and all when i get out. but if i can pick a different major at community college that i like (which is definetly not business) and have the same chances of being successful....i'll pick no debt.

24. mojito

mojito New Member

thats coo, I'm just letting you know. There are many in my school 125k+ in debt, so it is possible to come without anything. Whether or not its a good idea, well thats another day.

If you really want to have a career in photography, find a pro and study under them. You'll learn what it actually takes to make it on your own one day.

If you just study at a normal university, you will be at a severe disadvantage once you graduate.

25. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i can consider going half an half, 2 years community and then 2 years at a better school, but its too far away to have a definite plan.

i'd love to study under someone to get the fell of things and see if i can handle it...i never thought of that. all this decision making blocks out the obviosu.